Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
Posts 1,551 to 1,600 of 1730

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy View Post
    Hi,
    No, I just scored it from the original owner. I believe he had Rob put it on; he showed me the spec sheet from warmoth; feels nice!
    Thanks. Yours looks great! I also have a Logan tele, bought third hand I believe, at an excellent price. Carbonita, with Duncan p90s.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I saw Ted Greene play live once. It was at an art gallery in North Hollywood. He played for hours without break. It was an amazing experience to see him and meet him because I used Chord Chemistry in school. He was really nice. I learned later that it would be one of the last times he would ever play live before he died.

He played a Telecaster.

User Info Menu

Chord Chemistry was one of the first books I ever bought. Still way over my head, but I have gotten a lot out of it over the years.

Ted Greene was great, btw. I have to say that it is hard not to be put off by videos of him playing in his messy bedroom, but if that is the way it is done, I shouldn't criticize.

User Info Menu

Guys, sorry if that's not the right treath but just Im curious. What do you think about the Fender MIM Player Telecasters? Good valiue for the money?
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

the new mim player series is the new replacement for the long running mim standard series (which has been dropped)..with a few tweaks and differences

take a look at the g&l tribute line...some nice tele type guitars in that range...great bang for the buck..& nice qc

cheers

User Info Menu

Recent Telecaster-ish purchase, a 2016 G&L ASAT Special in Himalayan Blue:

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

User Info Menu

Picked this up few months ago.. 84 fender japan all rosewood (not laminated like the recent ones).
    Heavy but plays and sounds amazing. Probably not staying forever as I prefer my es-175 but I couldn't
    let this one pass.

fender japan all rosewood by wout b, on Flickr

User Info Menu

The neck radius on your '84 made my heart skip a beat.

User Info Menu

whats wrong? Might be the photograph, radius is the same as my other tele's..

User Info Menu

Nothing is wrong. It looks like a vintage 7.5" radius neck. The MIJ necks were like that. In the 80s /90s the US Fenders went to a flatter, 9.5" radius. I prefer the older formula.

User Info Menu

Ah sorry, english isnt my native language.
    I thought skipping a heart beat referenced to being scared of something.
    Yeah i prefer vintage radius too.

User Info Menu

+1

User Info Menu

I prefer 7.5 radius too. Even more important nut width 1 5/8, not wider! In current Fender lineup I don't see any guitars with necks like that, wtf? Everything 1 11/16 and 9.5 or 12 radius, I don't get it.

User Info Menu

Fender, like the other manufacturers, of all types of merchandise, makes what sells in volume. There are companies that offer niche products, but they're small, and will never be big.

User Info Menu

The tappers and Bach-n-Rollers like the very flat, wide fretboards. It's all good, but I'm glad that there is also a market for traditional Fender specs, too. All of the after-market neck companies will supply you with a 7.5" radius, 1-5/8" nut neck upon request. You can even get skinny frets.

My "skips a beat" phrase was a reference to the old Buck Owens/Buckaroos song, too, by the way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive View Post
    I prefer 7.5 radius too. Even more important nut width 1 5/8, not wider! In current Fender lineup I don't see any guitars with necks like that, wtf? Everything 1 11/16 and 9.5 or 12 radius, I don't get it.

I believe Fender MiM Classic models still have 7.5 radiused fretboards, 50`s Baja model Tele has big V-neck with 7.5 fretboard. I own 7 Classic Fenders, all have 7.5 necks.

User Info Menu

Yes. I believe Fender has been pretty good about having the MIM roll out with the classic specs on the necks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by savofenno View Post
    I believe Fender MiM Classic models still have 7.5 radiused fretboards, 50`s Baja model Tele has big V-neck with 7.5 fretboard. I own 7 Classic Fenders, all have 7.5 necks.
    Not to sound like a snob, but I prefer MiA. What I see currently Tele Special, Professional, Elite series, non of them have it.

My fav neck ever is AVRI 64' tele. I might need another one like that for my partcaster, so I'm looking on Reverb, especially Stratosphere store where you can buy necks and bodies separate, and all they list those new Fender necks with nothing like what I'm looking for. I'm all for variety, but doesn't seem like Fender cares about their own tradition!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by waltf View Post
    Picked this up few months ago.. 84 fender japan all rosewood (not laminated like the recent ones).
    Heavy but plays and sounds amazing.
    thats the george harrison tele!!..he used it on the rooftop concert

later gave it to delaney bramlett

super cool tele but heavy!!!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive View Post
    I guess you're missing that it's not everyone's fav specs. It would be the least comfortable for me to play this kind of neck.
    Ah, well. I ordered my G&L with a 12" radius, but you can order them with 7.5" radius (G&L's take on 7.25) and a 1 5/8" nut. And I quite like those jumbo MFD pups for jazz.
    Build bridges, not walls.

