Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 87
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Lately, I've been deeply exploring my guitars. And I am finally identifying the differences between all of them. This Gibson is really something else. I can best describe by saying it is an ultra professional grade instrument. Nothing I've ever played stands up to anything can throw at it better than this Guitar.
    The Tal Farlow is close. The 18" Heritage JS took its sound up a notch. But this guitar always makes you feel in control. The most solid guitar I've played. Ever since I put the medium Jumbo frets on it, It has that "auto-pilot" mode that just kicks in when you are grooving on it.
    When I play a guitar like this, it re-affirms the reasons I love Gibson Guitars. Its not just a guitar. It is a masterful creation that came together from years of experience gathered from Johnny Smith, John D'Angelico, Lloyd Loar and Ted McCarty.
    Gibson.. When they did it right, they really did it right..

    Thanks Guys. I hope you like my video.


    Joe DeNisco

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Joe:
    Beautiful guitar and great playing!
    Keith

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    You're the best, Joe. I sense your love and respect for the guitar, not fanboyism that is total blind faith.

    Your playing moves me. Keep well, sir.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Great ! Of all the things you posted I still like the Johnny Smith the best

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Hi Joe,

    Loved your solo playing - very nice indeed!

    I couldn't agree with you more about those Gibson Johnny Smith models. I own a 1977 Johnny Smith and like yours it just has that gorgeous sound.

    Whether I'm playing it plugged in or unplugged it just has that gorgeous sound that is so unique to Johnny Smith models.

    I've played some Gibson Kalamazoo Award models and didn't like any of them as much as my Johnny Smith.

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    What a difference a good fret job makes. Glorious tone for sure. Gibson archtops rule !

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    A tricky little number there, Joe. Sounds great, of course, as it always does, as you always do. Keep it up, Joe!

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Cascades of beautiful notes. Gorgeous sound and great chops !

    Congrats Joe.

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Thanks for sharing this Joe. What a wonderful sound and great playing. You are clearly in your happy place there

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Wow Joe, when you're in love with something it just turns your playing loose. Love and treasure all your guitars. Man You Are BLESSED !!!

    Big

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Damn ! That's 'the sound' and you've nailed it !


    Thanks as always Joe !

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Joe,
    Great playing and fantastic tone ! There is a certain presence and purity of tone in a GJS that is without compare, and you have the nicest one I have ever come across.

    For your style of playing , and your love of Johnny Smith - I can’t imagine you ever being without that guitar - you’ve made it your own for sure.

    Glad your still enjoying it !

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    Joe:
    Beautiful guitar and great playing!
    Keith
    Keith, that means a lot coming from you buddy. Thank you!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    You're the best, Joe. I sense your love and respect for the guitar, not fanboyism that is total blind faith.
    Your playing moves me. Keep well, sir.
    No Jabbs, you are the best, not me. One of the pillars of the forum. I am glad you are always with us and thanks for your nice words.

    Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    Great ! Of all the things you posted I still like the Johnny Smith the best
    Fws6, thank you sir.
    You cant go wrong with a GJS!!

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Herron
    Hi Joe,
    Loved your solo playing - very nice indeed!
    I couldn't agree with you more about those Gibson Johnny Smith models. I own a 1977 Johnny Smith and like yours it just has that gorgeous sound.

    Whether I'm playing it plugged in or unplugged it just has that gorgeous sound that is so unique to Johnny Smith models.

    I've played some Gibson Kalamazoo Award models and didn't like any of them as much as my Johnny Smith.

    Regards,
    Steven Herron
    Learn To Play Chord Melody Guitar
    Wow, the real Steven Herron! Nice. I appreciate the service you provide to the Jazz guitar playing community.
    Thanks for stopping by and commenting in my post!
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    What a difference a good fret job makes. Glorious tone for sure. Gibson archtops rule !
    bro, what can I say.. I wasn’t putting new frets on this guitar if it wasn’t for you. After seeing Gibson using the Evo golds on some of your brand new Gibson guitars, I knew it was cool. I’m glad I made the guitar. I could have left it stock, but what’s the sense if it didn’t play right. Thanks bro. For everything.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    A tricky little number there, Joe. Sounds great, of course, as it always does, as you always do. Keep it up, Joe!
    Rob.. I was trying to do one in black and white, but my computer kept telling me I wasn’t cool enough and I’d never pull it off.. thanks my man. Joe D

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    Cascades of beautiful notes. Gorgeous sound and great chops !
    Congrats Joe.
    Fred, thank you my good man. Sheets of Sound just like Coltrane.. thank you sir.

