Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 116

User Info Menu

Our standard for Feb 2018 will be Embraceable You - by George & Ira Gershwin (1930).

Background:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Embraceable You)

Contrafacts:
    Quasimodo - Charlie Parker

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Another tune I've played a million times, and then for some reason, put away and not played in ages. Looking forward to remembering this one.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

This is the best take without any improvisation:

User Info Menu

Hi Kris, great song! Was the guitarist on this track Doug Raney?

wiz (Howie)
    Howie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739 View Post
    Hi Kris, great song! Was the guitarist on this track Doug Raney?

wiz (Howie)
    Hi Howie,

Chet Baker - Embraceable You
    From alblum " Embraceable You " (1957)
    Guitar : David Wheat
    Bass : Ross Savakus

Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Another tune I've played a million times, and then for some reason, put away and not played in ages. Looking forward to remembering this one.
    Strangely, I've never played it before and, believe it or not, couldn't even remember it. But then I'm no romantic so maybe it didn't stick.

Anyway, looking forward to see what you do with it

User Info Menu

I love this tune

User Info Menu

I have sugesstion for guitarists who like to show multiversions:
    Play every another take in different key.
    You will really know the tune if you can play it in every key...I think it was from great Joe Pass.

User Info Menu

My favorite version.

Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

User Info Menu

(The UK can't see that vid but the album's on Spotify).

User Info Menu

My favorite:

I once transcribed Oscar's solo on this. Very unique player.

User Info Menu

Don Patterson (og) Pat Martino (g)

User Info Menu

One of my faves, here is a version I did with a vocal. The guitar is tuned down a minor third so this version is in the key of E

looking forward to other submissions.

all the best

User Info Menu

Tim, this is just lovely!
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

User Info Menu

To kick things off for me, here's a pretty composed thing...it's funny how quickly this came back to me, I played it like this 10-12 years ago, when I worked out heads a lot more than I do now...

Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

User Info Menu

Tim, this is just lovely!
    thank you Jeff,
    I not a real singer but sometimes its fun to accompany one and I was the only singer that was handy at the time.

I just finished listening to yours. Its really nice. I love the sound of that guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TLerch View Post
    thank you Jeff,
    I not a real singer but sometimes its fun to accompany one and I was the only singer that was handy at the time.

I just finished listening to yours. Its really nice. I love the sound of that guitar.
    Thanks Tim...it's funny how sometimes a Lil cheapie like this records so nice...

Anyway, I'm no singer either, but I'm pretty sure I'll have to sing this one too this month. Channel my inner Chet/Frank/JohnnyM...
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TLerch View Post
    One of my faves, here is a version I did with a vocal. The guitar is tuned down a minor third so this version is in the key of E

looking forward to other submissions.

all the best
    Hi Tim,
    This is a great take.
    Beautiful playing. You have the best jazz Telecaster sound on Youtube -I think.
    Exelent fingerstyle comping and solo. Nice voice and pleasure to hear it...
    Jazzingly Yours
    kris

User Info Menu

thank you Kris.

User Info Menu

There is my take on Stratocaster style guitar/D'Addario 11th strings/.
    I/ve tried playing the head with more sustain notes...I hope you like it.
    The key of G.I've played over these chords:
    February 2018 - Embraceable You-embraceable-you-1-jpg
    Best
    kris
    https://app.box.com/s/qgkpl99uaa7eseb3tpb6b5qponewts9n
    Last edited by kris; 02-04-2018 at 04:05 AM.

User Info Menu

It wasn't bad. The thing I found with this tune is that it's hard to keep the feel of it whilst improvising. It's easy enough to run round the changes but probably one has to somehow keep that intimate and romantic feel to it.

If I did more chord-melody I'd do that, I think. I've sort of lost touch with that these days but that's what I'd do. As an instrumental, that is. Beaumont had the right idea but I'd like to hear him do it in a quiet place!

This is nice (sorry to post another YouTube). Always did like Ed Bickert.

