The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 124

User Info Menu

Does it have aux in? I can't see on in the pictures.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So I did some maths ...

i don't believe I'm gonna lose much weight by building a speaker
    So now I'm leaning towards one of these, a Vox BC108.

TC Electronic BAM200 Head for Jazz Guitar-vox-bc108-jpg

same sorta weight as the little Orange cab
    but deeper and with a port on the back
    also 2x jack inputs ....
    and put in a Beta 8 I already own ....

Should get as loud/clean as I'll need with a drummer
    (jazz not rock / fusion)
    and weigh in at about 10-11 lbs total , total cost approx £260 !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Does it have aux in? I can't see on in the pictures.
    no

User Info Menu

Try a TOOB...

I've been away for a week or so, and suddenly this thread has sprung into life! Thanks for all of the responses.

Pingu, as it happens I have the TC BH250 head built into a bass amp combo, and it is also a great little amp, a bit bigger and heavier. I really like the toneprint options for bass (my module has two tone print controls), but in my opinion they are extremely limited for guitar as they really are designed with bass in mind, you can only download a few bass orientated models for this amp.

I find that the gain on the BAM is good for getting the guitar driving the amp effectively, but it is not a guitar amp so it is not designed to overdrive, we are talking clean sounds here. I suspect as with many digital amps that 200 watts is rather optimistic, but as another post states you can safely run this using a speaker rated 16 or 8 ohms with a lower power rating particularly if you are careful not to run the amp flat out. I can't envisage a setting where I would do this as it is plenty loud enough for small gigs at well under half volume.

Someone else asked about the eq. I find this depends a lot on the speaker you are driving. I've tried it with my Celestion tf0818, which doesn't give an overpowering bass no matter what you do. With a Celestion V30 in an open back cabinet, the bass is more present but not overpowering and the eq gives a good sweep of tone. With my bass 12" Eminence speaker it is more bass heavy but the cabinet is a ported design meant to emphasis those frequencies.

What I still love is that this amp fits in the pocket of my shoulder bag with my iPad ready for a gig. I'd love to have used it more to report back, but I am on drums at present while our regular drummer is away over the other side of the pond!

User Info Menu

Hi all! Have been away for a week and glad to see so much buzz around the BAM. Those looking for small/light speaker cabinets might be interested in the coming TOOB 6.5 line. Six pre-production units of these "Baby TOOBs" were made in April-May and and they all flew from my hands before a photo session - to NY jazz guitarists and bassists. I'm expecting a video or two from the users shortly. The 6.5 BG (Bass&Guitar) version will feature an Eminence Alphalite 6A speaker (8 ohm, 100W). While some details have yet to be nailed down, the weight should stop at under 5 lbs. The 6.5 G (guitar) will sport a Jensen P6V AlNiCo speaker (familiar from Fender Champ; 20W, 4 or 8 ohm) for a sweet vintage tone. Weight: around 4 lbs. Nothing on these on the toob.fi website yet, something and early photos on the Toobspeakercabinet FB pages.

User Info Menu

Wow 5lbs for the 6.5 BG ,
    excellent work
    how much they gonna cost Gitt?

User Info Menu

The TOOB 6.5 G will be around USD 200, the BG USD 260, plus freight. All hand made, no chance to compete with China, although we're cheaper in the sense that no-one has taken a cent out of the business yet. I'm hoping to find a distributor or at least a hub point in the U.S., because shipping individually is costly. Pooling three to a box will drop the shipping per unit to about USD 35. This is how it's been done with NY jazz cats so far.
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 06-06-2019 at 03:32 PM.

I hope they're back in stock soon, they were always going to be popular at that price. It's a bit nerve-wracking putting out a piece of improvisation in front of such a talented audience! I've done a very quickly recorded demo of the amp and speaker set up I mention at the beginning of this thread so you can get some impression of the sound. It's recorded straight to Logic through a condensor mic with no post processing. You can find the video here:

User Info Menu

The BAM200 is great with my TOOBs. I have a bass and guitar cab from them. Running my guitar pedalboard through the BAM200 into my TOOB guitar cabinet is great. Obviously not the same as going through my Mesa amps, but still pretty awesome. Obviously the BAM200 + a bass cabinet with a bass is awesome!

@Gitterbug

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu

ok so here's my new baby Bam
    with a JBL control 1 speaker

sounds good (on a home test only so far)
    its all there
    it will deffo be fine for rehearsals and small gigs etc

we’ll see how it goes with a band tho
    probably need a ballsier speaker to hang with a drummer ....

