The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 89 of 89

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    . His own playing of it over the years is far from the tender ballad most of us imagine, that came after the words were composed (by someone else) and matched to the already-widely-played tune.
    Not sure about that part. This is the original 1954 release, that's a ballad if I ever heard one.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    Not sure about that part. This is the original 1954 release, that's a ballad if I ever heard one.

Uh, what was said was "His own playing of it over the years is far from the tender ballad most of us imagine,,,".

Over the years. (thus not the original release).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal View Post
    Uh, what was said was "His own playing of it over the years is far from the tender ballad most of us imagine,,,".

Over the years. (thus not the original release).

Yeah, buddy.... you can't just cut out the part you don't agree with by tossing in an ellipse. The quote continues to say the ballad feel came after lyrics were added. My point being, it was a ballad first.

Now I'm wondering if Lawson was saying it went uptempo after the ballads success and I'm interpreting him wrong.

User Info Menu

I'm just saying that Garner's own performances don't uniformly match the "slow tender ballad" description. Even when the tempo is slow, the ornamentation, substitutions, fills, and variations on phrases go far beyond what the Keepers of the Flame on here think is canonical Misty. I notice that generally, the better someone plays, the more flexible and imaginative they become about how even the great tunes can be treated. It's the beginners and middling players (like me!) who are often excessively fixated on a single type of performance of a given tune.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Yka59 View Post
    Hi. Thank you for an answer that's related to my question, you are one of the few :-) I started of with jazzguitar.be and now I want to go on further that's why I got the book that holds standards that I like. :-) Because this website is 10+. No offense to the others whom seemed to have some inside discussion were I'm totally lost! And just for your information, I live in Prague, Czech Republic and there really isn't any chord melody books in the music/book shops here, surprise but a fact.
    Why do you need a book? There are countless demonstrations on youtube. What is it that you object to about youtube? Is it the fact that it's free, or more convenient, or better demonstrated with a video?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    I'm just saying that Garner's own performances don't uniformly match the "slow tender ballad" description. Even when the tempo is slow, the ornamentation, substitutions, fills, and variations on phrases go far beyond what the Keepers of the Flame on here think is canonical Misty. I notice that generally, the better someone plays, the more flexible and imaginative they become about how even the great tunes can be treated. It's the beginners and middling players (like me!) who are often excessively fixated on a single type of performance of a given tune.
    The nice thing about jazz is that you can interpret a tune any way you want. Purists might object but that's too bad, the tune is not their possession.

User Info Menu

The nice thing about jazz is that you can interpret a tune any way you want. Purists might object but that's too bad, the tune is not their possession.
    Many of the older tunes adopted by jazz musicians were written in 3/4 time.

User Info Menu

And what's odd is the focus here on "Misty" but in fact a ton of jazz standards were originally ballads and became wildly up-tempo barn-burners. "All the Things You Are" is a great example. A very tender ballad, with really sweet words, but we play it pretty much in "Donna Lee" territory. And again, often it's pretty hard to "hear the melody." But for some reason in this thread a line was drawn around "Misty" and a pretty nice chord-melodic improvisation on the tune, incorporating phrasing from the tune, was said to be "murder" and the musician characterizes as not a very good player. Weird indeed.

User Info Menu

^ Calm down with the straw manning of the entire thread there. ragman said that. To my reading, everyone else explained their taste about the issue without drawing a line or saying it was a bad rendition by a bad player.
    Last edited by Bobby Timmons; 05-21-2024 at 03:04 PM.

User Info Menu

People play ATTYA faster than the Parker Gillespie version?

I’m always amazed at the bubble I’m in.

User Info Menu

That one runs the gamut. Pretty common anywhere between 100-200. Not unheard of faster or slower either. Was a ballad originally as aforesaid.

User Info Menu

Among guitarists, Hank Garland recorded it at about 235, Tal Farlow took it a bit quicker at 240-250, and Pat Metheny well north of 250.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

And of course there is the VERSE.