The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 80

User Info Menu

This is my first posting. Over the past few months I’ve tried many hollowbodys looking for “my guitar” and today went to one place that had a 1989 175 and a 1954 175 an L4 and this es 165 from 1991. I could not believe the sound and responsiveness from the 165. Acoustically and through an amp. I wasn’t hearing/playing notes I was hearing music. This 165 is music. I’ve never had that expirence before. It’s tone was deep and beautiful and it opening up a musical world I was not expecting. I know every instrument is different but I was not prepared for this 165 to create a sound world that those other instruments did not. I guess I just got lucky and met my soul mate today. Of course I bought it.

by the way thank you all for your amazing posts. So helpful.

dave

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great choice. Most people never get a chance to compare so many vintage and new examples of 175's and L4's against each other when they are shopping for a guitar of that style. You're so fortunate.

User Info Menu

Awesome. Always nice to find an instrument that works as an extension of yourself and is an enhancement to your musical skills and abilities. Very happy for you! Play it often!

User Info Menu

Now that's how you choose your guitar, ignoring labels, listening and following your heart. Congrats, someone here will ask you to post pics, so, you should post a picture for us.

Thanks all. I was fortunate to have several choices. I so wanted to love the 1989 ES175, but it was not happening.
    Heres some pics. I'll post some videos too pretty soon. I think i like it without the pic guard.
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson ES-165 - I’m in Love-69533888104__9aaf240f-bc36-46b4-9dc1-741ce9a2098a-fullsizerender-jpg Gibson ES-165 - I’m in Love-69533891318__b866de71-4d79-4587-9f0d-c103e7fd39c8-fullsizerender-jpg Gibson ES-165 - I’m in Love-img_9451-jpg Gibson ES-165 - I’m in Love-img_9452-jpg 

Forgive the sound. I live in Brooklyn and surrounded by neighbors and if I want to maintain good relations I dont power up my amp. It’s actually in storage. The sound is a combination of the iPhone camera mic and the 165 is plugged into my music audio work station in my computer. Too much processing….Will be working on a more natural sound for the future

User Info Menu

Nice find... I want one

S

User Info Menu

Good to see someone so happy with a guitar. Mind if I ask how much u paid for it?

Quote Originally Posted by KingKong
    Good to see someone so happy with a guitar. Mind if I ask how much u paid for it?
    $3100. Probably a bit too much. The seller had me right where he wanted since he knew how much I liked it. Actually it was a very enjoyable morning. We had a great time trying guitars and he was very nice so spending that much wasn’t the worst thing. His time is worth something too.

dave

User Info Menu

Very classy color. I agree with the guitar looking better without the pic guard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jetrexpro
    $3100. Probably a bit too much. The seller had me right where he wanted since he knew how much I liked it. Actually it was a very enjoyable morning. We had a great time trying guitars and he was very nice so spending that much wasn’t the worst thing. His time is worth something too.

dave
    Well its a pro level instrument and if you love it so much what is 3000 dollars in the grand scheme of life? Money is worthless in the bank, it's what you use it for that has the real value.

User Info Menu

dave

Congratulations on acquiring your 'new-to-you' ES-165. I hope it brings you many years of enjoyment.

I love your 165's full frontal photo, so I copied it above for another look. :-)

My very first archtop purchase was around 1998 or '99. It was a red ES-165! I do not have any photos of it but it was very similar to yours. It had the original black pickguard. It might have had Herb Ellis script on the headstock, but my memory is hazy on that minor point.

But most importantly, it played and sounded amazing!

User Info Menu

dave
    Good price for a good fit. Most of us live with learning about why an instrument isn't the right one before finding the one that says "THIS is what it's about." That's priceless.
    If you can afford it and you play it, it's going to become invaluable very soon and you won't even remember how much you paid for it.
    Play it with joy!

Gitfidler, mine was made in 1991 and the herb Ellis decal must have come a bit later. Since mine didn’t have one. I think 1991 was the first year for the es165

User Info Menu

Great looking guitar. I love seeing that little bit of finish worn off the edge of a picku cover. Proof that it's a pleasure to play!

