The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

This amp is some what rare and being a variation on the bass amp that started the company. The last model was the II version for this amp. Looking at the specs below, just got me thinking. They run about $300-$350 and are heavy at 40 pounds.

SWR Strawberry Blonde Acoustic Amp Poor Man's Jazz Amp???-swr1-pngSWR Strawberry Blonde Acoustic Amp Poor Man's Jazz Amp???-zstsw_2-jpg
    OVERVIEW
    SWR Strawberry Blonde Amp

The SWR Strawberry Blonde Acoustic Amp is a single channel, 80-watt combo made for your acoustic guitar, built to reproduce the thick, rich tones from your acoustic, and send them right into the ears of your listeners. Great not just for guitars, but also for other acoustic instruments like orchestral acoustic instruments (violins, cellos, basses), acoustic jazz bass, mandolins, and many other stringed acoustic instruments. Perfect for smaller gigs like small clubs, rehearsals, and coffee shops.

Features
    Aural Enhancer
    Spring Reverb
    Discrete Solid-State front end
    Master Volume Control
    Side Chain Effects Loops
    Balanced Line Out
    Headphone Jack
    XLR line out
    Extension speaker jack
    Top Handle
    Chrome protective corners
    Bottom Slot Port
    Blonde Tolex Covering
    Vibration free speaker grill

Speaker Compliment
    (1) Custom SWR 10" speaker
    (1) Le-Son TLX-1 Piezo Tweeter

Wikipedia

The company was founded as SWR Engineering, Inc. by its namesake, Steve W. Rabe. Rabe was known for his engineering work at Acoustic Control Corporation. After extensive research with top Los Angeles studio bassists, SWR released its first commercial product in 1984, the PB-200 hybrid tube/solid-state bass guitar amplifier. The first 5 units were manufactured by hand in a garage in the San Fernando Valley. This model soon became the SM-400. SWR then pursued development of a speaker cabinet to accompany its amps. In 1986, SWR released the Goliath, a 4 x 10" full-range speaker cabinet with a built-in horn tweeter, a first for bass cabinets.
    The company's name was changed to SWR Sound Corporation on 1 December 1997 as part of a restructuring plan. Rabe sold the company to accountant Daryl Paul Jamison and soon created a new company, Raven Labs. SWR was based in Sylmar, California until January 1999, when it moved to the former Cetec Gauss speaker factory in nearby Sun Valley, California. On 2 June 2003, Jamison sold SWR to Fender Musical Instruments Corporation for a rumored $8 million[citation needed], after a previous year of lagging SWR sales and dwindling market share. Jamison reportedly tried to sell to Fender a year earlier for a larger sum, but this failed to materialize.[citation needed]
    SWR is now a brand in Fender's portfolio rather than an independent company and its products are now manufactured at Fender's facilities in Corona, California and Ensenada, Baja California. Fender is headquartered in Scottsdale, Arizona.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Have seen these in shops and wondered. Seems like a decent set of features. I wonder if the "Aural Enhancer" control is like a "presence" control? There are some utube vids:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=SWR+blond

User Info Menu

If you desire a Fender tube amp or the like, then no. If you desire an AER or the like, then quite possibly yes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Have seen these in shops and wondered. Seems like a decent set of features. I wonder if the "Aural Enhancer" control is like a "presence" control? There are some utube vids:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=SWR+blond

AURAL ENHANCER
    SWR’s Aural Enhancer Control was developed to bring out the fundamental low notes of all instruments, reduce certain frequencies that
    help mask the fundamentals, and enhance the high end transients. Basically a tone shaping control, the Aural Enhancer is a passive R/C
    network that alters the frequency response throughout the frequency spectrum. This pre-shaping is “blended” into the original signal via
    the Aural Enhancer Control. Exact frequencies affected are dependent on the characteristics of the instrument used.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

SWR Strawberry Blonde Acoustic Amp Poor Man's Jazz Amp???-dv-little-jazz-jpgSWR Strawberry Blonde Acoustic Amp Poor Man's Jazz Amp???-henriksen-jazzamp-110-er-jpgSWR Strawberry Blonde Acoustic Amp Poor Man's Jazz Amp???-swr1-pngSWR Strawberry Blonde Acoustic Amp Poor Man's Jazz Amp???-8332_henriksen_jazzamp_110-er_a-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images SWR Strawberry Blonde Acoustic Amp Poor Man's Jazz Amp???-preview-jpg 

