The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

Anyone own an Ibanez George Benson model archtop? What is your impression of the various models?

I have a Godin LGX -SA (synth access) electric solid body guitar that cost around $1600 originally several years ago. Thinking of trading it in and also selling my Roland GR-20 towards buying an archtop. But I can't afford to put more money in to the purchase. What do you think of the lower priced GB or the LGB guitars?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Targuit,
    I had a GB-10 for a while. One of the more solidly built guitars I ever had.
    For strings, It likes 13's. Its an amazing guitar if you ask me. The neck is not as full as Gibson necks.
    The tuners are the best tuners I've ever used, bar none.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

I've been trying to figure this out myself. I think the consensus is that you can't go wrong with a GB-10 but you might want to stay away from the Korean made versions (GB-10 SE). It wasn't made for long but it goes for $1000 USD less that a "true" GB-10 so that's a dead giveaway.

I'm less helpful when it comes to comparing the other models. I know that some models are thicker/thinner than others and might have lesser quality components, etc.

User Info Menu

The GB-20 is pretty great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    Anyone own an Ibanez George Benson model archtop? What is your impression of the various models?

I have a Godin LGX -SA (synth access) electric solid body guitar that cost around $1600 originally several years ago. Thinking of trading it in and also selling my Roland GR-20 towards buying an archtop. But I can't afford to put more money in to the purchase. What do you think of the lower priced GB or the LGB guitars?

This is a Chinese made LGB30 guitar through a Mexican 68 Princeton Reverb Reissue.
    We all want to hear a certain sound so .....do you like this sound?
    Only my opinion but to my ears this is one of the nicest old school tones I've ever heard from any jazz guitar.
    Mixed after the fact though....

User Info Menu

Yeah those LGB30 are great , tried on acoustic only in a shop
    really nice neck ,

Jess Lewis plays great too !

User Info Menu

Stop the press !! Before you buy this model, if you are hoping for it to have louder unamped sound, please check out an Ibanez Artstar AF151F .. I have one about 5 weeks now and it's really beautiful !! Bound F-holes and ebony fingerboard, strong tail piece, beautiful 'violin' finish. The F means 1 floating pickup attached to the side of the fingerboard. This allows top to vibrate freely,as nothing is touching the top. They go for about $900. I got my for $700 'open box'. It Was still virgin anyway, along with really nice case. It's larger than the Benson if that is your cup of tea. Check Guitar Center, there's one available. Mine was free shipping, to boot.
    Last edited by MarkInLA; 02-05-2016 at 12:18 AM.

User Info Menu

I've had a GB10 since 1986. A fine instrument and one I can recommend without reservation. It sounds way bigger than it is and is one of the best playing guitars I have ever touched. There is a reason Ibanez has been making these for darn near 40 years.

User Info Menu

It seems like a nice compromise with the dual pickups. I want a smaller body for comfort. And nice jazz tone.

User Info Menu

if you want a small body, have you thought about thinline tele? they can get a good sound

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    It seems like a nice compromise with the dual pickups. I want a smaller body for comfort. And nice jazz tone.
    If size matters, you have to take care: the budget LGB30 models are larger than the other Benson models (at least compared to these I have seen). I played the LGB30 in a German GC and was surprised to find it much bigger than expected. Obviously the body width of most GB models is 14.5'', while LGB30 is 15.75'' wide--that is 1.25'' more (for me: 31,75 mm)! So the LGB30 body might drop from the same production line as AKJ95. If you prefer the 14.5" wide body, you would rather look for AG75 or AG95...

Robert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nick1994
    if you want a small body, have you thought about thinline tele? they can get a good sound
    This is a thread about GB Ibanez.

When will you Tele guys stop ramming Teles down our throats?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven

When will you Tele guys stop ramming Teles down our throats?

When everyone is playing a Tele...seriously I was in a similar position. I went from semi hollows cause I wanted something smaller and lighter and I tried some single cutaway semis, 339s but the Tele was what won me. If a comfortable guitar is what he wants he should try a thin line.
    Last edited by nick1994; 02-05-2016 at 06:02 AM.

User Info Menu

About a month ago I stopped at Goat Peak Strings in Easthampton, MA and they had an older used GB10. I did not weigh it. I was rather surprised at how heavy it seemed. Most of my guitars are weigh about 6 to 7 lbs. The tailpiece alone looked massive to me when I saw it up close.

Somewhere I keep thinking there's got to be a good story behind that tailpiece.

User Info Menu

On a similar note, a lot of GB10 players complain about the alignment of the bridge pu and the guard. Has anyone tried just removing the rear pu?

User Info Menu

Never owned an Ibanez guitar (not yet at least), however, every time I hear one - GB 10 and the LGB 30 w/Super 58s I am extremely impressed with the great jazz tone. I'm very surprised that I don't see more players with the LGB 30, $1,000 plays great, it sounds great -may be if it didn't look like it was made out of plastic it would be more appealing(?).

Now what about the PM2AA???

User Info Menu

I bought a new GB20 in 1980 and it was a fantastic JS type guitar. Really was sorry I sold it but at the time I got on this stupid USA only kick. I have made a lot of dumb mistakes in my life.

User Info Menu

"Now what about the PM2AA???"

Just a Great Guitar! !!!

(- a little on the yellow side in coloration), but the neck is fantastic and I would say it has a sound closer to the Sadowsky Jim Hall Model then others I've heard IMO.....

I own both as well as the Epi premier 175 and Peerless Monarch 16 w/set and this one PM2 resembles the JH sound.
    Last edited by jazzimprov; 02-05-2016 at 04:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Joni Mitchell played a GB10 for a while. I love Joni too..
    But its rare that you see a famous person playing other famous peoples signature model. But after all, we are talkin about George here so..

The GB10 is a great guitar.

User Info Menu

I do like it, very nice by any objective standard. The player has nice touch too, if not perfect execution. I think touch is a BIG factor in achieving good tone, far more so than the tools..

Quote Originally Posted by Philco
    This is a Chinese made LGB30 guitar through a Mexican 68 Princeton Reverb Reissue.
    We all want to hear a certain sound so .....do you like this sound?
    Only my opinion but to my ears this is one of the nicest old school tones I've ever heard from any jazz guitar.
    Mixed after the fact though....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nick1994
    Dang, that is some tasty playing...may need to copy that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    Joni Mitchell played a GB10 for a while.
    Yup.

User Info Menu

Jesus. Absolutely stupid band. They're so good they should be ashamed of themselves, they should've each been issued citations for being that good.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Yup.

User Info Menu

I hope George has another good 10 years left in him. He is 73. I respect George as a man. He is a God fearing loyal family man. I can't believe he still plays standing. He needs to get himself a chair like BB King did. Long may you play George ! Joe D had the honor to talk to him on the phone. George deserves all the cash he is making. Keep buying those GB10's & Fender GB's for good old George.

User Info Menu

I last saw George in concert 2 maybe 3 years ago, hadn't missed a beat - figuratively and literally. I hope to have the opportunity to see him soon again.

Now back to those GB guitars . . .