The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi all,
    I'm building a GA-5 amp (the Octal preamp version with the 6SJ7 tube). I'm modding it and will put in a spring reverb. Since the amp is built with the purpous of being light and easy to carry around, I was looking at different small sice ones.
    A friend of mine was worried if a smaller reverb tank was going to muddy up the sound. This was the one I was planning to put in: Tube-Town Store - Accutronics Reverb Tank 8AB2A1B

The amp will actually a mix between a regular "Champ" with the 5F1 circuit and a GA-5 with the possibilty to chose between if you would like the "Champ" sound or the octal preamp sound from a gibson amp. I'v made a 12W one based on the same concept with eather 12ay7/6SC7 tubes or 6SJ7/6SC7 reamp stage which plays beautifully.

Does anybody have an idea on how much the sice of the spring reverb tank will affect the sound? It's mainly for archtop bebop playing.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Interesting project! Pics, schematics and sound clips would be nice!

The reverb with a shorter reverb tank has usually a bit metallic sound. You can’t turn it on too much. But I think that it is enough for bebop!

User Info Menu

"Light and easy to carry" will be compromised with the reverb. The driver and recovery tubes will need power, chassis space and maybe another transformer.
    Personally I only built a single amp with a reverb tank (and it was already a big heavy amp on casters). Otherwise, I use a transistorized floor reverb effects unit.

I'll use this in my amp. Wanted to get away from another transformer so this is quite an interesting piece of equipment Tube-Town Store - Kit LNDVerb.
    Placing the TT between preamp ant powertubes. To get a hole free for the 6SJ7 tube I'll go for a SS rectifier instead of the 5Y3, which will also reduce the weight.Thoughts on a reverb tank in a Gibson octal amp?-ss-sc1-5f1-w-reverb-v-01-png
    Last edited by Kurre; 02-21-2022 at 02:38 PM. Reason: adding link

User Info Menu

I switched out a short tank for a long tank in my Mesa Calibre 22. Looking at your link, I believe that is the replacement for the OEM one I took out. It's listed as 3 spring medium delay. The one I put in is listed as 3 spring long delay.

I think you're fine with the short tank. I'd imagine it's in the Mesa Mark 5-25, given it's small size. The one I put in does have the ability to do huge surf-style reverb, but I don't think you're looking for that.

The short tank I took out wasn't working right. I don't remember not liking it when it was working. I just thought I'd go with the long tank since that's what I had in some of my other amps.

Just saw your post about a digital unit: I find the digital reverb in my Quilters to be as good as the springs for the amount I use.
    Last edited by ccroft; 02-21-2022 at 02:44 PM. Reason: adding digital comment

This is from the 6SJ7 5B3 Deluxe. Plan was to use a switch but to much interference so had to redo and the input jacks control the preamp. Then I'll use a AB pedal to shift between pramps. The best of two world. Need to get a lighter one. That's why this build comes to life.Thoughts on a reverb tank in a Gibson octal amp?-6sj7-5b3-deluxe-1-jpegThoughts on a reverb tank in a Gibson octal amp?-6sj7-5b3-deluxe-2-jpegThoughts on a reverb tank in a Gibson octal amp?-5e3-pentode-without-switch-jpegThoughts on a reverb tank in a Gibson octal amp?-6sj7-5b3-deluxe-1-jpegThoughts on a reverb tank in a Gibson octal amp?-6sj7-5b3-deluxe-2-jpegThoughts on a reverb tank in a Gibson octal amp?-5e3-pentode-without-switch-jpeg