User Info Menu

I had the "big sister" California Blonde back around 2000. It was a good sounding unit, the Cali model has a 12" IIRC. I needed the second channel provided by the Cali. To my ears it sounded better with piezo pickups, OK with mag pickups. I sold it off due to the weight. I'd say if there is one local give it a spin, it's a good amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SierraTango
    I had the "big sister" California Blonde back around 2000. It was a good sounding unit, the Cali model has a 12" IIRC. I needed the second channel provided by the Cali. To my ears it sounded better with piezo pickups, OK with mag pickups. I sold it off due to the weight. I'd say if there is one local give it a spin, it's a good amp.
    Yes there is one local. Its been for sale for a while. $325 One channel is good for me.

User Info Menu

Is the SWR Strawberry Blonde a poor man's jazz amp?

Yes!!

It's also a great sounding amp for archtops, acoustic-electrics and especially basses.
    I've used mine for years with good results.

Tone tips: Back off the bass pot, twist the aural enhancer knob to suit and switch on or off the piezo horn depending on the axe.

User Info Menu

A poor man's jazz amp? For a little over $300, maybe it's a smart mans jazz amp. I used SWR bass amps for years (occasionally with guitar) and they're solid. The Strawberry Blonde is great for jazz IMO if the weight isn't an issue for you.

User Info Menu

I own this model. I bought for my acoustic flat-top instruments. It is fine amp for nylon strings too, also for acoustic basses. As for jazz, not for me, I prefer my Fender amp.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Is the SWR Strawberry Blonde a poor man's jazz amp?

Yes!!

It's also a great sounding amp for archtops, acoustic-electrics and especially basses.
    I've used mine for years with good results.

Tone tips: Back off the bass pot, twist the aural enhancer knob to suit and switch on or off the piezo horn depending on the axe.
    Much appreciated.
    Just what I was looking for as there is not a lot of information out there on the SWR amps in general. The reviews I have read are some what conflicting. Bottom-line, seems like an extremely versatile amp at a reasonable amount of money.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaJoe
    A poor man's jazz amp? For a little over $300, maybe it's a smart mans jazz amp. I used SWR bass amps for years (occasionally with guitar) and they're solid. The Strawberry Blonde is great for jazz IMO if the weight isn't an issue for you.
    My father, a bricklayer, would have said on the weight, "Free muscles son."

User Info Menu

VINTAGE ACOUSTIC SERIESCALIFORNIA BLONDE

The California Blonde was originally designed to address the needs of the growing number of players using their Workingman's 12 combos to amplify acoustic guitar. SWR founder Steve Rabe re-worked the basic design of the WM12 and added features specific to the needs of acoustic instrumentalists. Replaced by the upgraded California Blonde II in 2005.
    Power Output:
    120 watts @ 8 ohms (internal cabinet)
    160 watts @ 4 ohms (w/ 8 ohm extension cabinet)
    Speaker complement:
    (1) SWR Custom designed 12" driver
    (1) SWR Custom designed Super tweeter
    Dimensions: 24"H x 14.5"W x 14.5"D
    Weight: 50 lbs.
    Production Period: 1997 to 2005
    Final Retail Price: $1142.84
    STRAWBERRY BLONDE

The California Blonde's little sister. The Strawberry Blonde was offered as a single channel, lower- powered, lower-priced and easier to operate version of the California Blonde. Replaced by the upgraded Strawberry Blonde II in 2006.
    Power Output:
    80 watts @ 8 ohms (internal cabinet)
    100 watts @ 4 ohms (w/ 8 ohm extension cabinet)
    Speaker complement:
    (1) SWR Custom designed 10" driver
    (1) LeSon TLX-1 tweeter
    Dimensions: 18.5"H x 16"W x 13.75"D
    Weight: 40 lbs.
    Production Period: 1998 to 2006
    Final Retail Price: $714.27

NATURAL BLONDE
    The Natural Blonde was a "speaker section only" version of the California Blonde. It was discontinued after a very short production run (1997 to 1998). (The name was used again in 2007 for the Natural Blonde Acoustic Series bass amplifier.) Features Include: Bottom Slot Port, Blonde Tolex Covering, Vibration free speaker grill, Top Handle, Chrome protective corners , High Quality Metal Input Panel with Heavy-Duty Attenuator, 1/4" In/Out and Banana Jacks, (1) Custom 12" speaker from Celestion , (1) High-end super tweeter