User Info Menu

Before I was truly committed to archtops I tried a few import brands. I did try a CC ES-175 many years ago but I didn’t like it. Too noisy, heavy, and stiff feeling. Then I started to see the writing on the wall about how undervalued ES-165s were. So I picked both variations a few years ago. Both arrived in nearly new condition except for tarnish. Super happy. I found archtop peace.

Beautiful instrument! I like Florentine cutaways too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Good price for a good fit. Most of us live with learning about why an instrument isn't the right one before finding the one that says "THIS is what it's about." That's priceless.
    If you can afford it and you play it, it's going to become invaluable very soon and you won't even remember how much you paid for it.
    Play it with joy!
    I felt this way when I bought the guitar. As soon as I picked it up and played even without an amp it sounded harmonious and warm. It’s priceless when you find “your” instrument.

The reason I mention the price being high is that these fine instruments are out of the reach of many players who would benefit from a responsive instrument like this. I saved up for a few years while I slowly shopped around and learned mostly about guitars that I didn’t want. Although most of these guitars are priced pretty high and sit unsold for months on various websites especially Reverb.

User Info Menu

I have an ES165 of the same vintage and yes, they are magnificent. I did change out the pickup for a Seymour Duncan Seth Lover, but even without that, it was sensational.

User Info Menu

Thanks all. I was fortunate to have several choices. I so wanted to love the 1989 ES175, but it was not happening.
    Heres some pics. I'll post some videos too pretty soon. I think i like it without the pic guard.
    Looks like you've got a decent rug also.

A man needs a nice rug to sit and play his guitar on.

User Info Menu

I felt this way when I bought the guitar. As soon as I picked it up and played even without an amp it sounded harmonious and warm. It’s priceless when you find “your” instrument.

The reason I mention the price being high is that these fine instruments are out of the reach of many players who would benefit from a responsive instrument like this. I saved up for a few years while I slowly shopped around and learned mostly about guitars that I didn’t want. Although most of these guitars are priced pretty high and sit unsold for months on various websites especially Reverb.
    So what's been your journey up to this lovely 6 string? I.e. what guitars have you owned and played, which ones did you try out and dismiss, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I have an ES165 of the same vintage and yes, they are magnificent. I did change out the pickup for a Seymour Duncan Seth Lover, but even without that, it was sensational.
    Lawson Stone could you describe what the Seth Lover did for the sound?

Quote Originally Posted by KingKong
    So what's been your journey up to this lovely 6 string? I.e. what guitars have you owned and played, which ones did you try out and dismiss, etc?
    early on I had a Les Paul and an old L4 that was loaded with a Charlie Christian pick up. Both were let go when they went unplayed while I was playing in Nashville. At that time the Fender sound was in.

during my search i played about every hollowbody I could get my hands on. Guild, Gretch, Ibanez, a bunch of Gibsons and others. I never took to any Gretch. Really liked the Guild sound but they felt stiff. Like I was fighting with them to make music. I write music too so when I play an instrument I’m aware if it is contributing to the flow of ideas or it’s it hindering.

User Info Menu

I dig the red color and the L5 bridge base looks cool . The best live trio recording I've had was on an ES165. It had the stock 490 pickup. Congrats.

User Info Menu

You are correct that your '91 is an early build (lacking the headstock decal). The red is early and unique. I had a black, with gold trim, '92 with the decal on the headstock. I swapped out the pickup for a Classic 57. It was one of the cool guitars I should have kept/hoarded. But the next owner was very overjoyed when he got it! That always makes me feel better, too!
    Gibson ES-165 - I’m in Love-bcd25a4a-4d24-4fbe-838e-1f75235ed2ce_1_201_a-jpeg
    I think archtops look best with the pickguards. It's not like they are little cellos, but guitars - that are plucked and picked. Thus a finger rest or protective guard is part of the essence and character of the instrument. But to each his own!