Posts 1 to 50 of 485

Amps

More about the most popular guitar amps used in jazz here:

http://www.jazzguitar.be/jazz_guitar_amps.html

What guitar amp do you use?

2. # ADS
    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Amps The Ultimate Jazz Guitar Amp

From all the amplifiers that I have owned, I like my Roland Jazz Chorus-120 the most. It has a beautiful reverb and very usable chorus. The distortion sucks big time though.
    Last edited by Gareth; 09-20-2007 at 07:51 AM.

Of all the amps I've owned, the Roland JC120 was my favorite as well for wonderfully responsive, clean and dynamic sound. And the chorus was SWEET. Just a touch, mind you...

Man, I miss that amp.

My guitar teacher plays thru JC120s and though they have a good clean tone, great chorus, and are very dependable, they all seem to hiss, and are way too heavy for me.

For distortion, I prefer a tube based sound, but like ss for clean. I don't think there is such a thing as an ultimate amp to me. However, the Mesa Boogie Road King came as close as anything I have had before.

4 channels, all can be configured with various tube settings, so you can go from a Fender clean tone, to a old Marshal crunch ala AC/DC, to a high gain Mesa sound ala Satriani.

However, at $2500 and 100lb for the 2x12 combo, it killed me, so I sold it. I play my POD thru a Atomic amp which is designed for modelers. It has a tube power section, so it warms up the POD. Then I have the flexibility of the various amp settings. I can get lots of good, usable sounds out of it for jazz, blues, rock and pop stuff.

It is the best compromise I have come across.

can't argue with a twin. yes, they're big, heavy, loud, and expensive to maintain, but hey. it's a twin.

i still regret selling mine 5 years ago, but playing in my living room and coffee shops the size of my living room, there's no rationalizing a twin.

Mr. B,

Can't you get that same vibe out of say a Deluxe Reverb? Less power, less weight, one less speaker.

definitely. actually, i get a lot of fender vibe with my blues junior. but i've been eyeballing a DRRI for a while, but i don't need any more GAS now...i just bought a tele thinline!

being a tele guy though, the lack of a midrange control on the Deluxe Reverb has always concerned me a bit. i like to be able to boost midrange when i cut the highs a bit

I just got a tele. After playing dozens of Fenders, Don Grosh, Tom Anderson, G&L, I wound up playing a Bill Nash, and instantly fell in love.

If you are not familiar with Nash, he has been building guitars using Fender licensed parts for years, and does them relic style. Now, I have always thought the whole relic thing was a bit cheezy, but this one is wonderful.

It is a clone of the Andy Summers tele, so humbucker in the neck and single in the bridge. It has Lollar pups in it. I was looking for something that would be able to do it all. I think I found it.

The ultimate guitar amp...yikes! Anyone who has been playing awhile
    has probably gone through a lot of gear over the years and they have
    likely also changed styles, guitars, venues and
    budgets. What was once the cat's meow now no longer gets it done.
    The dust has finally settled and what I have left is a fine
    60's Twin Reverb, a 60's Champ, a Traynor YCV20-WR, a monstrous Peavey
    Stereo Chorus with allthe bells and whistles at
    a mind numbing 260 watts and a Yorkville AM 100 which was designed
    to amplify acoustic instruments. There is also a variety of types
    of guitars, pedals and some effects. Once you start mixing and
    matching you will find sounds that I was chasing once upon a time.
    That should have been more than enough but no... I needed one more
    ...the ultimate amp.
    So, what to do. I no longer needed gear to fit every stage and room
    cos nowadays the only place I play out is a buddy's house. Luckily
    I hooked up with an amp builder with 30 years experience and together
    we designed an amp to suit my needs.
    It is a 18 watt tube amp with a 10" speaker housed in an well built
    old Vox carcass. On its lonesome it produces such a sweet sound and
    I can use it to drive an old 2x12 Fender cab if the mood strikes.
    We put in the best Mercury iron, the best caps and some very fine
    tubes. Here's the best part. After 30 years of building amps my guy
    learned a thing or two about pre-amps. He built a pre-amp board that
    enables him to quickly change components. I showed up with guitars
    in hand and we tweaked the front end and tried various speakers to
    get the sound I wanted. When the right combo of pre-amp, speaker and
    tubes was found, the amp was built. Simple, solid and bullet proof.
    One master volume, one gain plus treble, mid, bass controls. One channel
    and one line out. No bells, no whistles, no effects, no pre-amp in,
    no PC board, no solid-state, no reverb.
    It will happily accommodate a pedal if so desired. It can go
    Twin clean or I can dial in some tweed deluxe OD. Handles the acoustic,
    hot singles and anything the humbuckers throw at it. No hiss, no hum
    and it produces temple bell harmonics. It makes me smile just hear it.
    Now for the fine print. This amp is a one off that was made for me and
    I in no way wish to denigrate what others have chosen to play.
    If you played it may not even come close to what you want. Triple rectifier
    overdrive, stadium gigs, 300 road shows, on board effects?
    No, no, no and no again. It is one guy, one guitar, one cord and an amp.
    I do believe I'm rolling around in a purple patch.
    Last edited by kaige; 09-21-2007 at 04:28 AM.

