Posts 76 to 100 of 145

User Info Menu

Okay so something more like this? 5 grips

3x34xx

X5546x

8x58xx

10x9 10xx (G7 at 10th fret)

13 x 12 12 12 x

Also, why can’t you invert 4 note chords?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Okay so something more like this? 5 grips

3x34xx

X5546x

8x58xx

10x9 10xx (G7 at 10th fret)

13 x 12 12 12 x

Also, why can’t you invert 4 note chords?
    He was referring to arpeggios.

And you can invert four note chords.

EDIT … he’s talking about arpeggios. So he didn’t mean that you can’t invert a four note chord. Just that there can only be four inversions. It’s an arpeggio so the fifth fingering has the same low note as one of the others, just from a different finger.

User Info Menu

What I do regularly, is using MuseScore, I transpose a lick to a transposed key or interval.

Then I play along to this lick by ear on a repeat loop, without reading the notation.

I then transpose the lick to another transposed key or interval and repeat the process.

I was doing this in morning practice, I didn't really think about it, it's not all keys, it's randomly chosen keys.

Using these MuseScore options:
    Playing in all keys.-musescore-transpose-png

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    He was referring to arpeggios.

And you can invert four note chords.

EDIT … he’s talking about arpeggios. So he didn’t mean that you can’t invert a four note chord. Just that there can only be four inversions. It’s an arpeggio so the fifth fingering has the same low note as one of the others, just from a different finger.
    an arpeggio ain’t nothing but a one note at a time chord

User Info Menu

an arpeggio ain’t nothing but a one note at a time chord
    Yes but because they are one note at a time, there are generally more practical ways to play them.

Your CAGED arpeggios would be five fingerings for three-note triads, for example.

User Info Menu

I do slide into chords, but I don’t think of it as a new chord, it’s how I get to a chord, not a tangible change. If that makes sense.
    That's a good distinction.

Sometimes the slide chord is holding the same shape through the slide, like the common Blues slide into the IV, which has the "not a tangible change" sound, more flair than function... xx5666 -> xx4555

but sometimes the sliding chord type is different from the target chord, like the common Jazz Blues slide into the IV, which has the "new (passing) chord" sound with a clearer functional pressure pointing to the target of the slide... xx5665 -> xx4555

User Info Menu

Hey Allen...

back on thread... sorry I spaced and forgot about tune... So here is tune, I fall In Love... I'm just sight reading through in solo BS version....but maybe will give you some Ideas for possibilities of Playing.

https://youtu.be/AxCtkRvUH0w?si=QEaCUAT1bcuYkl3j

I'm around for a few Hours... give me a few more more tunes that your looking for possibilities and I'll read or play through... I don't really need to practice etc...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Hey Allen...

back on thread... sorry I spaced and forgot about tune... So here is tune, I fall In Love... I'm just sight reading through in solo BS version....but maybe will give you some Ideas for possibilities of Playing.

I'm around for a few Hours... give me a few more more tunes that your looking for possibilities and I'll read or play through... I don't really need to practice etc...
    Thats the tasty stuff right there

User Info Menu

Hey Allen...

This video shows some comping that's worth analyzing. To my ear (and eye, since you can see exactly what Reg is doing) you've got several things worth learning. I think that accumulating comping skills this way is likely to add a lot to the kind of mathematical approaches we sometimes discuss.

1. Every voicing sounds good and is part of the jazz guitar vocabulary for this kind of tune.

2. There is a melody happening within the comping, mostly heard as the top note, but everything is voice led nicely.

3. There are half step moves, tritone subs and alterations/extensions on the basic chords.

4. The turnaround starts Eb^9 to Ab13, which is not plain vanilla, but sounds great.

5. And, it's all got good time feel.

User Info Menu

I couldn’t help but sing the lyrics along to the Latin one. I’m surprised how fast it sounds, but you’re still at ballad tempo. Really great, especially having a direct shot of your fingers. I’m going to dig into it tomorrow.

Reg if you want to do another I’d love to see Moonglow or St. Thomas.

User Info Menu

Sliding around the blues…

User Info Menu

Hey Allen...

I guess this is proof that I’m trying the things you talk about. I appreciate help.

User Info Menu

I guess this is proof that I’m trying the things you talk about. I appreciate help.

Not exactly related, but kind of related. Gilad posted this today.

Gilad Hekselman on Instagram: "A chorus on I Fall In Love Too Easily"

User Info Menu

I don't hear the song in what he's playing.

User Info Menu

I don't hear the song in what he's playing.
    Ah I hear little bits and pieces but it’s definitely a vibe. Fun to hear a wide variety of folks play a song you’re learning though

User Info Menu

I listened again, with the volume on from the start where he hits a few melody notes.

I wonder how hes making that synth chord sound, I thought it was a backing track the first time, but I can see him hitting the chords.

He breaks up the solo a lot to hit all the chords, and the solo doesn't sound jagged because of that.

Is this CST playing? Like, is this what people are talking about?

User Info Menu

I listened again, with the volume on from the start where he hits a few melody notes.

I wonder how hes making that synth chord sound, I thought it was a backing track the first time, but I can see him hitting the chords.

He breaks up the solo a lot to hit all the chords, and the solo doesn't sound jagged because of that.

Is this CST playing? Like, is this what people are talking about?
    He uses a combination of an octave splitter and a freeze pedal. Or used to. So he can play a chord and have the bass note dropped the octave to sound super full and then freeze the chord so it hangs over the next line.

As for the CST stuff that’s hard to say. Maybe? Honestly chord scale theory is more of a process so it’s hard to tell from the end result. He definitely uses lots of extended harmonies and stuff though so the changes can sound pretty wild sometimes

User Info Menu

I gave it a whirl just now. Just playing rhythm accompaniment.

User Info Menu

I'm noticing unlike you and Reg, I'm strumming like a metronome and you guys are waaaay more free. Very nice sounding grips.

User Info Menu

I'm noticing unlike you and Reg, I'm strumming like a metronome and you guys are waaaay more free. Very nice sounding grips.
    To be honest, I struggle to play ballads.

User Info Menu

There's a time and place for that too. Style of the band is important.

I think I'll give IFILTE a go too...I think I'll sing it and accompany myself, if I can pull it off. I told myself I was going to do more singing this year, and it's suddenly March already.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Very true, but I'm legit trying to play a ballad and it's still CHUNK CHUNK CHUNK CHUNK

User Info Menu

I think I'll give IFILTE a go too...I think I'll sing it and accompany myself, if I can pull it off. I told myself I was going to do more singing this year, and it's suddenly March already.
    Also worth mentioning that you weren’t playing along with a track. When there’s nothing else giving time, your instinct will generally be to give the time. Which is a good instinct.

User Info Menu

I just started learning it the other day because it kept coming up here.

Beautiful tune.

You won’t hear me sing it though

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pawlowski6132
    To be honest, I struggle to play ballads.
    Ballads are tough, but you're really close man. Closer than I am to the right feel, which I hear is more important than the chords.