The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 137 of 137

User Info Menu

Generally, I think the level of discussion on JGF is very high, intellectually, in relationship to some related sites on which I participate. There are many here who have done a great deal of thinking about Music and are seasoned players. But, we also need those who are neophytes who ask questions and make remarks about Music that help us evaluate and re-evaluate who we are and what we do with our instruments. Similarly, we must also respect that there are many roads that bring a player to Jazz(Classical,Rock, R&B/Funk,Country) which reflect how a particular musician approaches his music. But, for all of us, we must remember: we are no different from poets, painters, or sculptors . . . what WE create tells the world who We are in terms of our message: What we value and how we see the world musically. This should never be forgotten for anyone who seeks to communicate through Art. Good playing . . . Marinero

Here's soulman Roland Dyen's playing Django Reinhardt's classic "Nuages." Enjoy!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well, without Joe Pass I think it's fair to say my own style and perhaps even ability to make a living might not exist. Some people don't like an artist, some people like an artist enough/sometimes/partially, and some, like myself in this case, internalize an entire musical message and language. So, thanks, Joe. Jake Reichbart

User Info Menu

The bottom line on all this is that Joe Pass could hold a typical touristy, noisy and not necessarily ‘jazz-fan’ audience at Ronnie Scott’s silent and spellbound with an hour of solo jazz guitar. I know because I went there and saw him do it several times. You don’t get to pull that off unless you are a great musician.

It’s worth noting that Joe’s solo records are not necessarily my favourites, I admire them and like them in small doses, but they get a bit too ‘busy’ for me after a while. Yet I was held spellbound by his solo playing live.

I guess one of the problems with all these discussions is that a lot of people have not experienced the great jazz players live, they are just going by records, YouTube etc. Without that experience you are missing half the picture, jazz is really meant to be a live music form.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Reichbart
    Well, without Joe Pass I think it's fair to say my own style and perhaps even ability to make a living might not exist. Some people don't like an artist, some people like an artist enough/sometimes/partially, and some, like myself in this case, internalize an entire musical message and language. So, thanks, Joe. Jake Reichbart
    Thanks, Jake, for making that clear to me. I have been wondering about that as I listen to your music, and was sure that Joe Pass must have been a major influence for you.

Tony

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    The bottom line on all this is that Joe Pass could hold a typical touristy, noisy and not necessarily ‘jazz-fan’ audience at Ronnie Scott’s silent and spellbound with an hour of solo jazz guitar. I know because I went there and saw him do it several times. You don’t get to pull that off unless you are a great musician.

It’s worth noting that Joe’s solo records are not necessarily my favourites, I admire them and like them in small doses, but they get a bit too ‘busy’ for me after a while. Yet I was held spellbound by his solo playing live.

I guess one of the problems with all these discussions is that a lot of people have not experienced the great jazz players live, they are just going by records, YouTube etc. Without that experience you are missing half the picture, jazz is really meant to be a live music form.
    I agree that seeing Joe Pass live was an altogether different experience from listening to his solo studio records. Also, seeing him live gave us (or, at least me) an opportunity to talk to him for a little while. You can't get THAT from a recording.

Tony

User Info Menu

For me, jazz guitar is Wes/Joe.

I can appreciate that many others will feel differently.

As Mose A said, wouldn’t it be a real drag, if we were all the same.

User Info Menu

Been posted before, but it's fantastic and here it is again. If this is not "all that," nothing is.

Joe was a superb ballad player as well as having blazing chops when he wanted to.
    Last edited by Cunamara; 12-01-2019 at 11:54 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dconeill
    All I can say is that I always liked his small ensemble recordings, like "Intercontinental", but didn't care at all for his solo recordings.
    Count me in as another one who LOVES his trio album Intercontinental, and believes it exemplifies exactly none of the things the OP says of Joe Pass. In fact I think it is easily his masterwork of melodicism, tatstefullness, tone and swing, and nothing less than one of the top jazz guitar albums of all time.

I can now easily understand why anyone could be off-put by the solo recordings though, which don't do it for me anymore. Funny thing was as a budding teenage guitarist I was cuckoo for the solo album "Virtuoso" as my entry into jazz appreciation (and transcription), but disliked (???!!!) Intercontinental and what I somehow mistakenly thought was some loungy schmaltziness in the trio styling (???!!!). So I of all people should understand how people can have widely varying perceptions, since I have have personally been two of those people so far.
    Last edited by MattR; 12-03-2019 at 11:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MattR
    Count me in as another one who LOVES his trio album Intercontinental, and believes it exemplifies none of the things the OP says of Joe Pass. In fact I think it is easily his masterwork of melodicism, tatstefullness and swing, and nothing less than one of the top jazz guitar albums of all time.

I can now easily understand why anyone could be off-put by the solo recordings though, which don't do it for me anymore. Funny thing was as a budding teenage guitarist I was cuckoo for the solo album "Virtuoso" as my entry into jazz appreciation (and transcription), but disliked (???!!!) Intercontinental and what I somehow mistakenly thought was some loungy schmaltziness in the trio styling (???!!!). So I of all people should understand how people can have widely varying perceptions, since I have have personally been two of those people so far.
    That was the first album I heard of his, found in a cutout bin like so many other treasures, and instantly got me hooked on JP. Love so much of his other stuff but find some of it too frenetic and tiring to listen to (especially when accompanied with mixing like on the first Oscar Peterson Pablo LP with, among other things, that infernally loud clapping from the audience between tunes). But Intercontinental has stood the test of time, still one of my all-time favorite jazz guitar albums. It also got me into Eberhard Weber who was also well-represented in those bins ala The Colours of Chloë...

User Info Menu

For solo check out”Blues for Fred.” I find that an incredible solo guitar recording with beautiful tone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Listening to Blues for Fred / They All Laughed on Youtube right now (not finding it on Spotify - boo!), and it is indeed much more to my liking than the other solo recordings I've heard, thanks for the tip off Lawston.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    For solo check out”Blues for Fred.” I find that an incredible solo guitar recording with beautiful tone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! never heard that one thanks for the heads up !! How is that not inventive! tasteful! and downright head nodding , toe tapping engaging!!! The tone is delicious!!

Will