The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

Yay!! Finally got my Gibson ES-175. 1995 all stock except not sure about the black speed knobs.
    This is my first hollow-body (I own a semi-hollow). I'm impressed with the acoustic volume even with the flat-wounds on it. I'll be replacing those soon with round-wounds as I'm more of a Jump Blues, Soul, R&B player. She sounds great with all of my tube amps (Fender Vibrolux Reverb, Chucktronic Session 22) and even my Quilter 101 Reverb Mini.

1995 Gibson ES-175-img_0017-jpg1995 Gibson ES-175-img_0019-jpg1995 Gibson ES-175-img_0021-jpg1995 Gibson ES-175-img_0023-jpg
    Last edited by MacGringo; 07-31-2017 at 10:17 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Really nice one. Congrats. The 90's were great years for 175's.

User Info Menu

Yes. Yes. That one looks mighty nice.
    MD

User Info Menu

Looks nice. now go play the hell out of it and make it your voice.

User Info Menu

Those doggone 90s ES-175s sound tremendous! Congratulations! You have stepped up to the Electraglide.

User Info Menu

Congratulations - a beauty - enjoy her!

User Info Menu

ES-175s are great guitars, and you have found a real beauty! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Looks perfect. Have fun together.

User Info Menu

Jeez that looks like a twin to my 95! Have fun with it and enjoy.

1995 Gibson ES-175-gibson_es175s-jpg
    Last edited by GNAPPI; 07-31-2017 at 12:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    Jeez that looks like a twin to my 95! Have fun with it and enjoy.

1995 Gibson ES-175-gibson_es175s-jpg
    Very nice! So the black speed knobs are stock then? Thinking of putting some gold or amber knobs with pointers like the 50s, 60s ES-175.

How would describe the neck on your 95? To me it feels actually thinner than I was expecting, feels more like a 60s neck.. with the shorter scale it's really a comfortable guitar to play. Alright, back to the honeymoon. :-)
    Last edited by MacGringo; 07-31-2017 at 01:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Congrats - a nice 175 is a guitar that you won't ever want to part with and is one hat many people chase when buying other guitars hoping to get "that" sound. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Congrats. A real beauty - the quintessential jazz guitar. Enjoy !

User Info Menu

There's naught much prettier than a 175 in backyburst. Congrats, and make it sing for the money!

User Info Menu

Congrats. May she inspire your playing fir many years to come.

User Info Menu

A great jazz box! Good find and enjoy!

User Info Menu

Lovely instrument! Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MacGringo
    Very nice! So the black speed knobs are stock then? Thinking of putting some gold or amber knobs with pointers like the 50s, 60s ES-175.

How would describe the neck on your 95? To me it feels actually thinner than I was expecting, feels more like a 60s neck.. with the shorter scale it's really a comfortable guitar to play. Alright, back to the honeymoon. :-)
    Mine does not have the barrel speed knobs (PRSK-010) it has the Gibson black plastic "top hat" Knobs - type PRHK-010. I have no idea if they are original.

The neck is ~.100" thicker than my 2000 "slim taper" ES335 neck, noticeable but not anywhere like the baseball bat Les Pauls I've seen. It plays real well.

Some of the 90's 175's had some really nicely figured maple used in construction, today Gibson calls anything like them a "Figured" model and has a $1000 uplift (or more) in price for it... Remember that fact if you ever go to sell it. Yours is a looker for sure, now go and get on with your honeymoon :-)

User Info Menu

That's all the guitar you'll need right there. It's beautiful.
    Give us regular updates and tell us how you really feel.
    Great guitar man. Joe D

User Info Menu

I agree with JoeMax...if you can't say it with that beauty, it can't be said.

There's a reason the 175 is pretty much the most recorded guitar in jazz history.

User Info Menu

A peach!

Now, dress her up with dark amber knobs.

User Info Menu

The amber knobs look great. So does the gold with the silver caps which matches the nickel hardware. Both would look great. Amplified parts sell this great little tool for knob removal and installation.

User Info Menu

Even though I'm not a modder, I agree with vinny1k on the knobs.

User Info Menu

Congrats .....

I've built up a nice collection of Gibson archtops and recently got that Super 400 of my dreams ...

but in hindsight .... my 175 was all I really needed .... and maybe my L4CES

I could have saved a lot of money if I had realized that 25 years ago LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    The amber knobs look great. So does the gold with the silver caps which matches the nickel hardware. Both would look great. Amplified parts sell this great little tool for knob removal and installation.
    Thanks, I just ordered some Gibson amber knobs and silver pointers from Amazon. I actually have knob removal tool - I think I bought it from StewMac a while back. Cheers!

User Info Menu

The amber knobs and pointers installed.

1995 Gibson ES-175-es175_knobs-jpg