Power handling: 200 watts
    Impedance: 8 ohms
    Frequency Response: 30 Hz to 16 KHz
    Dimensions: 20" H x 14.5" W x 14.5" D
    Weight: 37 lbs.
    Production Period: 1997 to 1998
    Final Retail Price: $449.00
    BLONDE ON BLONDE
    Powered extension speaker designed to offer full stereo and/or “junior P.A.” capabilities to the California Blonde. Could also be used as passive extension enclosure.
    Dual use product: Powered monitor or passive extension cabinet (mode switchable)
    80 watts when used as powered monitor, 200 watts power handling when used as extension cabinet
    1x12 enclosure w/hi-fi tweeter
    Stamped-steel vibration-free grill
    Top strap and bottom-spring-loaded handles
    Impedance (of internal speaker): 8 ohme product: Powered monitor or passive extension cabinet (mode switchable)
    80 watts when used as powered monitor, 200 watts power handling when used as extension cabinet
    1x12 enclosure w/hi-fi tweeter
    Stamped-steel vibration-free grill
    Top strap and bottom-spring-loaded handles
    Impedance (of internal speaker): 8 ohm
    Dimensions: 20" H x 14.5" W x 14.5" D
    Weight:
    40 lbs.
    Production Period: 1999 to 2005
    Final Retail Price:
    $714.27
    [ top of page ]

User Info Menu

New Acoustic Amps from Fender, High Cliff, SWR, and Trace ElliotBY Matt Blackett, Associate Editor, Guitar Player

August 19, 2005
    SWR Strawberry Blonde

Easily the most straightforward and affordable amp of the bunch, the Strawberry Blonde ($699) is an 80-watt, single-channel model with a 10" speaker and a switchable, piezo tweeter. Tone controls include 3-band EQ and an aural enhancer. Though not nearly as knob heavy as the other amps reviewed here, the Strawberry Blonde still has plenty of features, such as a side-chain effects loop, spring reverb, phase switch, headphone jack, and a tuner out. The amp tips the scales at a very reasonable 40 lbs.

The Blonde's tone is exceedingly bright. Guitars with onboard EQ are definitely recommended to keep the high-end in check. I even turned the amp's tweeter off at one point and tried to dial in a more balanced sound with the amp's treble knob and the guitar's EQ. This eliminated the screech, but the tone proved dull and unsatisfying. Interestingly, a Stratocaster equipped with a Fishman Powerbridge yielded the most balanced sound through the SWR.
    The aural enhancer affects several frequencies at once. Though extreme settings can exacerbate piezo harshness, this function is the key to unlocking the Blonde's best sounds -- especially when used in conjunction with the amp's EQ.The Strawberry Blonde puts out a lot of sound, and its phase switch can effectively eliminate feedback. Still, it's shocking how fast 80 watts gets devoured when amplifying an acoustic. Fortunately, there's an XLR out for sending a direct signal to the P.A. The Blonde will appeal to players who thrive on piezo tone, and need an affordable, easy-to-use amp.

User Info Menu

Product Details: SWR Strawberry Blonde II Acoustic AmpA long-awaited update for an SWR favorite! The new California Blonde II is designed to meet and exceed the changing needs of acoustic instrumentalists of all styles!
    Great for live work, solo gigs, stereo monitoring, non-P.A. sound reinforcement, the two-channel, 200-watt California Blonde II gives you the tone of the original SWR California Blonde--a longtime market favorite--with additional new features including a 1/4 in. low Z balanced input, mic input phantom power, upgraded power amp circuitry, a tuning mute switch, reverb defeat switches for each individual channel, dedicated XLR outputs for each channel, summed channel 1/2 1/4 in. line out, and superior patching and signal-routing capabilities. Smooth looks and warm, rich tone make it the ideal amp for acoustic instruments of all types!
    SWR Strawberry Blonde 2 Features:
    • 90 watts
    • 1-channel
    • Single 10" speaker
    • Phase reverse switch
    • 3-band active EQ w/ phase
    • Aural Enhancer
    • Reverb

SWR Strawberry Blonde Acoustic Amp Poor Man's Jazz Amp???-swr-strawblonde-2-jpgSWR Strawberry Blonde Acoustic Amp Poor Man's Jazz Amp???-strawa-z1-jpg