The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 300

User Info Menu

These are sweet guitars!

Old refin on this one, the BRW bridge is the only original hardware, but she's a keeper. Am desperately seeking a Dearmond 1100/1000 for reasonable $ if anyone has a line on one.

'40s Gibson L-7-imag0200_zps50dd3bc6-jpg

'40s Gibson L-7-imag0201_zps80f5ef8d-jpg

'40s Gibson L-7-imag0209_zps0c4ba56d-jpg

'40s Gibson L-7-imag0207_zpsa3120b67-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Beautiful. I'm sure it sound equally beautiful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    Beautiful. I'm sure it sound equally beautiful.
    Thanks for the reminder, Patrick. This is my first non-cutaway, full depth, carved archtop. Wow, these guitars can really bark! Or respond to a delicate touch. So...YES, it sounds as beautiful as it looks.

User Info Menu

Good looking L-7, DC Ron....

I bought my first L-7 several years ago....loved it and even got another.
    They've been been my regular guitars ever since.

...Congrats!

User Info Menu

And also remember, it was made where the heritage of arch tops began . . . 225 Parsons Street Kalamazoo, Michigan.

I have a very dear friend who has a NOS Dearmond 1000. The only reason it's no on my new build Super/Golden eagel, is because it's the 1000 and not the 1100. I needed the 1100 for the gold plating. But, the chrome (nickel?) will work perfectly on this L7. Also, do some research on the tonal difference of each of them. They are not one and the same pups.

If Stephen . . (Hammertone) is listening in, he knows these pups better than I do. Maybe he can help.

But, this 1000 model is brand new, in its original box and never installed. If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you the contact info.

User Info Menu

Man . . . . I don't know who did that refin . .. but it's off the charts beautiful!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Dearmond used chrome plating (not nickel) and gold.
    If Patrick's buddy wants to sell you a 1000 for cheap, grab it.

If not, I'd be happy to sell you a Dearmond 1000, or an FHCC, in Chrome.
    I have Dearmond 1000 and 1100 pickups in Gold as well, NIB.
    All for too much money, of course.

User Info Menu

Congrats!

I always had 16" wide short scale archtops, but I bought a '49 L-7 last February and it is certainly the one that I play the most now.

I have limited first hand experience with the Rhythm Chief, but I do have a couple DeArmond FHC-B that sound very nice. It might be worth looking into them. You may like them and they are cheaper than the DA RC 1000 or 1100.

Looks like you have TI Swing on your L-7. Are they .012 or .013? (I find that these string sound very good and well balanced with the FHC.)

Patrick is right. That refin burst is beautiful.

User Info Menu

Congrats, DC Ron. Re-finished or not, that looks beautiful. The re-finish is very well done. It looks like it just came out of the factory and I actually prefer the slightly lighter-coloured maple back.

Instead of a DeArmond 1100, look for a Kent Armstrong single coil floating pickup or have Kent wind you one that comes close to the DeArmond for $130. There is a smooth top version which is very thin and a 6-pole adjustable version.

Don't deprive yourself while waiting for a reasonably priced DeArmond 1100 to show up. The Kent Armstrong sounds great as it is.

Spiral, run, don't walk

(The going price on ebay for the DeArmond 1100 is about $650.00. ms64red, Mitch, is the go-to guy for the DeArmond. I won't pay more than what Mitch sells his DeArmonds for. rpguitar got his DeArmond 1100 neck-rod from Mitch, if I recall.)
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 10-27-2013 at 01:46 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Congrats, DC Ron. Re-finished or not, that looks beautiful. The re-finish is very well done. It looks like it just came out of the factory and I actually prefer the slightly lighter-coloured maple back.

Instead of a DeArmond 1100, look for a Kent Armstrong single coil floating pickup or have Kent wind you one that comes close to the DeArmond for $130. There is a smooth top version which is very thin and a 6-pole adjustable version.

Don't deprive yourself while waiting for a reasonably priced DeArmond 1100 to show up. The Kent Armstrong sounds great as it is.

Spiral, run, don't walk

(The going price on ebay for the DeArmond 1100 is about $650.00. ms64red, Mitch, is the go-to guy for the DeArmond. I won't pay more than what Mitch sells his DeArmonds for. rpguitar got his DeArmond 1100 neck-rod from Mitch, if I recall.)
    Jabberwocky, my theory, which will never be proven, is that it went back to the factory for a refin in the 60s, based on the chrome Gibson tailpiece and the yellow lined black Gibson case. I may go the KA route, but I've got some time to poke around for a Dearmond. Thx!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Lang
    Congrats!

I always had 16" wide short scale archtops, but I bought a '49 L-7 last February and it is certainly the one that I play the most now.

I have limited first hand experience with the Rhythm Chief, but I do have a couple DeArmond FHC-B that sound very nice. It might be worth looking into them. You may like them and they are cheaper than the DA RC 1000 or 1100.

Looks like you have TI Swing on your L-7. Are they .012 or .013? (I find that these string sound very good and well balanced with the FHC.)

Patrick is right. That refin burst is beautiful.
    Good eye for strings! Those are .013s. Figured the bigger the better. The FHC is a good recommendation, also because it doesn't require pickguard mods. Thx!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DC Ron
    Good eye for strings! Those are .013s. Figured the bigger the better. The FHC is a good recommendation, also because it doesn't require pickguard mods. Thx!
    True. No need to modify the pickguard (wrong IMHO) or to buy a new one (much better than mod a vintage one), but I still had to move the upper part (where PG attaches to the fretboard extension) just a little bit in order to get a better pup placement. Ideally, I should get another PG to cut and save the original one.

Here it is on my L-4C.