User Info Menu

ragman1,
    Look at romantic feel solo...:-)

User Info Menu

I've already seen it. Anybody can see YouTube. Anyway, that's gypsy music. That's why it works. And at 1.14 it stops being romantic.

User Info Menu

Tim, I love listening to your playing, you have such a great touch!

Ragman, there's a nice vibe on your version! Well done.

Jeff, always enjoy your videos, full of cool ideas! Like you, I used to play this a lot more but haven't played it in a few years.

Here's a short take I did this morning as I get reacquainted with the tune...

User Info Menu

Paul, sounding great! I really like the way that G&L seems to inspire you to play.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

User Info Menu

To kick things off for me, here's a pretty composed thing...it's funny how quickly this came back to me, I played it like this 10-12 years ago, when I worked out heads a lot more than I do now...

hi Jeff,
    Very nice playing.Great arrange for fingerstyle guitar.
    What acoustic guitar you play?It sounds very warm and clean.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris View Post
    hi Jeff,
    Very nice playing.Great arrange for fingerstyle guitar.
    What acoustic guitar you play?It sounds very warm and clean.
    Best
    Kris
    thanks Kris!

I'm actually playing hybrid, pick in my hand too.

The guitar is a $150 Recording King "dirty 30's" parlor. I love this little cheapie.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

User Info Menu

thanks Kris!

I'm actually playing hybrid, pick in my hand too.

The guitar is a $150 Recording King "dirty 30's" parlor. I love this little cheapie.
    Jeff,
    Sure hybrid picking.
    Guitar for $150 sounds really good in your hands.I am looking for nice Parlor.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PaulD View Post

Jeff, always enjoy your videos, full of cool ideas! Like you, I used to play this a lot more but haven't played it in a few years.

Hello Paul,
    Very nice ad lib take...a lot of cool chords with beautifull voicings.
    All The Best
    Kris
    ps.
    I think the key of G is most comfortable for solo guitarists.

User Info Menu

February 2018 - Embraceable You-embraceable-you-1-jpg
    Ah, good, some chords. I was going to ask what changes people were using. Is there some standard accepted version or are there many?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    It wasn't bad. The thing I found with this tune is that it's hard to keep the feel of it whilst improvising. It's easy enough to run round the changes but probably one has to somehow keep that intimate and romantic feel to it.

If I did more chord-melody I'd do that, I think. I've sort of lost touch with that these days but that's what I'd do. As an instrumental, that is. Beaumont had the right idea but I'd like to hear him do it in a quiet place!

This is nice (sorry to post another YouTube). Always did like Ed Bickert.

I could listen to Ed Bickert all day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

There is my take on Stratocaster style guitar/D'Addario 11th strings/.
    I/ve tried playing the head with more sustain notes...I hope you like it.

Best
    kris
    https://app.box.com/s/qgkpl99uaa7eseb3tpb6b5qponewts9n
    Kris, I somehow missed yours before. Beautiful! Very Bickert-esque!

User Info Menu

Kris, I somehow missed yours before. Beautiful! Very Bickert-esque!

Paul it's Ok.
    Do not worry.
    I like your playing on Tele.
    Thanks
    Jazzingly
    kris

User Info Menu

Wow Paul that was fabulous, it really sung to me.
    “When you’re creating your own ...., man, even the sky ain’t the limit.”
    Miles Davis

User Info Menu

Ah, good, some chords. I was going to ask what changes people were using. Is there some standard accepted version or are there many?
    People/artists/ are using different changes.The best way is hearing versions by masters/guitarist,pianists etc../.
    It is good ear training for everybody to take changes from recordings.
    For ex. there are great changes from Kenny Barron/pianist/ concert take in the key of F:
    February 2018 - Embraceable You-embraceable-you-2-jpg

User Info Menu

Some really great playing here. Most of the people who've posted so far are full-time players or teachers one way or the other, right?
    "Really welding was my talent, I think, but I sort of swished it aside." Wes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysideup View Post
    Some really great playing here. Most of the people who've posted so far are full-time players or teachers one way or the other, right?

it is an open thread ....
    ...from beginers to more advanced....
    ...all coments are positive...