What a cool experience to be able to consult and be a part of building such a personally taylored amp. You didn't mention price, but to get something so suited to your playing style, I would think it would be worth more than just a chunk of cash.

Thanks for the story.

Amps

Quote Originally Posted by kaige View Post
    No, no, no and no again. It is one guy, one guitar, one cord and an amp.
    I do believe I'm rolling around in a purple patch.
    Sounds like the quest is over...I think your story is great, especially the end. My quest has lead me to an Evans Custom Amp which has great tonal range which all sound fantastic. The challenge is to isolate the one with that certain "Je ne sais quoi". The idea of a tailor made tone is fascinating. Didn't know it was possible. Enjoy

Thanks for the positive feedback.
    As for the cost, all in it was less than the cost of a Blues JUnior. Mind you,
    I made the chassis and we used my 'dead in the water' Vox Cambridge for the cab. To me the old Vox amps looked quite sharp. Another friend did the face plate graphics. Over the years I've modified (and messed up) a lot of gear and guitars while chasing a sound. I have become cautiously fearless (if that is possible).
    After all is said and done, guitars and gear are only tools. Oft times they are
    the most beautiful works of art you can imagine but tools none the less.
    This time the messing around payed off.

I like a few of you have too many amps, tried em, liked em and bought them. Mark iv, super reverb, twin reverb, gibson head with 2 cabinets, got a good deal on them, 2 10's and 2 12's in each celestions, i power them with all the amps, oh i have a budda 18 as well, & the blues junior.

the stuff i play from jazz chord melodies, to a little far out stuff, i haven't found one amp that really does it all for me, straight ahead jazz, chord melodies, the twin reverb at all volumes, can't really beat the tone from this amp for that style, the far out stuff, the mark iv, or budda, even the gibson, because with the 5 way pedal you can combine both channels, getting the sustain and/or crunch at various volumes and while the cabinets are a rediculous handful, i have used one, for an outside show, more a jam band thing, it was great but a killer to move.

With the roland gt 6, 8 or multi pedals you can achieve a great variety with even a nice clean amp, like the twin, but you have to spend the time dialing in and saving these settings. there are just so many choices today.

if i had to get rid of all my amps but one, i'd keep the twin reverb.

peace

Newbie! Learning to play the Blues!

I envy all of you guys with all of your various amps and guitars and the ability to make them perform and sound good. I am still scratching the surface, but did finally venture out and find a nice Squire 50th Anniversary Strat (made in China) "Should I be disclosing the pedigree? Are most made in Mexico? ) I then got a new Blues Jr.( this is made in Mexico and seems to be well a nice Amp.). because I heard that tubes were the way to go if you want that nice "Blues Sound". So far, I am not disappointed. The Strat sounds pretty good with the switch at the 2nd (from top) position where it acts like a hum bucker. I am so green, I only found that out from the guy that sold me the Strat a couple of days ago! Living in a retirement community, I am a bit afraid to open up the gain and use the Fat switch. I have to go slow and feel my way along. I wish I had this outfit when I was a young dude, boy the fun I could have had. My Triump with the De Armond pup does not sound as well as the Strat. Some strings seem to respond too loud and out of balance. The Strat is probably similar to a current Squire Standard, except that it has a beautiful maple neck, which is what attracted me. You know, like a gal with nice gams? $122 bucks on eBay, good unworn frets! What say, Mr. Beaumont, did this old F--t screw up or do you approve? In the mean time I will keep on practicing and learning new stuff and looking for advice.

