The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

If you spend any time on YouTube, you'll see an ad by B&G guitars. I'm really smitten by these. I like the parlor guitar size and the vibe of the non-cutaway version. They sound like a nice balance between acoustic and electric guitar. Has anyone here tried one? (I like the Cedar of Lebanon with P90s -- the first link below; but the all Mahogany with "Kikbuckers sounds good too -- the second link)

Little Sister Private Build, Cedar of Lebanon - YouTube

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've played them.
    Massively over-hyped, way overpriced, but perfectly nice little guitars, IMO.

User Info Menu

they have a less expensive made in china, "crossroads" line out now as well...about 1/3 the cost

lance keltner demoing-

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    ...'less expensive made in china, "crossroads" line out now as well...about 1/3 the cost' ...
    $1,499 including shipping. These guys are very smart. Hats off to them, really, in terms of how they have built their brand equity. Unlike the asshats over at Duesenberg, these guys have some class.

User Info Menu

Thanks Hammertone for sharing you hands-on experience and impressions. High cost and over hyping of the Private Build aside, you did mention you thought it was a nice guitar. Do you think it is worth considering in the Crossroad series at the lower $1,499 price?

User Info Menu

Intrigued by them, nearly bought a used one but couldn't get past the gimmicky inverted f-holes. It struck me that they were no more than the Seventy-seven Guitars Stork and Albatross, Archtop Tribute offerings or Gibson's own ES-Les Paul with slotheads. Slotheads are a pleasure in nylon string guitars but a pain in the tush in steel string guitars.

I guess I don't really like them.

User Info Menu

I tried these briefly at the Mannheim Guitar Summit, in the hopes of finding a small and lightweight jazz box with acoustic qualities. The looks and size are attractive, build quality excellent, but the body is a hollowed-out slab of solid wood. Certainly good for sustain and feedback resistance, but too heavy against my expectations. Rock, blues, New Age, Fusion etc. but not what the visuals promise. Made in Israel, I was told.

User Info Menu

A few things:
    -I also can't stand the gimmicky inverted f-holes
    -the aforementioned
    gimmicky inverted f-holes are in the wrong place - too *&^%$ low on the body
    -I also think that the slothead headstock is a pain - a mannered feature that has greater negative than positive functionality.
    -I personally prefer a 16th fret neck/body joint on this style of instrument
    I recognize that everything above that I don't like is central to their marketing concept, so clearly, I am not one of their targeted consumers.

They are still perfectly nice guitars if none of that bothers you.
    Well-built, decent quality components, pretty wood, nice attention to detail.
    I just don't like them, and
    would not pay that price.
    Even if I did like them, I
    would not pay that price, given the other options out there for a chambered solid-body guitar with @1.68" nut width, 24 3/4" scale, @13" +/- width and so forth. It's not a jazz box, just another chambered solidbody.

And I like chambered solidbody guitars
    with @1.68" nut width, 24 3/4" scale, @13" +/- width - I have three of them.

But, I'm just a cranky old guy, so IMO, YMMV, and whatever other caveats Chris typically puts in.

Last edited by Hammertone; 11-07-2019 at 04:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks fellas. These are very useful feedbacks about the B&G guitars. Between being left-handed and in the wilds of Colorado, my chances for a personal experience with these guitars are quite limited. Your inputs mean more to me than you may know.

It has the look of a parlor size acoustic-style guitar, which appeals to me. I guess it's kind of wishful thinking on my part that it might have a thin-lined, flat-top, P90 feel to it. The fact that it has a more Les Paul thing (albeit a chambered version...) only makes sense. I saw one review that compared its chamber body to a small ES-335. I also saw a comments (I think on the B&G site), asking about a full hollow body version and B&G's responding that this might be a possibility.

Meanwhile, while still on the Custom Build and Crossroads versions -- has anyone actually played both versions?

I understand the differences in the models (handwound PUs, wiring, detail to finishing, and of course, the price), but I'm wondering if there is any real difference in playing feel, and for the lack of better wording, the mojo differences between the two instruments.

User Info Menu

B&G Guitars are nice, but check out their old school amp!!

