The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 38 of 38

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TAA
    A liile more pickguard fun.

On the left is a 1967 Johnny Smith, in the middle is a brand new pickguard that I purchased a few months back that I'll never use. Had a brain fart about using it but that flopped.

They are not exactly the same dimensionally.

Tom

Attachment 109093
    how do you like the CC pickup swap? People seem to suggest that it's not the same without the internal bar magnets, but I'd like to try a CC that didn't require irreversible surgery.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

All of mine attach at the 19th fret. They range from 2008-2022 models.

L5 CES Pickguard Dimensions-img_0481-jpgL5 CES Pickguard Dimensions-img_0137-jpgL5 CES Pickguard Dimensions-img_0290-jpgL5 CES Pickguard Dimensions-img_1272-jpgL5 CES Pickguard Dimensions-img_1606-jpgL5 CES Pickguard Dimensions-img_0532-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    All of mine attach at the 19th fret. They range from 2008-2022 models.

L5 CES Pickguard Dimensions-img_0481-jpgL5 CES Pickguard Dimensions-img_0137-jpgL5 CES Pickguard Dimensions-img_0290-jpgL5 CES Pickguard Dimensions-img_1272-jpgL5 CES Pickguard Dimensions-img_1606-jpgL5 CES Pickguard Dimensions-img_0532-jpg

That's interesting. I already knew this about the Wes but not he Super 4. So not just the Wesmos but also the Super attach at the 19th fret. Why does gibson still make the stubby looking shorter pickguard for the CES then? The CES CT also has the same. Note: the floating pickup and wesmo CT also have the longer guard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    kids....
    excellent singing actually and the interlude in the middle is pretty cool though they cut some of it out in that video
    ps Stu Scharf ordered the 3rd to last D'Angelico made in '64, I played it many years ago
    Stu Scharf's former D'A is a beautiful guitar.

User Info Menu

The Byrdland attaches at the 21st fret

L5 CES Pickguard Dimensions-img_0235-jpgL5 CES Pickguard Dimensions-img_0229-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan
    Stu Scharf's former D'A is a beautiful guitar.
    Where/when did you see it?

User Info Menu

Yebdox,

Actually not a swap. This L-5C was bought in April 2022. The Pete Biltoft replica floating CC was added in Dec.2022.

The 1967 JS pickguard and pickup were in “storage” after they had been removed from my ’67 L-5C in 1971 so a single HB could be installed by Gibson.

I did have a nutty plan to have the CC removed and attach the JS. That’s why I bought the new pickguard. However….there isn’t room to squeeze in the JS pickup, so I’m staying with the CC floater and am stuck with the new pickguard.

I’m like you in not wanting to have irreversible surgery performed on my guitar. I cannot comment on the need for the bar magnets and I never will be able to. It’s been 50+ years since I was playing in our group. I’ll no longer do that, so I will have limited exposure to opportunities to evaluate the quality of the CC floater.

Tom

User Info Menu

kids....
    excellent singing actually and the interlude in the middle is pretty cool though they cut some of it out in that video
    ps Stu Scharf ordered the 3rd to last D'Angelico made in '64, I played it many years ago
    Here's the real version of it:

User Info Menu

#10 and #13....

Every era has its own "garbage". The Wes Montgomery fans will recall his era was the '60's. So there is garbage and then there is garbage. The current era has its own detestible share of garbage that far outstrips the 60's garbage. But...just don't listen to it, rather than want to be seen sitting in judgement of it.

Tom

User Info Menu

Where/when did you see it?
    If you recall, we PMd about this awhile back. It's at a friend's house now.

User Info Menu

If you recall, we PMd about this awhile back. It's at a friend's house now.
    I remember us pm'ing but I don't remember discussing that guitar.
    But then again I can't remember what I had for dinner last night.
    Wait, it was air fried chicken wings and Marie's blue cheese dip.
    No wonder my arteries are screaming at me today.

ps, the pm's are still there, now I remember!

User Info Menu

I remember us pm'ing but I don't remember discussing that guitar.
    But then again I can't remember what I had for dinner last night.
    Wait, it was air fried chicken wings and Marie's blue cheese dip.
    No wonder my arteries are screaming at me today.

ps, the pm's are still there, now I remember!
    Ha! That was funny! Hope you're well, George!

User Info Menu

Ha! That was funny! Hope you're well, George!
    hangin in Michael, what else can we do?