The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 39 of 39

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    Op, if all you want is a warmer sound with less treble, all you have to do is go to a 250k or even 100k volume pot depending on how warm you like it. It's that simple. However, switching pickups is always fun too. I'd want to switch out an Epi pup if that's what's in there.
    Then you can just roll off your tone control or dial back your volume... same effect and saves you the trouble of replacing the pots.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    I don't see the StewMac Golden Age on their website anymore. It's discontinued? The have the (pricey) Parson's Street humbucker and the StewMac Humbucker. Is the latter the incarnation of the Golden Age?
    You know I think I meant Parson Street. They are pricey but still about half what you pay for Gibsons or Seymour Duncans

User Info Menu

Thanks all. I didn't ghost you, just absorbing all the information.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Michael
    I've owned an Epiphone Broadway for a while and the neck pickup is very harsh on the treble side. I have tried adjusting multiple ways but is doesn't change much.
    You weren’t specific so I’ll ask, did you try lowering the pickup screws on the treble strings? Did you try lowering the pickup on the treble side? Do you usually play with the volume pot full up, or do you roll it off a bit to tame the highs?

User Info Menu

Hey Kevin, I've had a decent amount of experience tweaking guitars, pots, pickups and more.
    I've ended up tweaking because I too want the guitars I've owned to sound their best, and sometimes we just know that it's the pickup that won't allow us to dial in or dial out of the problem. You say you've made adjustments, and if that didn't nail it, I'd say it's time for a swap.
    I've had p/ups that were too thin or harsh on the top strings, too muddy on the bottoms, and some that just didn't deliver.
    If you've tried everything else, it's hard to say exactly which pup will do it in your guitar, with your fingers, your pick, and amp.
    I have an L5 CES that wasn't doin' it for me. Until I put in a pair of Seth Lovers. Just beautiful, and responsive without tweaking! 57's never excited me in my guitars, I had several.
    The 3 latest Epiphones I bought in the last 4-5 years all have excellent p/ups that are stock. Not that that helps you, but I believe strongly in swapping. Save up and buy the Seth Lovers, and keep the old p/ups for a resell. You can always sell the SL's (or put them in another guitar!)

User Info Menu

The way I found to make my Broadway sound decent is to put heavy fat strings on it (TI 14's)
    I bought the guitar new and it had 10's on it
    I may consider a pick-up swap to go further

User Info Menu

I would definitely go with the '57 classic (Gibson). I have them in all my guitars and they always sound wonderful

User Info Menu

Ever since I've started this thread I've been messing with settings again. Pickup high, pickup low, screws in, screws out. You know, the usual stuff. I can get some nice tone on the b and e strings through amp settings but then lower strings are muddy. Cheap amp. Fender Champion 40 with Cannabis Rex on a tilted stand behind playing position.

I actually like the guitar and it plays well although heavy when wearing strap. Not really sure how much money I want to throw at it when I could put that money to a different guitar. I tried an Emperor Regent with floater but that was the reverb deal from hell. Too bad.

The stock pick just seems to be too hot on the treble side. Output not consistent across strings. My wife has a tin ear and she doesn't like it either.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Michael
    Ever since I've started this thread I've been messing with settings again. Pickup high, pickup low, screws in, screws out. You know, the usual stuff. I can get some nice tone on the b and e strings through amp settings but then lower strings are muddy. Cheap amp. Fender Champion 40 with Cannabis Rex on a tilted stand behind playing position.

I actually like the guitar and it plays well although heavy when wearing strap. Not really sure how much money I want to throw at it when I could put that money to a different guitar. I tried an Emperor Regent with floater but that was the reverb deal from hell. Too bad.

The stock pick just seems to be too hot on the treble side. Output not consistent across strings. My wife has a tin ear and she doesn't like it either.
    It’s worth upgrading because there’s not many other options for a 25.5” scale 17 inch guitar, unless you’re going to spend for a real Gibson.

User Info Menu

I always think, if I am going to play the guitar, I should do the work to make it the best possible guitar for me.

If I am not really going to play it, then I should just sell the guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM
    It’s worth upgrading because there’s not many other options for a 25.5” scale 17 inch guitar, unless you’re going to spend for a real Gibson.
    Excellent point. There are not a lot of 17" out there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by st.bede
    I always think, if I am going to play the guitar, I should do the work to make it the best possible guitar for me.

If I am not really going to play it, then I should just sell the guitar.
    That is a very good way to look at it. This particular guitar plays really well. Comfortable, minor setup and tweaking fixed some issues and I finally cured the occasional odd buzzing from the body. The buzzing and discomfort is why I sold the Gibson.

Guess I will have to try some of the pickup/wiring options already given above.

User Info Menu

There is only one downside. After I have spent time getting a guitar to do what I want, It can be hard to sell.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by st.bede
    There is only one downside. After I have spent time getting a guitar to do what I want, It can be hard to sell.
    A Broadway in good condition, with upgraded pickups and wiring will be fairly easy to sell here. Broadways are wonderful. Here's a photo of one of them that I upgraded and sold on this forum. I added Seth Lovers, new tuners, L-5 pickguard, Gibson style pickguard bracket, Gibson knobs, custom truss rod cover, Switchcraft switch, Switchcraft jack, CTS pots, Sprague capacitors, new harness, and I carved the base of the bridge to fit the curve of the top exactly. Played and sounded fantastic. A fine instrument and I miss it.
    Pickup upgrade Epiphone Broadway-broadway-1-jpeg