The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

Our standard for Aug 2020 will be I Don't Stand a Ghost of a Chance (Victor Young, Bing Crosby, Ned Washington, 1932).

Background:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals ((I Don't Stand A) Ghost of a Chance (With You))

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don't know if anyone's interested but there's an interesting little trick here (if we didn't know it already).

Bar 3 is a m7b5-7b9. You can sub the V of the relative major key for a ii-V - so Em7b5/A7b9 = D minor = F maj = C7.

It can be played straight but that C7 over Em7b5/A7b9 can also be played as C7alt - i.e. C# melodic minor. It works, certainly as a change from the harmonic minor and other known stuff.

User Info Menu

I love this tune. I recorded this video almost two years ago.

User Info Menu

Just the head, basic bossa fingerstyle.

User Info Menu

That was very nice KirkP. I enjoyed the bossa vibe there.

I love this "version" from Treme TV series, Wendell is such a great actor and this show is one of favs from all the time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by clebergf
    That was very nice KirkP. I enjoyed the bossa vibe there.

I love this "version" from Treme TV series, Wendell is such a great actor and this show is one of favs from all the time.
    I’m also a Treme fan, and I like that little clip—keeping it simple and from the heart. I might try a 2-track self-accompaniment next.

User Info Menu

Speaking as complete newbie (jazz-wise), how does one go about learning one of the jazz standards? Do you start with the chords, and if so, are there chord tabs available somewhere?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sunjamr Steve
    Speaking as complete newbie (jazz-wise), how does one go about learning one of the jazz standards? Do you start with the chords, and if so, are there chord tabs available somewhere?
    There are various ‘fakebooks’ around which give the melody (in notation) with chord symbols only, that’s what most people work from. Not tab.

Here’s one:

http://valdez.dumarsengraving.com/557JazzStandards.PDF

User Info Menu

It's nice to get the chords before learning the melody to get the form of the song in your head. As grahambop said it's not common to find tabs to the standards. There are some books with tabs, but it's nice to know how to read the notes on sheet music. You don't need to be a first sight reader but it helps a lot to learn some tunes if you know at the least how to read the notes, you can get the tempo with recordings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by clebergf
    It's nice to get the chords before learning the melody to get the form of the song in your head. As grahambop said it's not common to find tabs to the standards. There are some books with tabs, but it's nice to know how to read the notes on sheet music. You don't need to be a first sight reader but it helps a lot to learn some tunes if you know at the least how to read the notes, you can get the tempo with recordings.
    Ouch - I was afraid you'd say something like that. Guess I'd better knuckle down and re-learn how to read standard notation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    There are various ‘fakebooks’ around which give the melody (in notation) with chord symbols only, that’s what most people work from. Not tab.

Here’s one:

http://valdez.dumarsengraving.com/557JazzStandards.PDF
    Wow, thanks for that. That should keep me busy for at least a couple of days.....

User Info Menu

Wow, thanks for that. That should keep me busy for at least a couple of days.....
    That’s not a bad book, but every fake book harmonizes tunes a little differently. It’s good to compare them as it gives you an idea what options there are.

User Info Menu

Ouch - I was afraid you'd say something like that. Guess I'd better knuckle down and re-learn how to read standard notation.
    Having a good teacher or at least group lessons is the best way to get on the right track. But the host of this forum has lessons.

Free Jazz Guitar Lessons

Start with the beginner chord lessons. It’s good to learn several inversions of all the basic 4-note chords so you’ll be able to quickly find any chord in various voicings up and down the neck.

When I play solo arrangements (a.k.a., “chord melody”) I try to first prioritize the melody and bass voices, then squeeze a couple of chord tones in between. If the melody note is a chord tone I’ll use a chord voicing that has has that melody note on top. But melodies aren’t generally restricted to chord tones, so I need to be able to play the upper voice somewhat independently of the rest of the chord. There are melodic devices such as chromatic approaches and enclosures to embellish any of the voices, but get the basic tune together first.
    Last edited by KirkP; 08-09-2020 at 06:47 PM.

User Info Menu

I searched a little but could not find anyone singing it...

To me Bb (#9) sounds nice/jazzy leading from the 3rd of the G7+ to the 6th of the C chord.
    Of course in attached example I play it up an octave compared to your take.
    Attached Files Attached Files

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hohoho
    I searched a little but could not find anyone singing it...
    Huh?

User Info Menu

Thanks Graham!

Ella Yes!! Very bluesy! She "fooled me" by singing another melody on "just for a" (3rd, 3rd, 6th),
    but landing strongly on the #9 on "(ten)der".

But Frank? Sounds to me like he is singing two major 3rds on "tender". Also on other takes as far as I could hear...?

User Info Menu

That Bb is just a passing note really, I’ve listened to a few vocal and instrumental versions and some people use it, some don’t.

Wes Montgomery doesn’t, but Joe Pass does!

All 3 charts I have show it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    That Bb is just a passing note really, I’ve listened to a few vocal and instrumental versions and some people use it, some don’t.

Wes Montgomery doesn’t, but Joe Pass does!

All 3 charts I have show it.
    And... since when did jazz singers feel like they had to sing every note exactly as it is given on the chart?

User Info Menu

hohoho -

The point is that, like Graham, on all my charts it looks like this:

August 2020 - I Don't Stand a Ghost of a Chance-x-jpg

That's a B natural followed by a longer Bb. It didn't sound good when I played it in a slow version. What made it sound bad is the B nat before the Bb. Sounds like a mistake, like your finger slipped.

However, if it's all speeded up and you just play a Bb by itself it sounds fine - just a #9 sound, after all - down to the A.

So on the slow stuff I ditched it. On faster versions (not posted here) I put it in.

User Info Menu

By the way, listen up at 0.54. Joe doesn't play it as written there (not that he has to, of course). He plays a long B nat and slips the Bb in as a passing note. Not quite the same :-)

And Wes does a long B and twiddles the rest.

User Info Menu

Nice tune this. If it wasn’t so damn hot here, I might have a crack at it myself!

(I haven’t touched my guitar for a week now!)

User Info Menu

You're young, you have time

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    You're young, you have time
    yeah, right...

August 2020 - I Don't Stand a Ghost of a Chance-a55ccca1-9980-4d03-bb26-2f77ea68be37-jpg

User Info Menu

:-)

User Info Menu