The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I don't know if this is old news but I was browsing the Peerless site and saw that they will soon be offering 2 Martin Taylor models. A Virtuoso and a Maestro.

No pictures or details yet, only one picture of Martin holding a guitar which I guess was one of the models.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I had read this somewhere a few month ago. I know that I LOVE my Peerless Monarch with a routed set humbucker that I got from Lou at Guitarsnjazz . com. He is a great cat and almost exclusively deals with archtops.
    I would be interested to see what kind of guitar his signature model will be.

'Mike

User Info Menu

Looks like Martin Taylor can put his signature on more than one guitar. His 10+ year signature had been a Vanden. Hopefully the Peerless models will come in at less than the Vanden price of $10-12K.

User Info Menu

I would doubt Peerless will sell a guitar for anywhere near that amount. I could see it being their top of the line and maybe come in close to the $3k mark but can't imagine them selling a guitar for $10k.

'Mike

User Info Menu

I really liked/missed my Yamaha aex1500 (martin taylor model) with its mag/piezo combination. Hope that Peerless will offer that too.

Maybe I'll wait for the Carvin's Martin Taylor model
    Or the Dean's Martin Taylor model
    No...wait...the Danelectro's Martin Taylor mondel

From the Martin Taylor Guitar Academy forum (members only) comes the following reply form Martin Taylor himself (the underlining is done by me):

"I'm planning to go back to South Korea around November, we're trying to co-ordinate the launch around the same time. Once the guitars are in full production I will post information on my website and here on the MTGA.
    I'm very excited about the guitars, there will be two models, and both will be very affordably priced."

User Info Menu

Signature guitars always intrigue me to some degree. There are the models that are created from scratch by custom luthiers and then there are those that are commissioned to be built by larger operations who already have established lines of their own.

In the case of the custom models, the cost is usually very high and the artist typically can be seen performing with the custom instrument. In the latter case, the less expensive and more available Signatures usually show up in the hands of the artist along about the launch time and then are rarely seen again in the artist's hands.

One apparent exception is the Conti guitar (made by Peerless, if I recall correctly) which Conti seems to have in his hands pretty much all the time. Makes me wonder how often we will be seeing Martin Taylor playing his Peerless.

On that note, I also wonder how the signature models for Conti and (when they are released) Taylor differ from the current Peerless offerings.

There is currently no standard guitar production of Peerless having the same characteristics as the Conti guitar. I imagine the same will happen with the Martin Taylor signatures.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bborzell
    In the case of the custom models, the cost is usually very high and the artist typically can be seen performing with the custom instrument. In the latter case, the less expensive and more available Signatures usually show up in the hands of the artist along about the launch time and then are rarely seen again in the artist's hands.
    John Pisano is usually seen with his signature Eastman.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jmstritt
    John Pisano is usually seen with his signature Eastman.
    I didn't express my point very well in my prior post. I was thinking about artists who have custom signatures along with "production" signatures from a company like Eastman, Peerless, etc.

It will be interesting to see what Taylor has in his hands after the release of the Peerless. My money (were I a betting person), would be on the Vanden.

User Info Menu

I saw Taylor last month in Spain, and he was playing his Peerless signature. I know because the logo was a little bit different. If I recall correctly, it had a floating pickup, and it was probably a carved top because he also placed a microphone in front of the guitar. But I don't know how different will it be from the Imperial...

Again this comes from the MTGA forum. Martin reveales a little bit more from the coming Peerless guitars:

"The guitar I was playing is a prototype that Peerless Guitars made me in Korea. It's a small 15" body archtop. It's going into production in the next few weeks and they will be commercially available. That model is called the "Martin Taylor Virtuoso", it has a pressed spruce top, the other more expensive model is called the "Martin Taylor Maestro" it has a carved spruce top."

Just wait and see!

User Info Menu

I'm interested in Conti guitars as well. Where are they made. They seem to have all the right ingredients for a great instrument and I assume if I buy one I'll be able to smoke the fingerboard just like Robert himself!

Actually I bought a couple of GB 10's hoping for this same thing. Didn't work out as easily as I expected so Mr. Benson is safe....for now.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Conti guitars-all models are with tune-o matic bridge...?

User Info Menu

Well there is the answer! Thanks fo the photo. If this was from a guitar you own, how do you like it!

Always looking for the smoothest action.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by clem_gael
    I really liked/missed my Yamaha aex1500 (martin taylor model) with its mag/piezo combination. Hope that Peerless will offer that too.

Maybe I'll wait for the Carvin's Martin Taylor model
    Or the Dean's Martin Taylor model
    No...wait...the Danelectro's Martin Taylor mondel
    the martin taylor yamaha's were awesome

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by equ2me2
    Well there is the answer! Thanks fo the photo. If this was from a guitar you own, how do you like it!

Always looking for the smoothest action.
    No, not my cup of tea. I simply noticed the thread and recalled the Conti that sold on feebay a week earlier and snipped the photo for the thread. That Conti sold for $700 and only had 1 person bid on the guitar. Several Peerless Monarchs have sold on feebay for slightly more over the past year.

However, I did enjoy a former Peerless Imperial for a bit. Peerless builds a quality guitar...their problem, imo, is they're priced comparable to Eastman's, which are carved instruments, and yet the Peerless archtops are available at a similar price point as solid top archtops.

User Info Menu

>>> That Conti sold for $700 and only had 1 person bid on the guitar.

That struck me as low, so I went and looked at the auction. There was a rather large area of damage to the finish (and through to the wood) on the top. It was not just a minor ding, and likely enough to put off both the price and many potentially interested players.