The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 95 of 95

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    a one off custom built for the head of PRS HR dept. as an anniversary present .
    I Carved top semi hollow version of the Carlos Santana model with an Indian Rosewood neck, Brazilian fretboard , Turquoise inlays, matching back , in a one off color . It's similar in size to the ES 339/356 a 7/8 335 . Volume/Tone /Toggle and a Trem

Clean it pulls off 335 tones with no problem , sustain forever , will devour gain stacking with sweet creamy tone.
    What a beauty! How did it find you..? Would love to hear how it sounds…

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Lately, my "main squeeze" has been this Strat that I built from parts (Warmoth body and neck, all other parts are Fender, except the tuners which are Gotoh). It has a lightweight Ash body, a 1 11/16 nut with a compound radius, 4th generation Vintage Noiseless pickups and she is a hardtail (Weight is just under 7 pounds). Combined with my Henriksen Bud 6, jazz guitar tone and great playability are all there. Show Off Your Main Squeeze! Post a pic of the guitar you consider “the One.”-black-strat-jpg

User Info Menu

Moffa Lorraine and VB model 15. the Moffa has been #1 but recently pulled the VB back into the mix, great guitar

User Info Menu

Show Off Your Main Squeeze! Post a pic of the guitar you consider “the One.”-img_9993-jpg

I don’t know about THE one, I have a few that are very special to me, but this one has a lot of magic and I feel like we have a very strong connection. Obviously it was made for someone else long before I was born but the connection I have to it feels like it was built for me. The shape of the neck is massive but in a way that feels like home to me. The responsiveness is like nothing else. And the sound when played with a dearmond floating pickup is my quintessential good jazz tone.

User Info Menu

This amazing Heritage H555 has been my go to, do it all guitar for many years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    Lately, my "main squeeze" has been this Strat that I built from parts (Warmoth body and neck, all other parts are Fender, except the tuners which are Gotoh). It has a lightweight Ash body, a 1 11/16 nut with a compound radius, 4th generation Vintage Noiseless pickups and she is a hardtail (Weight is just under 7 pounds). Combined with my Henriksen Bud 6, jazz guitar tone and great playability are all there. Show Off Your Main Squeeze! Post a pic of the guitar you consider “the One.”-black-strat-jpg
    How are those pickups? Do they sound like regular strat pickups?

User Info Menu

'51 ES-350, a lifer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A. View Post
    How are those pickups? Do they sound like regular strat pickups?
    PM sent so as to not create thread drift.

User Info Menu

Ken Parker addressed the overhanging top and back of violins and other stringed instruments including guitars in his video on his nylon string guitar discussed elsewhere on the forum. He says it makes repairs easier, because the top and/or back can be removed without damaging the rest of the instrument, and the top and back can be repaired should the edge be damaged. It makes sense to me, and I'm not sure why it isn't standard with guitar builders. Binding the edges is much more work, and makes repairs problematic and expensive. The purfling around the top also affects the response of the top, theoretically improving it. I certainly wouldn't turn down a guitar with overhangs.

User Info Menu

That's a beaut Telephone! Is that the one you brought down from 12th Fret in Toronto? Did that all work out well?
    I only mention it as I think it's a bit of an over-looked resource for States-side folks, and they have the Canadian peso working for them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft View Post
    That's a beaut Telephone! Is that the one you brought down from 12th Fret in Toronto? Did that all work out well?
    I only mention it as I think it's a bit of an over-looked resource for States-side folks, and they have the Canadian peso working for them.
    Hey thanks! This is not the one from 12th Fret. That transaction worked out quite well. No cross-border problems, nice folks as well.

This one came along not long after I got the one from 12th Fret. Both guitars were from the same batch; one is sn A-6872, the other is A-6879. I've since moved along the one from 12th Fret. You can read about how I came to possess both guitars in this thread. So, this just happened. ES-350 content | The Gear Page Aside from one having much more play wear, both guitars were eerily similar, so I kept the cleaner one. Still gigging it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Enlightened Rogue View Post
    My condolences to the CS Jackson’s p/u’s. Looks and sounds like you are in good hands with the Jean.
    Many thanks! It's a great guitar for sure.

User Info Menu

My first guess on the reason guitars are made as they are is tradition. That's how they have always been made, so that's the only way they should be made. I would like to try one with the overhang, and I can guarantee you that if I hit a big lottery and have a billion dollar windfall, someone will be willing to part with a Parker archtop for what I would be willing to pay. I don't think I have enough time left above the ground to spend a billion dollars, but it would be fun trying. A thousand million dollars would buy a lot of guitars.

User Info Menu

Show Off Your Main Squeeze! Post a pic of the guitar you consider “the One.”-img_1588-jpg

Don’t really have a favourite, but this is my newest and I’m growing quite fond of it: an Epi LP Special. Replaced the nut with bone, but otherwise mint. Beautifully crafted, great neck, great electronics and surprisingly good pickups. I aim for a tone that fits somewhere between Grant Green and Muddy Waters and this fits the bill admirably. Well done Epi!

User Info Menu

Right now it's this tele.
    Show Off Your Main Squeeze! Post a pic of the guitar you consider “the One.”-tele-jpg

User Info Menu

I have some Teles and SG's I use a lot, plus a Gretsch Electromatic, but since I bought this Ibanez I've been playing it pretty exclusively.

(day one pic, still has the packing foam under the bridge)
    Show Off Your Main Squeeze! Post a pic of the guitar you consider “the One.”-c14ffa40-509f-47cc-8c7c-eaee05fdc7d5-jpg

User Info Menu

Nothing special, a plain-looking Wu product, with no bling, as ordered. But it's the one I pick up almost every time, whether for acoustic or amplified playing. I have a Benedetto, but this one gets much more play, because it just sounds so good to me, and plays so well. And rotated, as is almost always the case here.

Show Off Your Main Squeeze! Post a pic of the guitar you consider “the One.”-pxl_20210211_181504950-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VesaW View Post
    Attachment 111961
    I have only one guitar - 2016 Gibson Memphis Figured Natural ES-175.
    Different finish, but my one and only is a 16 VOS as well. Done buying, done looking. Swear I spent more money A/B - ing strings, mainly because they all sounded good to me on this guitar, but once I figured that out, the gear quest drive just ended. Peace!.. and focus on getting better replaced GAS
    Attached Images Attached Images Show Off Your Main Squeeze! Post a pic of the guitar you consider “the One.”-pxl_20240528_223956980-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Enlightened Rogue View Post
    Lovely guitar. That is a very nice burst.
    Mr. Wu does shoot a very nice burst. His finishes are very well done.

User Info Menu

I’m an admitted Benedetto fanboy since first seeing and hearing his instruments in the mid-‘90’s. I purchased a Fratello model in 2000, and it and my late 50’s ES 175 were my main squeezes for many years. Between then and now a number of great instruments have come and gone - including those fine instruments. But earlier this year I acquired this ‘90 Cremona and the love affair has reignited. It sounds great as both an acoustic and amplified archtop; and the materials and craftsmanship are spectacular.

AKA
    Attached Images Attached Images Show Off Your Main Squeeze! Post a pic of the guitar you consider “the One.”-img_0746-jpeg Show Off Your Main Squeeze! Post a pic of the guitar you consider “the One.”-img_0730-jpeg