Jazz classic,

hi, definitely use the fat switch, it just thickens up your tone, i normally put the dials, for jazz, master on 12, reverb 1 or 2 and the volume based on the venue, but for practice, about 2 or so, a comfortabe studio/bedroom level, 3 on treble, 6 or 7 base, and tweak til you like the tone.

I had to go look because i haven't turned it on in about a month, but i have played gigs with the BJ, and it performs wonderfully, i have had it for about 6 or 7 years with the same tubes, since i have several amps, it would be like playing it steadily for about 2 years, never had the first problem, as far as the guitar goes, Jeff Golub, plays a strat as well as many other guitars, but the few times i have seen him on the youtube thing, he was playing very soulfully on his strat, so your strat can cover jazz, blues etc. good choice, enjoy.

peace

I ran sound for "Shout Sister Shout" last night, a quintet doing classic swing standards. The guitarist was trying out a "new" amp, courtesy of the bass player; his old Polytone from his high school days.

The guitarist, Josh Davis, spent the breaks seeing what the amp could do, and it could do a LOT. With both his guitars, an early 50's L5 (I think - it was heavily modified,) and a 1930's Kalamazoo with a soundhole pup, the range of delicious jazz tones coming out of that amp was just astonishing. No hiss... from clean as could be to some wonderfully dirty blues sorts of sounds.

I was totally impressed with that thing, and it was a breeze to bring into the mix. I didn't even have to mess with EQ on it.

I have a little Traynor YCV-20 retubed with JJ's from Bob at Eurotube and a custom Weber ceramic Blue Dog. I get great fender like cleans and really creamy overdriven tones from it.

For playing around the house my 50's Lectrolab R200b at 1/2 is really clean and overdrives nicely from there. All at acoustic volume.

The best guitar amp has been the question we've all been asking for years. I have all sorts of amps and guitars and what I've discovered after forty years of playing is that they all have their place. I try to best determine what sound I need for what situation and which guitar and amp combination will work best to get the results I'm looking for. What I do know is this, I wish I had all the amps and guitars back I either traded or sold through the years.
    When we sell equipment, we generally take a loss, only to find out 15 years later we could really use that piece. As far as tube vs. solid state goes, I've played great and not so great of both. In fact, I hope I never find the perfect setup. The quest for the perfect tone is one of the elements that keeps me motivated. What's greater, the journey or the destination?
    With that in mind, I found an old 1950's Premier with a little 8" speaker and Class A in my basement 2 days ago. I was going to practice and I wanted to go really light since we were working out tunes acoustically. What a great jazz sound! That's what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by Gerald; 09-30-2007 at 01:49 PM. Reason: forgot to add the amp

Amps Amps

Don't consider myself an expert on amps but just bought my first tube amp; a Fender Hotrod Deluxe.
    It has a great clean sound and while I probably won't use "dirty" options much, it is a very cool amp.

Amps Why one?

I have had several Polytones (and still have a couple), I have an Evans, Music Man amps (more than one), Gallien Krueger, Fenders, . .
    my favorite is my Evans (although this one is the third one I've had). Very reliable, very warm tone for solid state. The Polytone is a 200 watt bass head and is great! stereo, switchable, bi-ampable, very versatile.

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
    What is the *ultimate* jazz guitar amp in your opinion?

From all the amplifiers that I have owned, I like my Roland Jazz Chorus-120 the most. It has a beautiful reverb and very usable chorus. The distortion sucks big time though.
    BTW, I have seen Benson, front row center, playing a JC-120. Sounded great live.

Lots of pros have in their contracts that the venue provide a JC120 beause they are so plentiful, and consistent from amp to amp.

However, everyone I have ever been around hissed terribly. One of the guys I study with plays thru them, and has 3 located at his regular gigs so he doesn't have to hump them around.

Ultimate Jazz amp

I find it interesting under the topic of Ultimate JAZZ amp that a lot of the discussion is about getting a good blues or rock sound and distortion. I guess my idea of a jazz sound is different.

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bodidR View Post
    I find it interesting under the topic of Ultimate JAZZ amp that a lot of the discussion is about getting a good blues or rock sound and distortion. I guess my idea of a jazz sound is different.
    I guess you don't play any fusion.

I play both straight ahead archtop and fusion. It's not particularly "rare" for someone to do that. John Tropea, Lee Ritenour, Kurt Rosenwinkel play fusion as well as straight ahead jazz.

John Scofield? I don't know what he plays. His own "style"?

On the other hand, you wish to discuss archtop sound? How's a '92 Gibson Super V CES (Custom Shop Master Model) thru a Boogie preamp and G Major processor sound to you?