    Quote Originally Posted by cgratham
    Thanks for sharing this Joe. What a wonderful sound and great playing. You are clearly in your happy place there
    Chris! I thought we lost you forever! How did the shed come out? And I hope the beautiful guitar in you avatar still makes you smile each and every day. I miss mine. I really do.
    thank you Chris. JD

    Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    Wow Joe, when you're in love with something it just turns your playing loose. Love and treasure all your guitars. Man You Are BLESSED !!!
    Big
    Mikey.. I am blessed. With great guitars, the patience to play them ok and to have friends like you.
    Thank you my good man.
    Joe D

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Great job as usual Joe, I’ve only just
    seen the vid , congrats my friend,
    when you get compliments from Fred
    Archtop, & QA man you’re doing well.

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    Damn ! That's 'the sound' and you've nailed it
    Thanks as always Joe !
    Thank you Dennis. The sound of the Johnny Smith guitar is a glorious sound indeed.
    You are welcome my friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Joe,
    Great playing and fantastic tone ! There is a certain presence and purity of tone in a GJS that is without compare, and you have the nicest one I have ever come across.
    For your style of playing , and your love of Johnny Smith - I can’t imagine you ever being without that guitar - you’ve made it your own for sure.
    Glad your still enjoying it !
    Steve, what can I say.. if it wasn’t for you, I would not have this guitar.
    The original owner really kept this guitar in fine condition. Like Ian said, when he refretted it, “when you first brought it in, I thought it was a modern guitar!”
    im glad my house deal fell through. I would have missed this guitar. Losing it would have left a mark.
    The new pickguard, new frets and polishing the verdigris off the pickup made this guitar nearly perfect. A future trip to Chris Mirabella will make this a 42 year old time capsule!
    thanks for making it happen Steve!
    Joe D

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    I mean, no kidding. I ( accidentally ) did the ' eyes closed ' test , and Joe that sound is right off those JS LP's we grew up with !

    What a kick !
    Last edited by Dennis D; 02-25-2018 at 05:19 PM.

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    I kept thinkin', ' Oh no, is he gonna try and do those double stops at the end?'

    I still don't know how he pulled that off at that tempo!

    Beautiful sound and playing, JD.

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    JD,

    You are lucky to have a guitar you have bonded so well with. If you keep posting these videos (and please do!), I may develop a case of GAS for a Gibson Johnny Smith.

    One can be saddled with a worse affliction, I suppose.

    Thanks for sharing!

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    nice..tone has some of that classic gibson grit when you really dig in

    wasn't expecting that drum track

    fast tempo well handled..some tricky passages

    another good one Joe D!! bravo pal

    beloved gibson will always live on as long as ones in your hands!

    cheers

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    Great playing Joe. Many thanks for the music.

  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Great job as usual Joe, I’ve only just
    seen the vid , congrats my friend,
    when you get compliments from Fred
    Archtop, & QA man you’re doing well.
    Foxman,
    thank you dear kind sir. I actually long for the day that my wife compliments my playing.. All she said to me today was “oh boy I’m glad you are done with that song. Not my favorite version of it.. “
    thanks Alan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    I mean, no kidding. I ( accidentally ) did the ' eyes closed ' test , and Joe that sound is right off those JS LP's we grew up with !
    What a kick !
    Thank you Dennis. I wish I could be mistaken for Johnny. What a beautiful player he was. Brilliant!

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I kept thinkin', ' Oh no, is he gonna try and do those double stops at the end?'
    I still don't know how he pulled that off at that tempo!
    Beautiful sound and playing, JD.
    It’s funny, I tried and tried and tried and I couldn’t get it. I am almost convinced he threw a 2nd guitar in there, ala Lulaby of Birdland.. There is no way the was one man playing one guitar.
    Thank you buddy. I appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    JD,
    You are lucky to have a guitar you have bonded so well with. If you keep posting these videos (and please do!), I may develop a case of GAS for a Gibson Johnny Smith.
    One can be saddled with a worse affliction, I suppose.
    Thanks for sharing!
    SS, you should try out a Norlin.. they have those nice volutes you like so much.. they come in handy when you are hanging the guitar on the Stringswinger... the neck sits perfectly between your thumb and 1st finger!
    thanks buddy.

  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    nice..tone has some of that classic gibson grit when you really dig in
    wasn't expecting that drum track
    fast tempo well handled..some tricky passages
    another good one Joe D!! bravo pal
    beloved gibson will always live on as long as ones in your hands!
    cheers
    Neatomic, thanks my pal. My drummer was in the floor. I woke him up after the intro and he went crazy for 2 minutes.. thank you very much buddy.

    Quote Originally Posted by ptchristopher3
    Great playing Joe. Many thanks for the music.
    Hey Thanks Chris. The pleasure was all mine.
    JD