User Info Menu

The G&L 12" radius 1.75" nut is THE modern recipe. It's what the modern player prefers. Check out Umphreys McGee at their next concert. (Those guys can really play, by the way.)

I was just having a nostalgic moment above for the Fenders from the 50s-70s that had the narrower nut and very curved neck radius. I grew up on them (two Stratocasters an Esquire and a Telecaster--a '65, a '68, a '57, and a '69, respectively). Those guitars sounded great and were wonderful for country, Western swing, blues, rock, and even jazz.

Compared to those guitars, all other guitars have necks that look like classical guitars--especially my '65 Stratocaster, which feature a B-neck. It was 7.5" radius with a 1-5/8" nut. (The A-neck actually had a 1-1/2" nut!) My Esquire and Telecaster were also B-necks. The '68 Stratocaster--which I kept for 45 years--featured a C-neck (1-3/4" nut).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles View Post
    A And I quite like those jumbo MFD pups for jazz.
    yes mfd great pups...by leo fender!!...in the jazzmaster pickup ballpark..big single coil tone

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone View Post
    The G&L 12" radius 1.75" nut is THE modern recipe. It's what the modern player prefers. Check out Umphreys McGee at their next concert. (Those guys can really play, by the way.)

I was just having a nostalgic moment above for the Fenders from the 50s-70s that had the narrower nut and very curved neck radius. I grew up on them (two Stratocasters an Esquire and a Telecaster--a '65, a '68, a '57, and a '69, respectively). Those guitars sounded great and were wonderful for country, Western swing, blues, rock, and even jazz.

Compared to those guitars, all other guitars have necks that look like classical guitars--especially my '65 Stratocaster, which feature a B-neck. It was 7.5" radius with a 1-5/8" nut. (The A-neck actually had a 1-1/2" nut!) My Esquire and Telecaster were also B-necks. The '68 Stratocaster--which I kept for 45 years--featured a C-neck (1-3/4" nut).
    For myself, it's not even a nostalgic moment- I never owned anything that vintage from Fender! 5 years ago I didn't even know anything about this stuff with radius and nut width. All I knew some Fenders were very comfortable to play, and almost no Gibson I ever played was.

As I gravitated more and more into rhythm playing, I noticed some guitars made my left hand cramping. I still didn't make a connection, but once I got my first hollowbody Guild x-175 RI, it was such a breakthrough in playability! I wondered why no Gibsons ever felt that good, and thats where I found out narrower necks and smaller radius is the perfect match for me.

I also found out that majority prefers the opposite, ha. I keep talking about it on forums and whatnot so whoever wants to know might notice there are people who do prefer different specs. Looks like I'm very much in minority though

Here she is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Very sweet! How does she play?
    "I'm opposed to picketing, but I don't know to show it." --Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe View Post
    Very sweet! How does she play?
    Alright.sent it to the shop for a set up and fret shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

+1 Love my teles! I have a 60 and 63 Fender CS Reissues. They are light and resonant - both with rosewood boards (Lake Placid Blue/Tortoise/Rosewood and 3 Color Sunburst/White/Rosewood + Double bound). Nothing like them!

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-img_8251-jpgTelecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-img_7542-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by waltf View Post
    Heavy but plays and sounds amazing. Probably not staying forever as I prefer my es-175 but I couldn't
    let this one pass.

fender japan all rosewood by wout b, on Flickr
    May I ask what you paid for this?

User Info Menu

I just received last month this Hahn 'Model C' (designed in collaboration with Jim Campilongo). A limited-run, no-frills guitar with a basic, thin finish, Fralin pickups, pine body and compensated radius fretboard. Can be strung through the body or as a top-loader. It's just a great T-style guitar.

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-img_5474-jpg
    Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-modelcheadstockback-jpg
    Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-img_5462-jpg

London Jazz Guitar Society:
    www.meetup.com/londonjazzguitarsociety
    LJGS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/LDNJazzGuitar

User Info Menu

This thread helped me make the jump to jazzish guitar. Still working toward actual jazz. Found a good used deluxe, hated the N3 so gutted it and replaced all electronics vintage style with fender 52s. Sounds great. Compound fretboard is nicer than I expected 10-14. I can get the sound I want from round 9s and my 5 watt Ampeg.
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-image-jpg 

Quote Originally Posted by old tube View Post
    I built my own .... with a lot of help from MJT.

Homage to a well used 1957.

Neck is a treat, big "V" with a 7 1/2" radius fretboard.

Attachment 23170Attachment 23171
    Quite possibly the coolest Telecaster ever.