JazzGuitar amp, Fusion?

No I don't play fusion, which I consider more rock than jazz, but certainly with some jazz elements. no one mentioned fusion, the question I believe was "what is the ultimate Jazz guitar amp". I don't even consider a Roland JC as a jazz amp, because it really hit its zenith during the 80s in the rock and pop scene. Ultimate jazz guitar amp? Lots of very clean power (200 watts or more), very little coloration of the sound from the guitar (that's what I object most about the JC), just amplification; full frequency response (including for 7-strings), small, lightweight cabinet (total less than 30 lbs) and a price of less than $500. There's my ultimate, but alas no one has made it yet.
    I'll keep looking . . .

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bodidR View Post
    and a price of less than $500. There's my ultimate, but alas no one has made it yet.
    I'll keep looking . . .

I think it's called a used Polytone. You might find a used Evans for that too.

These days tube preamps are what I look to for great jazz tone. What counts is getting the sound recorded. I refuse to use microphones in this day and age. There is absolutely no need of them for recording jazz guitar, or fusion guitar either.

Ultimate Jazz amp

well I have both a used Evans, and 2 used Polytones (use to be three), but none are less than 30 lbs, but yes, all of them were less than $500. Of them all, I like the Evans the best. Evans made a tube preamp briefly with tons of headroom. I got to use one once. It was incredibly clean and the tone was perfect. They now make a head with a tube preamp but I haven't tried one yet.

I bought an Evan's JE200 wiyh a tube preamp last year. I really love it and I don't think I'll bother searching anymore. It has very unique tone controls that takes some getting used to but the tonal range is amazing, especially for archtops. It weighs 30 lbs and is very gig-friendly. There is a smaller version called the RE100 (Ron Eschete model) that is only 25 lbs (10 spkr) and very easy transport, guitat in one hand, amp in the other. It is fantastic for solo gigs, but I opted for a bit more body with a 12" vice 10* speaker in the JE200 which is better in a combo setting. If you can find one for less than $500 It would be a great deal.
    Last edited by Jazzaluk; 12-17-2007 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Correct speaker size

Evans amps

If you can find ANY Evans amp, in good playing condition, for less than $500, I'll buy it. Yes, their tone controls take some getting use to, but they are the cleanest sound I have found, and certainly for straight ahead jazz with an archtop, the ULTIMATE JAZZ GUITAR AMP (IMO). The trouble is they are very seldom available used, and then usually for much more than $500. BTW, my Evans has a 15" which I like a lot. Not sure I could like a 10" or even a 12". Oh well.
    rdr

The polytones are base amps, correct? Would any base amp do the trick (Fender Rumble, others)?

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Civil Guy View Post
    The polytones are base amps, correct? Would any base amp do the trick (Fender Rumble, others)?
    Polytone amps are not "base"[sic] amps. Most are transistor guitar amps, designed mostly for jazz.

amps

Not all Polytones are BASS amps, some are specifically guitar amps, and others more bass amps, kind of like Fenders, Gallien Kruegers, Traynors, etc.
    But what ever gets you the sound you want, right???

I have a JC120, and yes, it sounds good, but yes, it does have a hiss. I also find that playing through both channels at once really fattened up the sound. Oh well, gonna get a twin this year. Oh yeah, and a hand truck.

Quote Originally Posted by lkmuller View Post
    I have a JC120, and yes, it sounds good, but yes, it does have a hiss. I also find that playing through both channels at once really fattened up the sound. Oh well, gonna get a twin this year. Oh yeah, and a hand truck.
    How do you play through both channels at once?

My guitar is plugged into a multi effects processor (Zoom RFX-2000) that has stereo ouputs. Guys have told me that it shouldn't make a difference whether I plug into one channel or both, but it really does.

That's a good idea, never thought of that, thanks Muller.

Hi all, just a word of warning for anyone who has a Gibson L4CES or ES175 or L5, stay away from a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe! The sound is awful, the feedback is even worse. They are nothing like the vintage Fender amps Wes Montgomery used. Also the Roland Jazz Chorus is a complete disaster with this kind of guitar, it almost defeats the purpose of having a nice Gibson jazz box. Try the Clarus/Raezer's Edge Combo, great clean sound, also the Polytone series of amps are good but they are hard to find.

