The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 36
    At the risk of beating a dead horse what is the consensus about a 1978 L5? Looks to be in good shape, fair price and close enough to visit before buying.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Don't let the Norlin era give you any misconceptions. Just like any other guitar the only way you'll know is to get it in hand and take it for a test drive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Prossi@cozen.com
    At the risk of beating a dead horse what is the consensus about a 1978 L5? Looks to be in good shape, fair price and close enough to visit before buying.
    How would anyone be able to say without a link for the instrument under question? No one is going to steal it from you here. It's a gentleman's club, right? Wait...it is, right???

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomvwash
    How would anyone be able to say without a link for the instrument under question? No one is going to steal it from you here. It's a gentleman's club, right? Wait...it is, right???
    I would steal it.

Nice!

User Info Menu

I bought a brand new 1977 L5CES, which I played for about 20 years and it was a very good guitar. It had a volute, which was never an issue for me, but some people seem to be critical of that feature. The only other slightly negative thing about the guitar was the “pick” sunburst, which was less attractive than the shading typical of earlier models. Other than that, the guitar was very nice and played and sounded like an L5 should. The only reason I didn’t keep it was because a vintage D’Angelico came onto the market and the seller took my L5 as a partial trade. I currently have another Norlin L5CESN. This one has an early 1970’s serial number, and I believe it to be a 1974. Being a little earlier than my other one, it doesn’t have a volute. Also, since it’s a natural finish, it looks just like a guitar from an earlier time, with a lovely patina. For those reasons, I like this one a little better, but both were very fine guitars from the Norlin era. One important thing to note, is that Gibson had returned to a 1 11/16” nut during this period, which makes them quite comfortable to those who don’t like the 1960’s “skinny” necks.
    Keith
    Last edited by floatingpickup; 02-09-2024 at 02:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Really depends on the guitar itself. There were some fine sounding Archtops during this period. But they usually had plainer woods, and were aesthetically less pleasing imo.
    I tend to like the the newer Crimson and Phillip Wharton era ones.

User Info Menu

The best guitar I ever owned was a 1978 Super 400.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Wow, over your D'Aquisto??

User Info Menu

I had one norlan l5 that was steller late 70s very early 80s. One early 70s that was kind of a dud. Just depends on the guitar. The wood tends to be plainer (with a few exceptions) but the build is top notch. Worth checking out I think.

User Info Menu

I have played and owned Norlin era archtops that were excellent, though the plain woods and volute can make them less desirable than early and later examples. I have played some not very stellar Gibson archtops from all eras, so each guitar must be evaluated on it's own merits.

User Info Menu

Joshua Breakstone plays a Norlin era L5ces. He liked it so much he bought a SECOND one like it to keep in Japan so when he goes over there he doesn't need to travel with his guitar. He plays that guitar consistently on all his recordings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Wow, over your D'Aquisto??
    Tone wise yes.

User Info Menu

Jimmy D'Aquisto was adamant that plain maple sounded better then heavily flamed maple.

User Info Menu

Norlin gets a bad rap but as Marco (SS) stated every year has greats and duds and something in between.

Thanks for all of this. Very helpful. I guess the lesson learned is that while Gibson/norlin may have made some compromises between 70 and 85 or so there are still many very good instruments to be had from that period. Each has to be evaluated standing alone!

User Info Menu

Thanks for all of this. Very helpful. I guess the lesson learned is that while Gibson/norlin may have made some compromises between 70 and 85 or so there are still many very good instruments to be had from that period. Each has to be evaluated standing alone!
    Absolutely! Even during the golden eras they made some duds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

And I think the late, forever great Jimmy Ponder played a Super 400 from around the same time (mid-70's), as I recall.

Saw the guitar today. Very pretty , one owner. All original but for pick guard and case. Priced right but sounded like it was being strangled. Definitely a dud. Even the seller said it sounded heavy like it had too much finish on it.

User Info Menu

Acoustic model?

User Info Menu

Acoustic model?
    No CES

User Info Menu

No CES
    I'm assuming the D'Aquisto was acoustic w a floater? so you liked the electric sound of the Super better than the JD plugged in? Just curious....

User Info Menu

To add to the logic, play them. If you know what you like, play the candidate guitar.

I had a '65 Johnny Smith, that at the time was like "wow" and at a great price - used, previously owned by a prominent jazz guitarist. So if he played it....it must be great....right??

I had a hard time making music with it. Finally I sold it, it was no friend of mine. Years after, I found a Norlin L5 CES, used and at a fair price. I loved it at the first playing in the store, a guitarist's guitar. And affordable, so.....
    I still have it, and when playing it, I never notice a volute. Someone once replied that the volute interfered with his/her thumb. Either they weren't playing a good guitar, or their thumb is really in the wrong place!

It's up to you now, after all this preaching. Enjoy the hunt.

User Info Menu

Saw the guitar today. Very pretty , one owner. All original but for pick guard and case. Priced right but sounded like it was being strangled. Definitely a dud. Even the seller said it sounded heavy like it had too much finish on it.
    Maybe it is not played a lot. Some say that a week or two of ToneRite vibration treatment will bring it back to live.

Or maybe it just is a dud!

User Info Menu

Acoustic model?
    Yes - acoustic with a floater. I’ve always gravitated to a more electric sound with a built in humbucker though the Cameo with have a floater. I need at least one.

I would have never sold the D’A but I needed to help my daughter buy a condo.
    I had one other floater that was fabulous. A 1975 Guild AA with a 1100.
    Lots of sale regrets in my life.