The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 92

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Yea... I do all the time. Like what use to be on some charts....... play what's notated, unless you can play something.... better.

It always helps when you know and have worked with the rhythm section(s).
    I did a BB gig 2 nights ago... a great Vibes player showed up... and a good friend to play piano. I gave guitar book to Vibs and read with piano...... If you have rhythmic chops and can use your ears...you can create much better parts. Obviously you need to know arranger styles and just Know their licks, which somewhat defines their style.
    It really only seems to be the old working band charts that can have notation discrepancies with chord notation.
    indeed.

but also

ALL SHALL SUCCUMB TO THE JAZZ VORTEX

A word about the word 'dominant'.-img_2175-jpeg

Apparently in French charts, time is a flat circle

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    indeed.

but also

ALL SHALL SUCCUMB TO THE JAZZ VORTEX

A word about the word 'dominant'.-screenshot-2023-12-29-6-16-11-pm-png

User Info Menu

Clear now?

Great thread, thanks Patrick. It's not boring, I'm always happy to read into the inference of the limitations and obvious contradictions of chord symbols.

No system is perfect and you can get some mileage from the quick labeling of triads but it's obvious that real musicians have to go beyond the chord symbols when connecting harmony and counterpoint.

I always got the sense that this is what Barry Harris meant with "movement".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    Clear now?
    Weirdly yes. Nice diagram!

But bear in mind that I am mad.

User Info Menu

We need to figure it out for ourselves.

We are, after all - improvisers.

User Info Menu

(A Uniform System for the Music Profession)
    Soon as you see 'uniform system'... forget it :-)

User Info Menu

Weirdly yes. Nice diagram!

But bear in mind that I am mad.
    Though I like looking at it and it may have served a purpose at one time the most interesting usage was by Sandra Henry who took the image and printed it onto mylar (it was the first time I'd heard of this clear plastic) and suspended it with small springs on extensions she'd built on the top of a wagon. I can't remember for the life of me what was collected on the floor of the wagon. Sandra was at McMaster University for Fine Art at the time.
    Last edited by A. Kingstone; 12-29-2023 at 11:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Though I like looking at it and it may have served a purpose at one time the most interesting usage was by Sandra Henry who took the image and printed it onto mylar (it was the first time I'd heard of this clear plastic) and suspended it with small springs on extensions she'd built on the top of a wagon. I can't remember for the life of me what was collected on the floor of the wagon. Sandra was at McMaster University for Fine Art at the time.
    Huh?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Huh?
    Exactly.

The chord constellation was a personal learning tool. I didn't include it in Barry's book though the theory behind it he had taught me. The page itself is confusing. My point is that it was better suited as sculpture (mylar on springs in a wagon) than a teaching tool.But it was part of my realisation of Seventh Chords, sometimes referred to as Dominant or Dominant Seventh Chords.

User Info Menu

Apparently in French charts, time is a flat circle
    I don't think they've heard of the Uniform System :-)

A word about the word 'dominant'.-x-jpg

User Info Menu

Exactly.

The chord constellation was a personal learning tool. I didn't include it in Barry's book though the theory behind it he had taught me. The page itself is confusing. My point is that it was better suited as sculpture (mylar on springs in a wagon) than a teaching tool.But it was part of my realisation of Seventh Chords, sometimes referred to as Dominant or Dominant Seventh Chords.

hehe boingy boingy

also, I sometimes draw diagrams like this thinking ‘it’s perfectly simple, look I do chart’ and realise half way through that what I’m drawing is utterly incomprehensible

Something about the nature of knowledge?

User Info Menu

No, it's because it really is incomprehensible

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    No, it's because it really is incomprehensible
    It's a reminder for the initiated.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I don't think they've heard of the Uniform System :-)

A word about the word 'dominant'.-x-jpg
    This is by Philippe Baudoin according to the principles he suggested in "Jazz: Mode d'Emploi". His fakebook has the best changes BTW IMHO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    It's a reminder for the initiated.
    BTW Barry is not my guru but his teachings gave me many "Eureka!" moments.

User Info Menu

Yeah I mean you get used to reading all sorts of chord symbols. Alteration after the degree here I notice.

the French way of dividing up the bar - can get pretty bonkers looking. I like it in principle.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersoul
    and it's not DAT tape, damnit!
    Baltimore has a diner called the Double-T diner, but on the sign it's written Double TT diner, and the literalist in me sees TTTT diner.
    The English can't understand why Americans go horseback riding instead of horse riding.

User Info Menu

True, presumably because you sit on its back, not on its head, thus to add the word back is unnecessary. Nor do we say horse riding, it's just riding.

Lesson over :-)

User Info Menu

And I will never understand why you insist on calling the ground floor of a building the first floor. While we're at it!

User Info Menu

I liked the chart... many of the possible harmonic relationships.
    Sadly... that's the way my mind works, I see changes and with respect to complete chart and context.... I actually make choices and then organized them with organized targets etc.... I thought everyone did this...

So that's what I hear and see when playing...

joelf Guest

User Info Menu

Lowe isn't low - thankfully.

User Info Menu

Dominick Seventh
    That was quite funny :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    That's not what I said. I said if you have a m6 chord (example was given of C Eb G A) you can use a maj7 (C Eb G B) too since if the 6th is major the 7th is also major. You're going the other way using the 7th to define the 6th, and yeah it doesn't work that way. It might not work the way I said it, but you're replying to something I didn't say.

Natural Minor
    1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7

Harmonic Minor
    1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7

Melodic Minor
    1 2 b3 4 5 6 7
    that's right, on tonic minor, you can almost always do major/minor 7 or minor 6, depending on the feel you want.