Prototype Amp - Limited Edition - New Old Stock - B&G Guitars
    The B&G Prototype™ Amp is our take on the classic tube amps of the 1950s & '60s. Inspired by the sound and design concepts of that era, our hearts and minds were set on combining the best features of those classics with our own ideas and innovation.
    Our main goal was to provide a great amount of clean headroom and to push the breaking point higher, without compromising the power and growl of the tube overdrive and fuzz.
    In order to provide that warm vintage sound, we went on a quest to source limited amounts of new, old-stock audio capacitors and find the perfect match between all components.
    Each B&G Prototype™ amp is assembled and hand-wired in Israel by the B&G Private Build staff.
    This NOS capacitors edition is limited to 100 pieces worldwide.

User Info Menu

Out of curiosity I looked at the ( only, I think) UK dealer's site. According to this, they have sold around 40 guitars at prices upwards of £3K. Sometimes, well upwards.

No wish to knock the venture, good for them, no idea about quality etc....but surprising, to me anyway: the UK market has been pretty dead for some time - and the only dedicated jazz guitar shop in London is about to close.

About the amp; "NOS" capacitors are NOS for a reason - although if people will pay extra over new equivalent stock, fine.

User Info Menu

And how long do NOS capacitors last?

User Info Menu

caps and resistors are all rated (when new) on +/- percent spec...so any part can vary a fairly wide degree...(ex. a 500 k pot can vary from 450k to 550k @ 10% spec...& some were 20%!)...its when the gods combine all the various mish mosh into something great, that people proclaim it to be a great amp!!!...but it's near impossible to reproduce...in quantity esp...nos caps have vintage mojo, if nothing else...but they are one small part of a huge system..from pick/fingernail to speaker....and recording it..adds a million more variables!!

when someone bases their perfect tone on a grant green record....remember, its been through a million variables to get to that point...to you...even the musicians involved seldom like the tone of their recorded works!!!

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 11-06-2019 at 09:02 PM.

User Info Menu

I saw recently that Maybach is doing a similar model, but with f-holes facing the traditional direction. They're made in the Czech Republic. FYI, the following demo is not jazzy at all:

User Info Menu

Ugly little things.

User Info Menu

I have a Crossroads model that I adore - I plug it into my Henriksen Bud, and string it with with Thomastik flats (JS-112s currently). It has a woody characteristic that reminds me of the Archtops that I have owned but in a much smaller footprint. As always YMMV, but the chunky neck feels perfect, and it quickly replaced my ES-165 as my go to guitar.

Mine is the non-cutaway model, and I would not hesitate to recommend one for jazz

User Info Menu

Thanks tfling -- Useful first-hand info from a satisfied owner. So good to hear it has a woody characteristic good for jazz tones!

User Info Menu

I'm sorry, but nothing in these guitars appeal to me.

User Info Menu

I’ve owned a Crossroads model for a little over a year. It’s a great instrument with outstanding feel, playability, flexibility and tone. It’s also light in weight.

A friend has the Lil Sister private build and we both agree there seems to be little perceivable difference between the two.

I have a cutaway version with the P-90 style pickups. I love the versatility they provide - from blues to jazz to rock. In fact I love these pickups!

Someone mentioned the woody tone of the instrument and I second that.

Others have mentioned concerns with the slotted headstock and problems stringing the instrument. I have not had any issues or experienced any inconvenience at all. I wonder if they are referring to the Crossroads specifically or instruments with slotted headstocks in general.

And, I find the fuss regarding the f-hole orientation amusing. Perhaps that is what the designers intended.

I am a big fan of this guitar and strongly recommend it.

Albert
    Last edited by AKA; 11-08-2019 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Correct typos

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AKA
    ...And, I find the fuss regarding the f-hole orientation amusing. Perhaps that is what the designers intended.
    Of course it's what the designers intended, along with the other design features being discussed. You voted with your wallet and bought one, and you like it. I voted with my wallet and will not buy one, as I do not like it.

User Info Menu

I didn’t realize the F-holes were backwards until your mentioned it... :-/

I think they look cool, and from videos sound good. That said, I think they fit a small niche—well-made guitars with a small size factor that are feedback resistant. Loar makes a similar guitar I think? But the quality of the B&G is better I’m sure.

They would seem to work well for the singer-songwriter, alt-rock-country crowd. Especially if fingerpicking. Hozier or Beck maybe. Joe Walsh plays one sometimes, and that’s a pretty good endorsement.

Probably overlaps with the crowd that would play an OM size flattop vs a dreadnought.

User Info Menu

PSA (for somebody, it is a PSA, of that I'm sure) : Used - B&G Little Sister Private Build - Cedar of Lebanon (2019) - New Arrivals