Here's mine. It's a partscaster. Assembly as follows:

1. Body - Daphne Blue Deluxe Nashville Telecaster
    2. Neck - Warmoth
    3. Pickups - Fender Vintage Noiseless Tele with a Strat pickup
    4. Tuners - Fender Vintage look locking

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-build5-jpgTelecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-2018-christms-ubc-jpg

User Info Menu

Finally got my first telecaster (and I wonder why I have waited for so long before buying one), a baja 60s with pau ferro fretboard. Now I’m a believer.
    Here it is fresh out of the store:

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-71f0e298-aa05-4903-8cc8-6ee7ed5ec6b9-jpg

Great guitar, love the sound and playability, can’t put it down. The fret edges however need to be limed a bit.

User Info Menu

Anyone had a play of the new Performer series? Looks interesting - getting tempted by the HS model and am going to seek one out to try when I am in London next month.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aant View Post
    Finally got my first telecaster (and I wonder why I have waited for so long before buying one), a baja 60s with pau ferro fretboard. Now I’m a believer.
    Here it is fresh out of the store:

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-71f0e298-aa05-4903-8cc8-6ee7ed5ec6b9-jpg

Great guitar, love the sound and playability, can’t put it down. The fret edges however need to be limed a bit.
    Beautiful. With just a bit of care and minor tweaks if required (e.g. I had to change the nut on mine) she’ll give you many satisfactions. Baja 60s are great teles.

User Info Menu

New to the world of jazz guitar, but I’ve been playing rock and reggae for 40 years. This is my 2015 Classic Vibe by Squier. I love the jazz tones it produces. It’s stock except for an ElectroSocket jack cup. I don’t like to over-think something as basic as a Telecaster, buy a good one and just play the hell out of it. It’s an amazing invention.
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-bb529175-db8b-41f6-9985-1fbdd5d7d7b7-jpeg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
    New to the world of jazz guitar, but I’ve been playing rock and reggae for 40 years. This is my 2015 Classic Vibe by Squier. I love the jazz tones it produces. It’s stock except for an ElectroSocket jack cup. I don’t like to over-think something as basic as a Telecaster, buy a good one and just play the hell out of it. It’s an amazing invention.
    You can’t go wrong with that setup.

User Info Menu

(maybe it is already addressed in this thread but I'm too lazy to read it all back )

What stings do you use on your Tele? I use .011 Thomastiks Swings (flatwounds). Love the sound that gives!

(My tele is a modern player P90 Thinline body with Squier classic vibe neck with rosewood (or maybe Indian Laurel wood) fingerboard)
    Last edited by Little Jay; 05-23-2019 at 04:46 AM.
    Jazz, Funk, Soul & Boogaloo: My group | Listen to Hip Jazz a Go Go! | Jazz, Soul, Blues: Eva La Voix

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay View Post
    (maybe it is already addressed in this thread but I'm too lazy to read it all back )

What stings do you use on your Tele? I use .011 Thomastiks Swings (flatwounds). Love the sound that gives!

(My tele is a modern player P90 Thinline body with Squier classic vibe neckt with rosewood (or maybe Indian Laurel wood) fingerboard)
    Yeah it’s funny I was never happy with the sound of TI flats on a tele

OTOH I hate low gauge trebles, so now I use TI bebops .12

My tele with my taylor. T&T

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

A partscaster I finished recently. It's rapidly turning into my #1.

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-img_20181223_103702-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morroben View Post
    A partscaster I finished recently. It's rapidly turning into my #1.
    Flippin sweet.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-dsc_1162-640x360-jpg
    Squier Vintage vibe Tele custom with tweaks.

Telecasters; Find it, Tweak it, Play it, Keep it, Rate it!

<Plug + Bump>.......Jazz Tele Venture
    “When a wise man points at the moon the fool considers the finger.”

User Info Menu

I'm a lifetime user/fan of carved body archtops.

But, I am just going to say it: the Telecaster is the greatest electric guitar ever created, by a mile.

User Info Menu

Jazzbow-Is that a Lollar CC pickup in the neck? Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    Vintage Vibe by Pete Biltoft (missspel't).

Click the link on the original post and all will be explained my friend!
    “When a wise man points at the moon the fool considers the finger.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay View Post

(My tele is a modern player P90 Thinline body with Squier classic vibe neck with rosewood (or maybe Indian Laurel wood) fingerboard)
    I use DR Pure Blues .11s
    I tried flats for a while but I just prefer the sound and the versatility of roundwounds. And the Pure Blues are pretty warm-sounding.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow View Post
    Vintage Vibe by Pete Biltoft .
    Small world-I had Pete build me a CC for my Strat guitar! :-)

Nothing but the best, eh?

Doug

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    I have the Lollar CC in my thinline tele. I like it.

User Info Menu

Such a great thread with beautiful pictures. I’ll contribute with an old clip made with a standard Tele I have.