The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 138

User Info Menu

The Scharpach Vienna Apex is the most beautiful archtop I've EVER seen!

Thoughts?

The Vienna APEX - Scharpach Master Guitars

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You ll need very deep pockets to afford one of those

the builder is quite local to me but I have never seen or heard one played in person, I think they just go from the shop to a VERY select group of players, and/or directly to showcase display collectors

they are awfully nice though. The tuners are especially made for them, and are sunken into the wood. Every little detail on the instrument is just well done

scharpach was one of the original Chinery blue guitar collection builders, and IIRC the only European
    Last edited by fws6; 04-29-2015 at 02:23 AM.

User Info Menu

It's a stunner.

Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    You ll need very deep pockets to afford one of those

the builder is quite local to me but I have never seen or heard one played in person, I think they just go from the shop directly to showcase display collectors

they are awfully nice though. The tuners are especially made for them, and are sunken into the wood. Every little detail on the instrument is just well done

scharpach was one of the original Chinery blue guitar collection builders, and IIRC the only European

I suppose this kind of beauty and attention to detail comes at a price, eh?

Then again, the Benedetto Cremona is $30,000, but, IMO, not even close to being as gorgeous as the Apex.

User Info Menu

I think the prices I saw a few years ago were also at that level, at least. The archtops started around 25k euro which at that time was well over $30k. But that was about 5 years ago , I dont know about the current prices. They are stunning but you can buy a lot of guitar at that price ticket

User Info Menu

I/ve contacted to Theo Scharpach few years ago.He is a really nice person...but he has also cosmic prices.
    I do not know who is playing his beautifull jazz guitars...

User Info Menu

Stunning...sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    I/ve contacted to Theo Scharpach few years ago.He is a really nice person...but he has also cosmic prices.
    I do not know who is playing his beautifull jazz guitars...

It's true that the price is high. But, if this is considered the Rolls Royce of archtops, then I think it follows that it would command an archtop-equivalent price of a Rolls Royce.

As I said before, the Benedetto Cremona starts at $30,000, but doesn't even come close to being this beautiful.

http://benedettoguitars.com/guitars/flagship-series/cremona/

User Info Menu

The action on that guitar looks like one of Freddie Greene's guitars.
    Keith

User Info Menu

How does it sound and play?

User Info Menu

Looks fantastic, what's the bridge wood?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marwin Moody
    Looks fantastic, what's the bridge wood?
    Looks like maple? (To match the binding.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Looks like maple? (To match the binding.)
    I didn't even notice the maple binding! Looks great, wonder how the tone of a maple bridge is, I've only ever played TOM-style bridges. Are there advantages to wood binding (except aesthetically)?

User Info Menu

Fabulous. A jewel of an instrument.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    The action on that guitar looks like one of Freddie Greene's guitars.
    Keith
    Freddie Greens action was around ½" at the 12th fret. We are not quite there with this one. In fact - as far as I can see from the pictures - it's about where I would set it with an acoustic archtop. (I would set it somewhat lower on an electric guitar).

BTW, I agree that its a gorgeous guitar. I like those violin inspired F-holes a lot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    ...I like those violin inspired F-holes a lot.
    This one is great too and it is about $12 000 Koentopp Guitars - Hand Made Guitars by Luthier Dan Koentopp .

As is this one for about $12 000 http://www.yanuziello.com/archtops.html#item63 .

Within the reach of mere mortals like meself...what a quaint concept. Of course, I do have to ride the bus for the rest of time.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 04-29-2015 at 10:06 AM.

User Info Menu

Yes, it's absolutely gorgeous.

However, like... Gisele Bundchen? Scarlett Johansson? Sophia Loren in her prime? (etc.)

...it's too costly to acquire and maintain, and will give performance only to a level tempered by your own competence at handling her. Which is not likely to be enough to justify the bragging rights, and the ultimately diminishing returns of extended ownership.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar

However, like... Gisele Bundchen? Scarlett Johansson? Sophia Loren in her prime? (etc.)

...it's too costly to acquire and maintain, and will give performance only to a level tempered by your own competence at handling her. Which is not likely to be enough to justify the bragging rights, and the ultimately diminishing returns of extended ownership.
    Scharpach archtop: $40,000+
    Ferrari F430: $300,000
    Brazilian model 2nd wife who is 30 years younger than you: $2,000,000+ after inevitable divorce settlement
    Knowledge that you really can't handle any of these things competently - priceless!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    Scharpach archtop: $40,000+
    Ferrari F430: $300,000
    Brazilian model 2nd wife who is 30 years younger than you: $2,000,000+ after inevitable divorce settlement
    Knowledge that you really can't handle any of these things competently - priceless!
    and where is a jazz gig for $50?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    Brazilian model 2nd wife who is 30 years younger than you
    that would be illegal theyd put me in jail for marrying a minor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar

Oh . . . I don't know about that analogy. Sophia and I would have been quite content growing old with each other. I'm quite sure the shared level of Italian competence at handling each other would have been mutually rewarding. ;-)

But, looking back these past 46 years with my wife . . . I'd not trade her for either of these three . . or for all three collectively for that matter.

User Info Menu

I wonder is it playing in tune with different gauges of strings but this bridge is beautifull.

User Info Menu

I'm not taken with the "headstock"..... It's a definite deal breaker for me..... HaHaHa Hehehe....

User Info Menu

I agree with Kris . . the bridge is beautiful. But, I don't see any adjustability in it. I also can tell if there's a truss rod cover. Possible carbon rods in the neck and no adjustability there either?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kkfan
    It's true that the price is high. But, if this is considered the Rolls Royce of archtops, then I think it follows that it would command an archtop-equivalent price of a Rolls Royce.

As I said before, the Benedetto Cremona starts at $30,000, but doesn't even come close to being this beautiful.

http://benedettoguitars.com/guitars/flagship-series/cremona/
    I take exception to that statement. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but as the owner and lover of a Benedetto Cremona I wouldn't trade straight across for this guitar. I'm not particularly fond of the headstock shape, the open tuning pegs, or the tailpiece.

That's what makes horseraces as they say.