The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 45 of 45

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Time for small claims court if the owner fails to cancel his bill and also pay you for the damage he caused.

You should publish the shop name ASAP to prevent others from having their instruments damaged.
    I’m holding off on publishing the shop name until this is buttoned up. I’m in Philly, and it’s an established shop here.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

customxke, Im sure that Im not the only Luthier on this forum with a strong theory of what has gone horribly wrong with your refret, but as the 'new guy' here I dont want to impose myself when there are more experienced members that should advise you before me. Its just good etiquette and manners.

With that said, knowing the make and model, of this guitar, with additional images if you have them will really help those that want to help.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AcVox
    customxke, Im sure that Im not the only Luthier on this forum with a strong theory of what has gone horribly wrong with your refret, but as the 'new guy' here I dont want to impose myself when there are more experienced members that should advise you before me. Its just good etiquette and manners.

With that said, knowing the make and model, of this guitar, with additional images if you have them will really help those that want to help.
    It's a 1957 Gibson L5CESN.

User Info Menu

OMG !
    Hope you'll be able to solve this matter in the best way possible for you
    I feel for you

User Info Menu

I'm curious. Were the original frets still on the guitar when you dropped it off?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by telephone
    I'm curious. Were the original frets still on the guitar when you dropped it off?
    They were not the original frets.

User Info Menu

Damn that poor guitar is GOOCHED!

User Info Menu

OMG what a horror. In PHILLY, where all things guitar are supposed to be great?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by customxke
    I’m holding off on publishing the shop name until this is buttoned up. I’m in Philly, and it’s an established shop here.
    Has there been any resolution on the matter?

User Info Menu

Logistics is unevitable in car services, they learned it, to stay business. However there are much more market for car repair than guitar repair, luthiers are not so great in logistics, simply market did not demand it. Because of there are steps in the repair which involves waiting periods, they do many jobs in parallel. However organizing parallelism and do correct time estimates, again needs logistics.

In the other hand I think just like in some other professions, some of them tends to be simply not entirely tell the truth to customer, and priorize better payment/work ratio jobs inserting the waiting queue ad-hoc. Also it is possible some of them are simply not like some of type of work and procastinating such type ... in favor for jobs they like more.

User Info Menu

Worst fret job I've ever seen. Looks like someone was learning on your guitar but not learning well

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by telephone
    Has there been any resolution on the matter?
    Some. I'm getting quotes to have it fixed. Some of the luthiers that have held it in hand don't want to take it on. The owner of the shop is taking a leave of absence. I believe he has some personal drama in his life. Not my problem, but might explain a bit. I just wish he would have said "I can't do this right now" instead of hacking up my guitar.

User Info Menu

Some. I'm getting quotes to have it fixed. Some of the luthiers that have held it in hand don't want to take it on. The owner of the shop is taking a leave of absence. I believe he has some personal drama in his life. Not my problem, but might explain a bit. I just wish he would have said "I can't do this right now" instead of hacking up my guitar.
    Thanks for the update. I imagine he created a whole lot of work for whoever ends up taking it on. Very unfortunate.

I remain hopeful for you though. The right guy should be able to bring it back from its current state. Keep us posted.

User Info Menu

That is unfortunate. He’s clearly lost his marbles judging from the delay and subsequent car crash of a fretjob.

What puzzles me is the amateurish mistakes he made. All easily avoidable. In fact I’d go as far as to claim that the man in question is not a luthier of any sort. Does he own a shop? Maybe gets a local repair guy to moonlight for him? Decided to have a crack at your vintage Gibson himself?

Might do your soul some good to call it a bad day and get it fixed elsewhere. Maybe down the line he can find a way to compensate you.

Im sorry you’ve had to experience this.

User Info Menu

Send it to Cris Mirabella. Won't be cheap but at least you can get some sleep at night.

PS I spent $2075 to replace the entire neck of a nylon string guitar with a badly repaired cracked peghead. It buzzed at a certain frequency. I will not be able to recover the cost but it is a guitar with a nice backstory so I went ahead with it and sent it back to its maker for the job. Yes, I sleep better knowing that I made it whole again. The guitar thanks me for it.

User Info Menu

How would you describe the overall condition of your guitar prior to this refret ?

What have the luthiers that have had your guitar 'in hand' said to you about your guitar ?

The close up images you shared helped illustrate the point you were making so with that in mind, some partial and full body images would give us an impression of the whole guitar, if your happy to do so.
    Last edited by AcVox; 08-10-2021 at 06:01 PM.

User Info Menu

If the owner is having drama in his life, perhaps he gave the job to an employee, who perhaps lacked the necessary experience, instead of doing it himself. It's difficult to conceive that the job was done by anyone experienced in guitar repair.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AcVox
    How would you describe the overall condition of your guitar prior to this refret ?

What have the luthiers that have had your guitar 'in hand' said to you about your guitar ?

The close up images you shared helped illustrate the point you were making so with that in mind, some partial and full body images would give us an impression of the whole guitar, if your happy to do so.
    Not sure why the condition of my guitar matters, but here’s a pic:

How long is too long?-7c799ea4-3095-4f35-ac1c-72735df9d872-jpg

User Info Menu

That looks like it was done by a detoxing addict watching a "re-fret your guitar" youtube video.

User Info Menu

@customxke

Did you get this resolved?