The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

My son downloaded specs for an electric violin and printed it at school. It has three pieces with a truss rod running through them, held together with nuts, bolts and glue. We still need to buy a few components, so we haven't strung it up yet, but it looks like a serviceable instrument.

Has anyone else printed an instrument?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I can't recall them even having that capability on the Jetsons. 'Tis a brand new day.

User Info Menu

Not my personnal experience but I've heard of this :

Next question will be : can you print ebony bridges that sound better

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    Next question will be : can you print ebony bridges that sound better
    Let's let that sleeping dog lie, shall we? ;o)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Let's let that sleeping dog lie, shall we? ;o)
    I guess the same goes for laminated vs carved vs printed top ?

User Info Menu

You know Maccaferri made plastics guitars back in the day -- Guitar by Maccaferri, New York, ca. 1953-1964

Not exactly a success

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D.G.
    You know Maccaferri made plastics guitars back in the day -- Guitar by Maccaferri, New York, ca. 1953-1964

Not exactly a success
    well they had one fan at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...9EX7YpFk#t=762

User Info Menu

I believe I heard that Bird often played a plastic horn...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasaco
    I believe I heard that Bird often played a plastic horn...
    You mean, "plastic" in the sense that a little bending robot placed next to the mic would allow him to turn, say, a printed clarinet into a sax between titles on stage?

User Info Menu

Not that plastic. The other plastic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasaco
    Not that plastic. The other plastic.
    Sorry, I thought you were joking.

Didn't Tal Farlow design/own/play a red plastic mini-guitar at some point?

(Might be a rewarding project for 3D printing).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by palindrome
    Sorry, I thought you were joking.
    Nope not joking. Here's from Wikipedia: Jazz at Massey Hall[edit]

In 1953, Parker performed at Massey Hall in Toronto, Canada, joined by Gillespie, Mingus, Bud Powell and Max Roach. Unfortunately, the concert clashed with a televised heavyweight boxing match between Rocky Marciano and Jersey Joe Walcott, so it was poorly attended. Mingus recorded the concert, resulting in the album Jazz at Massey Hall. At this concert, Parker played a plastic Grafton saxophone.[citation needed] At this point in his career he was experimenting with new sounds and materials. Parker himself explained the purpose of the plastic saxophone in a May 9, 1953 broadcast from Birdland and did so again in a subsequent May 1953 broadcast.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by palindrome
    Didn't Tal Farlow design/own/play a red plastic mini-guitar at some point?
    It was a "gimmick" wood (not plastic) guitar made for him by Gibson for use on a TV show. The TV people insisted on it and Tad accepted it provided they paid the costs which they did. So he contacted Gibson who put it together for him within the deadline for the show. I read a much later interview with Tad and understood, it never became a favorite or a go-to guitar of his though he kept it for a while after that TV show.

As for Birds Grafton plastic alto, it has survived to this day. His widow Chan kept it for many years but it was up for sale at an auction in UK in 1994. They had British jazz player Peter King play it to show that it was still functional:

Last edited by oldane; 10-12-2014 at 08:08 AM.

User Info Menu

Let's get back to this violin. We need pictures of those parts.

User Info Menu

Are those 3D printers cool, or what?

Couldn't resist posting a few photos of my Maccaferri... A couple of decades ago, my friend at Mandolin Central came across a small warehouse full of these. It was basically a brand new 50 yr. old guitar, "Made of Dow Styron, a highly resonant plastic material, having great strength and beauty", in the original plastic wrapper, and included the original booklet and strap. Who could resist? I kept this guitar on my sailboat for a dozen years - got some great reactions when I brought it out for a jam session in some anchorage or dock, especially when I could actually play the darn thing...

3D Printed Instruments-p1040516-768x1024-jpg3D Printed Instruments-p1040518-768x1024-jpg3D Printed Instruments-p1040522-768x1024-jpg

Don

User Info Menu

Well even thogh not plastic, I played a Graphite or Carbon Fiber Rain Song cutaway acoustic last week and was very impressed w/ both tone and playability! I could definitely be happy w/it factoring in no upkeep and durability factors. And I have both a Martin OM 21Special, and a late 1940's Gibson J-45 as reference points.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Well even thogh not plastic, I played a Graphite or Carbon Fiber Rain Song cutaway acoustic last week and was very impressed w/ both tone and playability! I could definitely be happy w/it factoring in no upkeep and durability factors. And I have both a Martin OM 21Special, and a late 1940's Gibson J-45 as reference points.
    I have Composite Acoustic guitar and it EASILY kicks the bottom parts of any guitar in the same price range.

User Info Menu

well i guess one of the simplest designs is a tele ...and i can't see any reason a tele can't be printed with a trussrod in the neck tho ....

User Info Menu

Perhaps you could check this out:

I recommend you check the guitar at 2:00

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kenbennett
    Let's get back to this violin. We need pictures of those parts.
    Here is the one he printed.
    F-F-Fiddle | OpenFab PDX

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    "Playing a Luis and Clark carbon fiber cello, Rumanian cellist Mihai Marica won the 33rd International Music Competition in Viña del Mar in Chile, regarded as one of the most prestigious music competitions in the world. Marica, a protégée of Aldo Parisot, competed against cellists from a dozen different countries to win this celebrated prize."
    http://www.luisandclark.com/mihai-ma...c-competition/

Apparently carbon fiber instruments have come a long way. Having an instrument that is consistent regardless of climate is a big plus for touring. I am guessing they are pretty sturdy too.

I also saw a great accordion player in a klezmer band playing an accordion that was actually a Korg synthesizer. It sounded great. He said his high-end, traditional Italian instrument wouldn't stay in tune on the road.

It is funny, though, how classical musicians can be about new technology. They have geared replacement pegs for violins now that are so obviously superior to wooden pegs, but they have been slow to take off.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JBGM
    Perhaps you could check this out:

I recommend you check the guitar at 2:00
    Looks like a mangled pinky waiting to happen.