So far so good , I'm VERY pleased
    update ... Update

i took the above setup to a quietish rehearsal yesterday
    and blew up the JBL speaker
    it just farts a lot now .....

oh dear ...... oh well we live and learn
    don't try this at home kids ....

so im going to go with an Eminance Beta 8
    in a small ported (peavey 6505 probably) cab

User Info Menu

Har !

I've just ordered the Peavey 1x8" cab ....
    gonna load it with a Beta8
    I'm 'stoked' as I believe our American friends might say
    hope I don't blow it up too !

User Info Menu

well the cab arrived ....
    I had to chisel a tiny bit of wood away
    to get the Beta8a to fit
    It seems to be well constructed .....

I've tried it out at home and it sounds good
    very warm indeed !

I'll take it to a rehearsal this week so we'll see
    how the balance is there ....

If there's too much woof I'll maybe block up
    the hole/port on the back of the cab
    making it infinite baffle ....

200 watt Amp + 1x8" Cab = approx 12lbs .....
    Last edited by pingu; 07-18-2019 at 08:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Well I tried it out at a rehearsal and it sounded really good ...

Also while I was at there ....
    I tried the Bam200 with another very small speaker I had lying around
    an Ariston 4080 8 ohms .... says 250watts on the back
    moulded plastic case , pretty light and robust built very
    similar to a JBL control1

TC Electronic BAM200 Head for Jazz Guitar-ariston-4080-jpg

i figured after my experience with blowing up the JBL
    That it would probably blow ,
    and I would end up putting in an Eminance Alpha5 8

ALPHA 5-8 - Loudspeakers | Eminence Speaker

the dimensions are about right

But anyway it worked and sounded great and didn't blow up !!
    it had plenty of bottom end and warmth

Amp + 1x5" cab ........ 6lbs 12oz

my fiendish plan worked out !
    I'm a bit obsessed with low weight
    Im well pleased

User Info Menu

It does seem like an excellent choice if you double on bass eh? I play a bit of bass sometimes, but never had an amp, always plug in direct or at the clubs amp. Now if you could find a speaker+cab that would sound good for bass and guitar too! I've had good luck playing guitar through bass amps at rehearsals.

User Info Menu

I don't play any bass ...
    but like yourself ive had good experiences playing
    my guitar clean through various bass amps ....

so I believe that it's perfectly possible to use the same
    amp for guitar and bass
    For example
    ive noticed that PJB
    Products – Bass Combo Amps | Phil Jones Bass
    and a other manufacturers use multiple small (5" in pjb's case)
    speakers for their bass combos and enclosures

they seem to use a minimum of 2x5" speakers up to
    huge multiples of these drivers for increased leval and power

but getting their bass sound from a small driver ....
    (i believe the damping factor is higher with smaller drivers
    which controls the end of the note better )

my small high power 1x5 cab
    certainly has plenty of bottom end
    which was a pleasant surprise

User Info Menu

ALPHA 5-8 - Loudspeakers | Eminence Speaker

update if anyone's bothered

Ive just come back from a reh with
    drums bass keys guitar Sax
    doubling some lines with the Sax , chords
    a couple of solos etc
    and the bam200 + a single 5" shoe box sized speaker
    it worked out absolutely fine .....

(the above Alpha5 is similar to what I'm using similar spec etc
    just in case anyone wants to build a decent sounding super light
    super cheap rig for rehearsals and duo gigs etc)

dont hold me to any aesthetic benchmarks
    im not saying it sounds like a polytone , bud , mambo , whatever
    but it sounds clean , no breakup , at sufficient volume
    just flat hi fi sounding , you can hear everything
    hi , lo , middle etc all frequencies there and even

and it weighs 7lbs !!!

Sorry had to share that
    maybe it's just me that's excited about it ...!

User Info Menu

Would love to a/b/c your tiny speaker with GK MB200 or Quilter Mini heads.

User Info Menu

Re Bam200 + Beta 8a in the Peavey 8" Cab

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    If there's too much woof I'll maybe block up
    the hole/port on the back of the cab
    making it infinite baffle ....
    200 watt Amp + 1x8" Cab = approx 12lbs .....
    update ......

I've just done a gig with the above setup ....
    It sounded good , nice balance, not too much woof going on
    However it's no better than the AER comp 60 I normally use
    the comp60 it a bit more convenient on gigs being a combo
    (and only a tiny bit heavier)
    I'll probably keep using it for gigs with drums
    -----------------
    I'm still loving the BAM200 with the 5" speaker tho
    as a small/light rig it's fab gear

User Info Menu

I reluctantly sing praise to a product with such a limited availability. Don't know the situation in the U.S., but in Europe I believe it's Thomann and a few other major traders only. Anyway, our sample arrived from the Big T a couple of days ago and has been lightly tested on both guitar and bass. Compared to G+K MB 200, the bass end is lighter, and maybe the stated 200W output is a bit optimistic. So for bass, my favorite remains the MB 200, which has a 4-band EQ and the contour switch. However, the BAM is perfectly adequate for the role, too. For guitar, the preference swings in favor of the BAM, which is warmer and less sterile. Haven't tried it with a reverb box yet, but believe that only a tad is needed. Overall, a very positive impression so far. The real test will come when the gigging season picks up after the summer lull.

