The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Another post on D'A replicas mentioned Art Valdez and his excellent D'A replicas. It brought back a flood of memories, as I was a customer of Art's for many years. I remember clearly when he got the commission to build the D'A's, he had the plans up near his workbench in the back of the shop. My guess is that there are more than a few on this forum that know Art. I had a Epi Triumph that he turned into a Regent (did a cutaway) and installed two humbuckers on. This was back when you couldn't give old non-cut Epi's away. He painted it black and turned it into a hot rod. I can't even remember what happened to that guitar. In the early 80's I had him build me a 18" flat top 12 string that followed me around for years. Art was really a nylon guitar builder and his steel string guitars suffered from some bracing issues. I swapped that guitar to a rancher pal of mine who left it in his truck on a hot day-the top cracked. The photo is Art signing the 12 string after repairs. This was during the time he was selling out the Sunset Bl shop and moving closer to his daughter in AZ. Does anyone have current contact info on Art?
    BTW there is one of his D'A replicas gathering dust in a display case in Bakersfield at Front Porch Music. I asked Artie the owner if he would consider selling and he just laughed. Art also made some D'A replicas during that time with his name on the headstock. That would be a rare bird indeed!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sierra, There's one of his still for sale on Gbase. It would be great if you could grab a photo of that replica for the forum. Get yourself a copy of " D'Angelico Master guitar builder,what's in a name?" by Frank W/M Green. Centerstream publishing. Mr. Valdez is mentioned and some photos of his guitars. Mr. Green may have a line on his where abouts .If you find him grab a photo of him for the forum also. Good Luck.

Thanks for the heads up on the Art Valdez D'A rep on gbase. Asking price of $8500 is I guess fair if I was in the market. I know Art put many hours into the D'A replicas he built, I never did ask him the total number he completed.
    Next time I'm in Bakersfield I'll try to get some shots of the one at Front Porch. You would think the owner would have it front and center, however it's almost impossible to find unless you know where to look. It's in a plexi display case way in the back by the repair shop, and is often blocked by empty cases and other junk. I get the impression Artie the owner of the store is much more involved with his vintage Mosrites and Hallmarks that line the store walls-I think he worked for Mosrite when he was a kid.
    My understanding after my last visit with Art was that he was moving to Black Rock Canyon in AZ where his daughter lived. He seemed tired of all the hassle it took for someone 80 years old to run a guitar shop on Sunset Bl. in Hollywood.
    I'm kind of surprised not too many replies on this thread about Art. His shop was a fixture for so long on "Guitar Row" in Hollywood there on Sunset and Gardner. I guess most here passed by as he was primarily know for classical nylon string guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archtop Guy
    Sierra, There's one of his still for sale on Gbase. It would be great if you could grab a photo of that replica for the forum. Get yourself a copy of " D'Angelico Master guitar builder,what's in a name?" by Frank W/M Green. Centerstream publishing. Mr. Valdez is mentioned and some photos of his guitars. Mr. Green may have a line on his where abouts .If you find him grab a photo of him for the forum also. Good Luck.
    So you're selling a rare D'A made by a respected builder, and that's the best you can do to present it? Ohhhhh K! The photo isn't worth posting here...nothing to see.

1991 D'Angelico By Valdez New Yorker *Replica* Natural Blonde > Guitars : Archtop Electric & Acoustic - Vintagemaster | Gbase.com

Was kind of surprised by that also! I wonder how long it's been in Switzerland..the dealer has some kind of Guild inventory, though. Which is somewhat ironic as Art Valdez was a "authorized" Guild repair shop.

User Info Menu

2Bop, Neither Sierra or I are selling the Valdez. He was looking for info on contacting Valdez. But if you're interested in a DA by a respected luthier I do have one we might be able to talk about....

User Info Menu

"the dealer has some kind of Guild inventory"

tNow thats an understatement - that dealer is the last remainder of the Dino Olar collection. Olar imported Guild into Europe and had the largest collection of Guilds anywhere. Like half of the pictures in the Guild Guitar book are from his collection (which is a beautiful book BTW)

Like several other high end dealers of the time he bought one of the first run of those new luthier made DA's. Little would they know that 20 years later there have been half a dozen "official" luthier ghost built DA's so these didnt really appreciate in value at all.

The pictures are poor indeed , but the price is very fair for what it is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    So you're selling a rare D'A made by a respected builder, and that's the best you can do to present it? Ohhhhh K! The photo isn't worth posting here...nothing to see.

1991 D'Angelico By Valdez New Yorker *Replica* Natural Blonde > Guitars : Archtop Electric & Acoustic - Vintagemaster | Gbase.com
    Greg: Your comments about the photos are definitely biased by your own fantastic skills as a photographer. Your pictures are really some of the best, non studio photos I've seen.

But, on a serious note . . . as a buyer and a collector . . I need nothing more than what I see in those photos to make a decision on that beauty! This of course is not withstanding a serious conversation with the seller regarding anything not shown in more detail. If the seller assured me that there is nothing to discuss ... no issues at all with the guitar . . and confirmed it in written form to meprior to the sale . . I'd have no problem giving him my AmEx number! It is being offered as "brand new".

