The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Lesson - 7 Steps to Pat Martino Part 1

This is the beginning of 7 simple lessons showing you various pat martino licks. I studied with Pat off and on for several years and have a lot of Martino influence to show for it.

This is a very simple Gm7 lick that Pat actually borrowed from Wes Montgomery but you'll recognize it right away.

Thanks for the support.

Jack

0:00 Intro
    07:30 Explanation
    31:00 Notation and detail
    01:31 Extra credit lick adding additional notes
    01:45 Credits and out

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Right out of El Hombre!

User Info Menu

Cool lick, I first learned it from Wes Montgomery. He played it with an additional 4th after the lick, so in Gm he played that phrase followed by a C note. First time the C is up on the first string, then he repeats the phrase but follows it with the C note an octave lower (e.g. on 3rd string). Then he does it all again if I recall correctly, so it makes a really strong effect.

It’s on one of those tracks like Impressions or Four on Six, I can’t remember which one exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Cool lick, I first learned it from Wes Montgomery. He played it with an additional 4th after the lick, so in Gm he played that phrase followed by a C note. First time the C is up on the first string, then he repeats the phrase but follows it with the C note an octave lower (e.g. on 3rd string). Then he does it all again if I recall correctly, so it makes a really strong effect.

It’s on one of those tracks like Impressions or Four on Six, I can’t remember which one exactly.
    I remember that but also don't remember which song.

User Info Menu

It is possibly a rhythmic variation on the motifs in meas. 3 (Ebm6 in Monk's original changes) and 5 (Abm7 / Db7 /) of 'Round Midnight.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    I remember that but also don't remember which song.
    Found it - it's near the end (at 5:45) here.

User Info Menu

I remember hearing the lick in the Smoking at the Half Note version.
    Here, I found it at 1:16:
    Last edited by Tal_175; 08-16-2023 at 12:27 PM.

User Info Menu

If Wes Montgomery can recycle licks, so can I!