Of the amps I own:
    ultimate favorite amp: Fender 57-twin amp. Very clean, but something very different from a solid-state'r
    very close 2nd fave: fender jazzmaster ultralight: very clearn, plenty of warmth, plenty of power and headroom. I never use the 2nd channel's tube "emulation", never happy with it, but that's not why I bot the amp.
    3rd Favorite: Vox ac120, open back: its a modeling amp, but there are a couple of channels that I really like for jazz: the ac30 and ac15's, and I also use the blackface, and finally, occasionally I use the Boutique OD, believe it or not. I have to tweak around with each of the models to get the right sound, for some reason I can never just plug guitar in and turn it on and go... and presets all change the minute I'm in a different room or platform.

My 2 cents

I've been lurking for a while (thank Dirk!) and I just cannot resist a comment on this thread

I'm mainly a bluesman, but I do play some jazz jams as well.

For clear classic jazz tones, I use my Gibson BR-9 turned to about 8 and mic'd. My Mesa Blue Angel works well also, but since it's totally finger sensitive, you have to be consistent in your attack or you'll get more saturated tones. I have been known to use my twin reverb through a 15 cabinet to get more clean volume.

Every player has his/her own tone ideal. Enjoy!

Noisy

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
    Hi.
    I just joined this forum.
    I want to know, i own a Jazz Chorus 120 i bought 3 years ago and i don't play guitar very often. My question is , is it normal there is always a noisy sound always audible, low, but audible ?
    Thanks

I use a Hendriksen Jazz Amp. I have used it arena gigs as well as club dates and it is by far the finest jazz amp that I have ever experienced. Before this one I tried them all and they were all lacking some little thing.
    You can check it out for yourself at: Jazz Guitar Amplifier: Henriksen Jazz Amp: light, powerful, inexpensive, small, jazz guitar amplifier

mikeofalberta

My amps
    1.Roland jc 55 ( light in weight - very clean - warm sound )
    2.Rivera 55/12 ( tubes )
    3.Roland Cube bass 30 : i'm using this little amp for both ( bass and guitar )

Interesting Tech 21 NYC

Hi Guys,

My name is Mark and I've been playing guitar for 7ish years and I have some decent jazz experience. Currently I'm going for my BA in Music at college and it's going really well so far. I've never written on the forums, but I'm on the mailing list and have been for about two years.

I was pleased to hear that Dirk liked the Classic 30. I owned one of those myself and that that it was an amazing amp. It provided a beautiful tube sound with a powerful EQ. I only needed to play through the clean channel once to find out that this amp was a keeper. After a while though, the Valves needed replacing and they were very expensive. It was at this point that I decided to switch to solid state.

It was hard to find one that I liked. While a lot of them sounded decent in their own way, I couldn't really get the same kind of sound I was getting from my 30, which- yes, I did kind of want.

I did find what I was looking for, but it's doubtful you'll find it at your local music store. The amp that I found was made by Tech 21 NYC, and the amp name is the Trademark 60. The Trademark 60 is a combo- basically a Sansamp. The thing about this amp that makes it different is that it's EQ. Instead of having an EQ that only boosts certain frequencies, it also allows you to cut them. As such, if you play though this amp with everything at 12 o'clock, it may not sound as you want it to.

Sansamp technology was built AROUND tube amps (much like the Cube, I'm sure) in an effort to get the tube sound without the weight and consistent need to replace valves.

If you go to tech21's website they'll give you sound examples, and they sound pretty good- but you're going to have to find one yourself to play with. The guitars that they use in the examples are cheap Yamahas, but the sound very nice through the amp. Like I said, since the controls are of a cut/boost nature, it takes a lot of tweaking to get the sound right. When you purchase the amp, the company gives you a manual with blank pictures of all the knobs/EQ so that you can write in the presets yourself (should you forget one/come up with a new setting spur of the moment) and also provides presets that they have discovered replicate the amp sounds of other famous artists which is really neat.

I had amazing luck and purchased mine used for the price of only 275 dollars. This amp has direct XLR out which can be used to plug into mixers for live play, or for boards/interfaces for a direct out into recordings. Having tested this out, I can tell you that the results are amazingly positive. If people are really wondering what this amp can do, I'll provide some examples of what I do with the amp.

I enjoyed reading your opinions, thanks for voicing them!
    Mark

Hey guys. First post here! Thanks for having me.

Ultimate jazz amp? Well, I really like the Polytone. Used it with a Les Paul and an ES175 and really like the tone. Very dark. Very classic.

