The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 59 of 59

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    Playing BH descending chromatics from each degree of the chords that make up a major ii-V-I progression helped me get the conventional form under my fingers and into my ears when I first came across the concept.
    Attachment 106802
    Yes, good stuff, I initially did similar BH style chromatic sequences starting on chord tones, but usually descending and ascending in eternal loops.

The BH chromatic sequence is truly superb, but gets a bit too similar sounding after a while, so I'm trying to create my own sound.

Below shows one of the many examples of eternal loops I created to initially practice the BH style chromatic sequence.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Currently, I'm working with Messiaen Mode 7.

It's a sequence with a lot of chromatics, which seems to descend very nicely.

User Info Menu

Here's another using the Messiaen Mode 7 sequence.

I'm finding these Messiaen sequences very interesting, but you have to practice them a lot to get them under your fingers and in your ears.

User Info Menu

You could do the whole Slonimsky and Lateef's "Repository of Scales and Melodic Patterns" the Barry way LOL.

(Lateef being an early BH student of course.)

User Info Menu

This Chromatic Sequence using the 3rd and 1st chord tones on the 1st and 3rd beats of the bar is simple, but sounds good to my ears. Give it a try.

User Info Menu

Here's a Christmas Chromatic Sequence based on a Bebop Cliche using the cycle of Fourths, obviously it would repeat itself after 12 bars.

Here's the first 5 bars:

User Info Menu

Here's a 9 note Chromatic Sequence that sounds good over a Major iiVI .

User Info Menu

Here's a 10 note Chromatic Sequence that sounds good over a minor iiVI.

User Info Menu

Here's a Chromatic Sequence that sounds good over a Major iiVI with a tritone sub.

Chromatic Scale Sequences-chromatic-sequence-major-iivi-tritone-sub-png