User Info Menu

Hi Eddie,

I agree that you should save the original and make a cut-out in a modern replacement pickguard.

User Info Menu

From what I see in the photos...DC Ron's L-7 doesn't have an original pickguard, so cutting a notch in the one he has shouldn't be too upsetting.

Another option is to consider a McCarty.....I'm quite pleased with mine.

ziz

User Info Menu

Congrat's Ron! She's one stunning L7!!!

I envy you guys with the vintage archtop knowledge. If I possessed that knowledge I'd clearly have owned a vintage by now. There are too many pitfalls for a newb to go out and buy a vintage archtop.

Can't believe I beat you at owning several NC archtops though

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zizala
    From what I see in the photos...DC Ron's L-7 doesn't have an original pickguard, so cutting a notch in the one he has shouldn't be too upsetting.

Another option is to consider a McCarty.....I'm quite pleased with mine.

ziz
    You're correct, my guard (and most everything else) is a repro. McCarty is an excellent option, but neither easier to find nor less pricey than a 1000/1100. Of course if these were easy to find they would probably not be nearly as desirable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Congrat's Ron! She's one stunning L7!!!

I envy you guys with the vintage archtop knowledge. If I possessed that knowledge I'd clearly have owned a vintage by now. There are too many pitfalls for a newb to go out and buy a vintage archtop.

Can't believe I beat you at owning several NC archtops though
    Thx! Have seen many of your guitars in the forums, and you may be a vintage newb but have great taste in guitars, which is the real foundation for knowing the older stuff. Sorry, can't figure out "NC archtops" but you clearly have it all over me on quality gear. More work to do on my part.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Lang
    True. No need to modify the pickguard (wrong IMHO) or to buy a new one (much better than mod a vintage one), but I still had to move the upper part (where PG attaches to the fretboard extension) just a little bit in order to get a better pup placement. Ideally, I should get another PG to cut and save the original one.

Here it is on my L-4C.

Richard, thx for the info and pic. Have seen folks simply butt the treble side of the FHC to the unaltered pickguard. Am guessing you did this but couldn't get the high E string to amplify?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DC Ron
    Richard, thx for the info and pic. Have seen folks simply butt the treble side of the FHC to the unaltered pickguard. Am guessing you did this but couldn't get the high E string to amplify?
    Well, I get a more balanced sound this way when playing at low volume in my living room. Not only is the E string louder this way, but for some reason the G string is too and I don't get the "hotter" B string problem some players have. If the pickup or amp's volumes are set louder, like in a gig situation, even a quiet one, amplifying the E string (with the pickguard in its intended position) is not really a problem. Moving the pickguard the way I do does bring the position of the pickup where it is recommended though.

User Info Menu

Congratulations! That's a lovely L-7!

I think I might have its sister! Also a 1944, I believe. (SN 98519, if I'm squinting well.)

'40s Gibson L-7-gibson-l-7-jpg
    Last edited by Flat; 10-28-2013 at 03:18 AM.

User Info Menu

Absolutely beautiful L-7! Have had a couple of them but a 17" body with a long scale neck is just too big for poor me. Well, I am more than happy with my 1949 L-4C now so all is good

I have had several DeArmond 1000's and 1100's but I seem to prefer the FHC's overall tone over them. Much warmer and thicker. Had some trouble with the high E string being far weaker than the other 5 but had that one solved. Tilted the pickup so that the treble side is in the highest possible position and the bass side nearly touching the top, then put a piece of aluminum tape under the 2nd and 3rd strings. Still quite bassy but nicely balanced.

Have fun with your new baby

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    Congratulations! That's a lovely L-7!

I think I might have its sister! Also a 1944, I believe. (SN 98519, if I'm squinting well.)
    Wow, you DO have its sister! Mine is 9840X. Beautiful guitar--small world!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TinaB
    Absolutely beautiful L-7! Have had a couple of them but a 17" body with a long scale neck is just too big for poor me. Well, I am more than happy with my 1949 L-4C now so all is good

I have had several DeArmond 1000's and 1100's but I seem to prefer the FHC's overall tone over them. Much warmer and thicker. Had some trouble with the high E string being far weaker than the other 5 but had that one solved. Tilted the pickup so that the treble side is in the highest possible position and the bass side nearly touching the top, then put a piece of aluminum tape under the 2nd and 3rd strings. Still quite bassy but nicely balanced.

Have fun with your new baby
    Nothing wrong with an L-4C! My favorite guitar is my Heritage Sweet 16 (16" body, long scale) which I find to be about perfect in every way. The intriguing aspect of the L-7 is the huge acoustic sound. Some of it is no doubt just newness. Thanks for the tips on DeArmonds. Clearly they require a bit of experimentation!

User Info Menu

Not to crash Ron's thread too hard, but regarding adding pickups to these old L-7s…

What's the conventional wisdom regarding the DeArmond style versus a McCarty pickup+pickguard?

Obviously they are quite different visually. But apart from that…is one style warmer or better suited for a non-cutaway L7?

I thought that if I ever added a pickup to my '44 L7 that I would go with a Lollar-built McCarty pickup+pickguard combination.

Any problems or considerations with that notion?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    Not to crash Ron's thread too hard, but regarding adding pickups to these old L-7s…

What's the conventional wisdom regarding the DeArmond style versus a McCarty pickup+pickguard?

Obviously they are quite different visually. But apart from that…is one style warmer or better suited for a non-cutaway L7?

I thought that if I ever added a pickup to my '44 L7 that I would go with a Lollar-built McCarty pickup+pickguard combination.

Any problems or considerations with that notion?
    This is a great question, not a crash at all. Didn't know Lollar was still making these.