The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi all, does anyone by any chance know what model this could be?

It is listed as a Triumph but i've looked through the unoffical registry and can't find any reference to this headstock being used on a triumph?

The listing also says it has a 15 3/4" lower bout and walnut back and side but I don't know if they actually know that or are just assuming because they think it's a Triumph. Hopefully someone familar with the grain of walnut will be able confirm from the pictures below?

They are asking £1649 for it.

Can anyone help? Thanks

What model Epiphone is this??-2-jpegWhat model Epiphone is this??-3-jpegWhat model Epiphone is this??-1-jpeg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It appears to be an Apollo model: it's shown and described under 'Models'(Section #11) at the Unofficial NY Epiphone Registry. It is not a Triumph. It apparently was not made by Epiphone, but by Regal or Harmony(so, not made like an actual NY Epi), and sold only in the UK.

According to the Registry, the back and sides are sycamore(laminate back), not walnut.

I should mention, that Regal was capable of making some very fine instruments in the '30's, although they're mostly known for budget or mid-level ones. The Apollo may be a fine sounding and playing(if well setup) guitar.
    Last edited by daverepair; 02-21-2024 at 10:44 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by daverepair
    It appears to be an Apollo model: it's shown and described under 'Models'(Section #11) at the Unofficial NY Epiphone Registry. It is not a Triumph. It apparently was not made by Epiphone, but by Regal or Harmony(so, not made like an actual NY Epi), and sold only in the UK.
    oooh, thank you! It therefore seems to be extremely overpriced!

User Info Menu

Not exactly overpriced... If the neck has been reset, refretted and straightened, the old budget guitars can go for about this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Not exactly overpriced... If the neck has been reset, refretted and straightened, the old budget guitars can go for about this.
    Oh okay! Are they collectible for some reason? There is currently a Zenith and a Blackstone for sale (in the UK) going for about the same or slighly less. Why would someone pay this price for an Apollo when they could get a proper one for the same?

User Info Menu

I wouldn't say collectable. But, repairing them makes them more valuable than the ones falling apart from 80 years of neglect.

User Info Menu

The Apollo does have an Epiphone label, they were not made in large numbers, and accurate information about Epiphone models, while available, is not widely known. So it's somewhat understandable why this example is inaccurately described. Fortunately the OP posted with his inquiry!

User Info Menu

Cool f-holes.