As I said earlier, I believe that Arturo Valdez replicas are the best ever made. That particular guitar has my nose wide open!!!
    Last edited by Patrick2; 11-25-2012 at 10:19 PM.

Patrick, you don't have to go all the way across the pond to find a Art Valdez D'A-the one at Front Porch Music in Bakersfield, CA is doing nothing but gathering dust. Artie the owner is a really cool guy, he claims it's not for sale, but you know how that goes..it sure would be nice to see that axe getting some love, I feel so sorry for it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archtop Guy
    2Bop, Neither Sierra or I are selling the Valdez. He was looking for info on contacting Valdez. But if you're interested in a DA by a respected luthier I do have one we might be able to talk about....
    No brother, I wasn't suggesting you're selling anything. I was merely stating an archtop of that caliber deserves photographs worthy of it.

User Info Menu

Art Valdez-arts-custom-lady-lp-jpgArt Valdez-de-angelico-valdez-1a-jpgHi, this is an Art Valdez up to date response for a past question.

Art never left for Arz, he went back a few times to visit his sister but ended up staying here in Los Angeles. He's now rented the balance of his shop to Peavey which got GC across the street all kinds of pissed off.
    Art has his good days and bad days like the rest of us. He's living in a retirement home out in the valley right now, he did take his one guitar with him. I visit him every couple of months and bring him new strings. We've been friends for many decades. He sold me his prototype D/A. It's not quite as fancy as the others he finished off but It's still in new condition and I love it very much. I remember the vintage D/A he tore apart to figure out exactly how they were built after he got the contract--which is a great story for another time. He had the drawings but that was never good enough for Art, He needed to know exactly how everything was built.

I've got four of Arts guitars, The D/A, 1-1980s flaminco, a 1990s classical with a scalped neck and original fancy headstock that belonged to him-took me 2-years of begging for that one, and one of the last classical guitars he built. He left he had about a dozen unfinished classical guitars in various stages of readiness when he left. I think he only finished and sold two of them.
    The 1st one went to one of his other long time friends, I got the 2nd one. The best part of that deal was we each got to pick out what we wanted from his batch and he finished them up.

Art had so many wonderful guitars in his shop from that Valdez Les Paul copy with the monkeys, Palm Trees and naked lady carved in the body by a local homeless street person to the 1st guitar 1952 Ramires he bought, tore apart and used as a templet to start building his famed instruments. Art is a very unique and wonderful person, I miss hanging out in his shop till 2am, those were wonderful times.

I am so happy to hear that Art is still around! I really appreciate the update Bill B. You were indeed fortunate to obtain one of his D/A replicas. Art did a masterful job on them. When the photo I posted back in 2012 was taken, my spouse and I were picking up that 12 string that had a cracked top. The friend I sold it to, who is a rancher in the Central Valley, still has it and wanted Art to autograph it. It's still in the family so to speak and my rancher pal plays cowboy music on it around the campfire.
    While we were there, Art dug out one of the archtops he built with his name on it and let me play it. It was badly out of tune and the strings, which were bronze acoustic or some type, were long past the sell by date. I tuned it up, played a few standards on it. Art gave me big smile and told me it was nice to hear the instrument being played for what it was made for. A memorable moment.
    If you would be so kind to forward the name of the retirement community via PM I would really like to visit him on my next trip down South.
    PS I think Artie still has his Valdez DA in Bako.

Great to hear Art is still around! Does anyone know if it would be possible to visit Art at his retirement home community? I have a guitar labeled No.1, Arturo Valdez 803 Palm Avenue Los Angeles 1965-1969, and I think he would enjoy seeing and playing one of his original guitars. I live in the Orange County area, it would be great to if this is possible.

Art Valdez-arturovaldez01-jpg Art Valdez-arturovaldez02-jpg Art Valdez-arturovaldez03-jpg

User Info Menu

great thread!!

cheers

User Info Menu

When I first scanned the header I though this said "Art Vandelay."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ssfernandez80
    Great to hear Art is still around! Does anyone know if it would be possible to visit Art at his retirement home community? I have a guitar labeled No.1, Arturo Valdez 803 Palm Avenue Los Angeles 1965-1969, and I think he would enjoy seeing and playing one of his original guitars. I live in the Orange County area, it would be great to if this is possible.

Art Valdez-arturovaldez01-jpg Art Valdez-arturovaldez02-jpg Art Valdez-arturovaldez03-jpg
    Just WOW!

You're one lucky son-of-a-gun. How'd you come by numero uno? She's a beauty! Retirement homes in LA!? Wouldn't that be Palm Springs?

If anyone knows his contact information that would be great. I would really like to meet him in person and have him play this guitar. I believe he would really enjoy playing one of his original creations. Any leads would be appreciated! Private message me if you have any info - thanks!

It would seem that poster Bill B has the most info on Art and what retirement community he is in. Maybe a PM to him would be a good idea. I think I will do the same as I would REALLY like to keep in touch with him.
    I was at the Sunset GC last week and the South side of the street (across from GC) looks so empty without his sign up.

I've already sent a private message to Bill, but I haven't received any response yet. Just wanted to see if any body else has any leads.