User Info Menu

I have to agree that between this thread and the CMelody one discussing DOWAR there are some really great performances.

I've been spending all my spare time following the discussions/performances and picking up any crumbs of knowledge that I can.

I'd like to thank all contributors for sharing with those of us who are not as advanced.

User Info Menu

it is an open thread ....
    ...from beginers to more advanced....
    ...all coments are positive...
    Thanks Kris, I appreciate it.

My question was really trying to find out how much time the posters spend on playing - whether it's a full-time job for them or not. I can't imagine many of these posters doing this (both the quantity and the quality) after a "regular" job and other responsibilities. But I am often wrong!

I don't think this question has ever been raised before (at least I've never seen it), and maybe it's none of my business :-)

User Info Menu

Well, I dunno if my post was any good, but I am not a pro. I'm a full time high school visual art teacher, I do run some after school music things...until very recently, I taught private lessons.

I started young, gigging at 12, but not jazz. Probably played a few hundred gigs by age 22, when I got a real job...so basically, I'm either desensitized or just too dumb to be scared of putting myself out there
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

User Info Menu

I knew from some of yr other posts Jeff that you are a teacher - your playing's so fluent I'd assumed you must be a music/guitar teacher. Great stuff!

User Info Menu

I'm not really a pro either, other than an occasional gig here and there, otherwise I'm just a retired IT guy who really likes to play guitar .

User Info Menu

Looks like I am a pro...
    I played a lot of jazz gigs but not only.
    I started to play guitar at age on 10 years old.
    I,ve studied classical guitar first.I participated in many jazz competitions with some suceses/most important in 1978-gold Washoard Cometition-first place as soloist/.
    I played in different bands from guitar duet to big bands /about 35 years/.
    I still play jazz on my guitars and I like it and I like to share my expirience too.
    I still learn as everybody here at this thread.
    Best
    Kris
    February 2018 - Embraceable You-wolinski-watson-jpg
    me& Bobby Watson -festival gig Warsaw
    Last edited by kris; 02-06-2018 at 03:59 AM.

User Info Menu

There is one chorus of my impro over Embraceable You in the of Eb/bossa style/.Changes from F.Hubbard...:

https://app.box.com/s/1mexk5u7mtfam97zatmyfw8e7n51o5r7
    February 2018 - Embraceable You-embraceable-you-3-jpg

User Info Menu

Well, it's very good - but is it 'Embraceable You'?

User Info Menu

Thanks Kris, I appreciate it.

My question was really trying to find out how much time the posters spend on playing - whether it's a full-time job for them or not. I can't imagine many of these posters doing this (both the quantity and the quality) after a "regular" job and other responsibilities. But I am often wrong!

I don't think this question has ever been raised before (at least I've never seen it), and maybe it's none of my business :-)
    I play professionally (2 to 5 gigs per week). I also have a day job ( I am a school teacher ). I have a wife and 2 kids ( they almost don’t recognize me without a guitar on my knee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Well, it's very good - but is it 'Embraceable You'?
    how do you think?

It is impro/exercise/ over 'Embraceable You' changes and it's a very melodic and romantic solo...

There is one chorus of my impro over Embraceable You in the of Eb/bossa style/.Changes from F.Hubbard...:

https://app.box.com/s/1mexk5u7mtfam97zatmyfw8e7n51o5r7
    February 2018 - Embraceable You-embraceable-you-3-jpg
    Very cool. I especially like the ahead phrasing at the end. horn like. Very different take. Thanks.

User Info Menu

WOW. Just, WOW! You really put a fresh shine on this old standard. I love the way the melody floats in and out, almost like it's playing peek-a-boo with the listener. And lovely tone as well. Worth the thread, for me.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town