I have read that some folks tend to think that the Poly has so much of it's own sound, that the player tends to sound the same and that it's hard to obtain an original sound with one. I tend to agree with this. The Poly does cover up the sound of your guitar to a degree. It's not very transparent. But it does have a killer sound which I really like.

I have always tended to go Marshall for crunch and Fender for clean.

One of the BEST clean sounds to me is a silver or black faced Champ. And you can pick one up used for very little.

I know guys who also use the Blues Jr on their gigs.

If more power is needed, maybe a twin which is unbelievable. Not the "Twin Amp" but a 65 reiss or vintage model.

But the champ just kills!

For those of you that are looking for Evans Amps (or a Webb) Check the classifieds over at the steel guitarforum. They show up over there every so often.
    The Steel Guitar Forum
    Last edited by PamweChete; 02-07-2008 at 10:00 PM.

i have two amps that i swear by. the roland 120 and a fender twin.
    they have that clean sound that i love. i've heard alot about poly-
    tones but never had the chance to use one. keep on pickin'.
    riley

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by L4CES View Post
    Hi all, just a word of warning for anyone who has a Gibson L4CES or ES175 or L5, stay away from a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe! The sound is awful, the feedback is even worse. They are nothing like the vintage Fender amps Wes Montgomery used. Also the Roland Jazz Chorus is a complete disaster with this kind of guitar, it almost defeats the purpose of having a nice Gibson jazz box. Try the Clarus/Raezer's Edge Combo, great clean sound, also the Polytone series of amps are good but they are hard to find.

I think that's what I "auditioned" my Super 5 CES with. Yep, it sucked.

You have an interesting guitar. Not many people know what a L4 is.

I should have bought one instead of my ES175 :} The Super V more than makes up for that mistake. Fanciest L5 you'll ever see. Blonde with super flamed maple back. Very authentic Wes sound.

My best sound comes from a Boogie Formula preamp and G-Major processor. It goes straight to the boards via speaker emulation in the Boogie. I've got a Yamaha i88x firewire unit for the A/D work.

I played my GB10 the other day thru a Boogie Mark IIC+. Not bad after you get adjusted to hearing amp hisssssssssss again! The IIC+ had a great clean channel. Reverb is somewhat weak though.

I should bring my Polytone downstairs to compare to the IIC. Might be an interesting jazz shootout.

Polytone Amp

I have been using the same Polytone Minibrute (100 watts with a 15" speaker) since 1978! I have never found any amp that will compare to it for good Jazz tone and it has never needed any type of repair. I am also able to use it for a bass amp so it is versatile and fairly light for a 15" size. I admit I really don't have much use for distortion so I don't use that feature and also don't use hardly any of the reverb effect. Before the polytone, I have had several fender amps, a home made transistor amp, a Benson amp and several no-name amps that were worth just about what I paid for them. (not much) If I had to buy a new amp, it would probably be the new Bose Pa system with the radiating speaker system and a bass module. I had an opportunity use one at a recent jazz jam session and I really believe it may be equal to my Polytone and has the advantage of other mike and instrument inputs (total of 5 inputs) and would work very well with the quartet + singer I usually work with. Another subtle advantage is you actually hear the same sound the audience hears with the radiating speaker system.

Hello,

I'm really glad to read all that stuff about jazzamps. For my bluesy music I use a fender blues junior tweed. Very good sound and he stays a little longer clean and warmer than the black tolex version.
    For all the jazzy sounds I only use my polythone. I think it's one of the most classic jazz sounds you can get. I bought my polythone a few years ago in Rotterdam from a young gitarist, who was more looking for a bluesamp. My polythone is a minibrute III/IV with only a volume, bass en treble controle, a swith for dark and brite and a hi and low plug-in, no reverb, serial number 823. Could anyone know how old my amp is. I think about mid seventies, but I'm not sure. Anyway, he's in a perfect condition and I love his sound, esspecially with my old jazz archtop , a 1964 framus riviera with a new Kent amstrong pick-up.
    If anyone could help me with the age of my polythone, thanks a lot.

william

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by dirkji View Post
    More about the most popular guitar amps used in jazz here:

http://www.jazzguitar.be/jazz_guitar_amps.html

What guitar amp do you use?

Hi, I use a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and it has taken me quite a while to get a good sound out of it... I think the next time I would go for something smaller. I once tried the Blues Junior and it was great, although no reverb.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed