The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Posts 176 to 200 of 407

User Info Menu

It's the trio.

I expect DL on cello presents its own challenges!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice! Fun band. John and Demi are great too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

So here are my musings on the next chunk of Donna Lee. I don't remember when the week for each portion starts, so I hope I"m not jumping ahead here. Also, I see one unified phrase moving into mm 13-14 so I've worked with the 6 measures, 9-14.

User Info Menu

Oh yeah we’re on to 9-12 now, right?

User Info Menu

We started on a Thursday. I don’t see why we can’t switch to Mondays though. Everyone made a thoughts video and I’m happy with 5-8 in two positions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So here are my musings on the next chunk of Donna Lee. I don't remember when the week for each portion starts, so I hope I"m not jumping ahead here. Also, I see one unified phrase moving into mm 13-14 so I've worked with the 6 measures, 9-14.

That little bit that you weren't sure about from an analysis point of view could be seen as inserting a B7 (alt) in between the F7 (alt) and the Bb7 (b5).

User Info Menu

Since I commented on Lawson's submission, I feel that I should post a clip of me playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alpop
    That little bit that you weren't sure about from an analysis point of view could be seen as inserting a B7 (alt) in between the F7 (alt) and the Bb7 (b5).
    It could also be just pointing out the 3rd of Bb7 on the first beat, followed by a chromatic run down from the 9th of Bb7 to the b7, with this nice flipping of a and bflat around beat 3 of m13. Followed in m14 by the next chromatic run down to the b5 aka #11 .

User Info Menu

I found this knocking around in my drive

Bebop heads: Donna Lee-donna-lee-barry-haris-analysis-jpg

User Info Menu

In case no-one can parse that particular map of hell...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote61
    It could also be just pointing out the 3rd of Bb7 on the first beat, followed by a chromatic run down from the 9th of Bb7 to the b7, with this nice flipping of a and bflat around beat 3 of m13. Followed in m14 by the next chromatic run down to the b5 aka #11 .
    Absolutely. I over complicated. I sang D-C-B-A over a B7#9 and it sounded good. But your explanation makes more sense. That is a cool trick (D-C-B-A-Bb) to land on the root of the Bb7.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    In case no-one can parse that particular map of hell...

Thanks Christian. That was very helpful to me.

User Info Menu

On to lick 3, back to 3 fingers...

User Info Menu

Good thread and good stuff, I've been on holiday, but hopefully I'll catchup.

I don't like Miles on the original version, he's not playing in unison with Parker, so I'll copy the head from this Tenor Sax version by Bob Reynold's, which I do like.

User Info Menu

Yeah Parker learned it wrong I guess haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread. Your bravery has inspired me to learn from your example, though I suspect 8 weeks won't be enough

User Info Menu

^ Line 1 and 5 are identical, so it's only 7 weeks of material.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    ^ Line 1 and 5 are identical, so it's only 7 weeks of material.
    And we have two measures of RESTS.

User Info Menu

Cue argument about how to finger rests.

User Info Menu

Always look for the silver lining, and try to find the sunny side of life.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Old Nick
    Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread. Your bravery has inspired me to learn from your example, though I suspect 8 weeks won't be enough
    8 weeks won't be enough to get up to speed, but you can get it under your fingers. One bar at a time. 4 bars a week is less than one a day, and a bar is only like... 8 notes. Surely you can learn 8 notes a day.

Just be sure to post a clip so someone can catch if you learned it wrong. (Thanks again guys)

User Info Menu

Don't forget to also work on solo ideas. Scales, arps, intervals, and chromatics over the changes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    Don't forget to also work on solo ideas. Scales, arps, intervals, and chromatics over the changes.
    Baby steps sir, baby steps for many of us. We're always lectured to about "learn the melody" and that's what we're doing at this juncture.
    Feel free to post your own guitar fingerings for the measures. We'd love to see and hear another JGO member play.

User Info Menu

Soloing on Donna Lee is the easy part

User Info Menu

Here we go for 9-14.

measures 13-14 are another candidate for favorite lick in Donna Lee.

(another quality thumbnail, by the way)