The photo shows the BAM200 together with an advanced TOOB 6.5 GP (Guitar Ported) prototype. Ain't they sweet? While the BAM constitutes an obvious risk for a max. 20W Jensen, the max. 100W Eminence Alphalite 6A seems to take it well and produce nice jazz tones. At under 7 lbs., an utterly compact and portable rig fit for public transit and club gigs.

TC Electronic BAM200 Head for Jazz Guitar-toob-baby-bam-jpg

Disclaimer: The OP develops, makes and sells the TOOB line of ultra-light cabinets for guitar, bass and other musical instruments. A definitely non-profit activity...
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 08-14-2019 at 04:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Sounds like you've nailed it Gitterbug !

I'm running my BAM200 through
    an eminance beta8 in a conventional wood cab (plenty loud but too heavy)
    and a 5" Ariston injection moulded pa cab
    (Sounds good but not quite loud enough for gigs with a drummer .... damn)

I think the Alphalite 6a might just be the Goldilocks zone

7lbs .... well done , we're free !
    a guitarist could travel anywhere easily on public transport
    with that rig .... Yes !

I predict you'll sell a lot of these 6.5GP Toobs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    For guitar, the preference swings in favor of the BAM, which is warmer and less sterile. Haven't tried it with a reverb box yet, but believe that only a tad is needed. Overall, a very positive impression so far. The real test will come when the gigging season picks up after the summer lull.

The photo shows the BAM200 together with an advanced TOOB 6.5 GP (Guitar Ported) prototype. Ain't they sweet?.
    sure are !

also it's good to have your initial affirmation of the BAM
    as you have way more experience than me
    with the many different lightweight amps around now

User Info Menu

I gave in and ordered a BAM; it's such a good price it's hard to resist. Wasn't expecting too much, but so far I agree, it sounds very good with not too much tweaking needed. I've compared it to GSS 100w head ( which I really like) and this sounds about the same, quite 'warm' ( that word again..). One has to wonder how thay can be so cheap and work so well. But, they seem to get warm quite quickly; there might even be a little fan lurking in that tiny casing.

About cab portability - I'm trying it through a GSS 10" cabinet, very compact and light @ 15lb and 12' x 12' x 11". Even I can carry that on a short trip. And it has croc skin covering..just like old Selmer amps. Speaker is a 100 db Ragin' cajun, a seriously loud guitar speaker, but very good with some treble cut, similar to a beta 10.

For anyone interested, I was sent a Barefaced guitar cab to try, fitted with their 200w bass speaker. This is a very interesting cabinet; it does what it says on the tin and really fills the room, with massive bass and very loud. I think in this config. it works really well for almost any style except jazz - the bass is so massive it overpowers the mids, and so the cab lacks punch and presence. They are sending some other speakers to try in it. Maybe the original guitar speakers will work better, we'll see. But it certainly fills a room, if that's what you want, Very light, too

Anyway, some progress towards that eventual goal of fab sound out of a 10lb set up...

User Info Menu

To Franz: With a standard 12" TOOB 12J and BAM, you'd be just 8 oz above the goal. A 10J with a cloth or rattan grill instead of metal will bring you right to the target. And, with a TOOB 6.5, loaded with a classy 100-130W speaker from Eminence or SICA/Jensen, you'll be at 6 lbs, the amp still included. The 6.5 line will be available in October, as soon as a subcontractor is up to speed with mass-produced 3D printed components. We are working on UK distribution but everybody seems paralyzed with Brexit. Direct sale is always an option (several units in UK already).

Cheers, Markku

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    The 6.5 line will be available in October, as soon as a subcontractor is up to speed with mass-produced 3D printed components.
    We are working on UK distribution but everybody seems paralyzed with Brexit.
    Cheers, Markku
    The TOOB products are definitely very innovative and interesting. And expensive!. The 6.5 unit is a good solution - it seems to have worked for the Bud/ Blu- but I'd want to know there would be enough volume with an inefficient 93 Db speaker in an unusual cabinet, and (eg) a BAM. But, I like the quirkiness/ innovation of the whole idea. Presumably the 12' units are aimed at other than jazzers..

Brexit..you have no idea. I'll say no more.