The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 130 of 130

User Info Menu

3rds, 7ths, 6ths, those are the most important. Roots and 5ths less so, as the bass is likely taking care of those. Occasional chromatic passing, but not TOO much.

4 of the same per bar or two and two. Very rarely 4 different notes per bar.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Mick-7
    No, It’s mostly 1,3,5,6,7 and perhaps the occational 9. And of course some chromatics.
    More 1 and 5 than I had expected, and more collisions with the bass than I would have arranged myself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    3rds, 7ths, 6ths, those are the most important. Roots and 5ths less so, as the bass is likely taking care of those. Occasional chromatic passing, but not TOO much. 4 of the same per bar or two and two. Very rarely 4 different notes per bar.
    So this would solve Allan's dilemma of what to play when he sees a funny altered chord symbol, right? Just ignore it and play Freddie Green type chord voicings. If anyone in the band notices the change(s) at all, I bet they'll think it's an improvement and compliment him on his comping.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    So this would solve Allan's dilemma of what to play when he sees a funny altered chord symbol, right? Just ignore it and play Freddie Green type chord voicings. If anyone in the band notices the change(s) at all, I bet they'll think it's an improvement and compliment him on his comping.
    Right, and those notes I mentioned, that's for "one note chords."

User Info Menu

Finally had some time this morning.

There's nothing in the rules about playing to a backing track.

?