The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Posts 201 to 225 of 376

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith View Post
    Don't forget to also work on solo ideas. Scales, arps, intervals, and chromatics over the changes.
    Baby steps sir, baby steps for many of us. We're always lectured to about "learn the melody" and that's what we're doing at this juncture.
    Feel free to post your own guitar fingerings for the measures. We'd love to see and hear another JGO member play.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Soloing on Donna Lee is the easy part

User Info Menu

Here we go for 9-14.

measures 13-14 are another candidate for favorite lick in Donna Lee.

(another quality thumbnail, by the way)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine View Post
    Cue argument about how to finger rests.
    I've found that the standard air guitar fingerings work well for them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Soloing on Donna Lee is the easy part
    Yep, which is why you should be able to work a bit of it in tandem. :P

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    Baby steps sir, baby steps for many of us. We're always lectured to about "learn the melody" and that's what we're doing at this juncture.
    Feel free to post your own guitar fingerings for the measures. We'd love to see and hear another JGO member play.
    I posted my rendition on page 5. Sorry, I can't participate with working it out on guitar because I'm a pianist. I guess I'm just cheerleading now.

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic View Post
    Another quality thumbnail, by the way.
    Yep haha.
    Last edited by Jimmy Smith; 05-01-2024 at 12:53 AM.

User Info Menu

The melody of Donna Lee IS soloing material

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Yes it is. Ideally combined with some fluency of the changes I would say.

User Info Menu

People practice scales and arpeggios don't they? Perhaps I'm naive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post
    Sure. Absolutely. Yes.

User Info Menu

That's what I suggested people do. What is the source of disagreement? lol

User Info Menu

I had a repeated listen of Donna Lee this morning.

I hear a lot of players using a triplet for the opening notes, but my ears are telling it's not a triplet.

Answers please?

Or, does it not really matter.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden View Post
    I had a repeated listen of Donna Lee this morning.

I hear a lot of players using a triplet for the opening notes, but my ears are telling it's not a triplet.

Answers please?

Or, does it not really matter.
    Definitely a triplet.

Your guy might be doing an eighth note followed by paired sixteenth notes?

User Info Menu

Yes it is. Ideally combined with some fluency of the changes I would say.
    I think what Christian is saying is that you can work on scales any ole time. Donna Lee is already those scales and arpeggios transformed into vocabulary. Working on scales and intervals is sort of unskipping the middle man.

User Info Menu

Definitely a triplet.

Your guy might be doing an eighth note followed by paired sixteenth notes?
    Thanks, I'll move onto the next 4 bars.

User Info Menu

I found this knocking around in my drive

Attachment 111194
    For the analysis of bar two (F7b9 going to Bb7), backdoor with raised one is too clever I think. It's just the good old F7b9 arpeggio going up from the third, down to the third of the target with #9 b9 1 7 -> 3 (with a pivot). Maybe I'm too simple.

It's probably the most (over)used bebop lick of all times. It's also one of the common guide tone patterns discussed in educational materials (Randy Vincent, Bert Ligon etc).

The exact same thing happens in bar 16 ( Eb7-> Ab). It's just the same arpeggio up from the third, down to the third of the target with the cliche b9 #9 trill. This time without pivoting. I think there is a slight mistake in the Eb7 arpeggio in the sheet. The arpeggio form the third repeats Bb instead of going up to Eb.

I find analyzing a line over Eb7 oriented to Eb7 easier than seeing it as a Gb7. Maybe this is another one of our parallel-derivative clashes, lol. Just putting it out there as an alternative analysis.

User Info Menu

Alright … on the topic of Donna Lee being vocabulary in its own right, here’s a bit on how I end up raiding stuff like this for ideas. Using m13-14 in this case:

For what it’s worth, this might be idiosyncratic, but I think comes from my tendency to think about chord tones (upper structures too) rather than about scales in a linear way. So it would probably (?) be a different approach from what Christian might come to from the more linear analysis.

(Yes, I did get 80% of my hair cut off between this video and the last)

User Info Menu

That's what I suggested people do. What is the source of disagreement? lol

I'm sure you can find one if you try hard enough

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175 View Post
    For the analysis of bar two (F7b9 going to Bb7), backdoor with raised one is too clever I think. It's just the good old F7b9 arpeggio going up from the third, down to the third of the target with #9 b9 1 7 -> 3 (with a pivot). Maybe I'm too simple.
    Yeah I mean that's not wrong. That's exactly how I describe in two of the videos I posted that I'm sure you watched lol.

The scale is the Ab7 to the third of F7.

Barry Harris was allergic to compound interval notation haha. I'm trying to think how exactly he would have described it...

It's probably the most (over)used bebop lick of all times. It's also one of the common guide tone patterns discussed in educational materials (Randy Vincent, Bert Ligon etc).
    It's a classic. I certainly overuse it lol. You have to learn those cliches if you want to learn the idiom though. You aren't too good for 'em haha.

The exact same thing happens in bar 16 ( Eb7-> Ab). It's just the same arpeggio up from the third, down to the third of the target with the cliche b9 #9 trill. This time without pivoting. I think there is a slight mistake in the Eb7 arpeggio in the sheet. The arpeggio form the third repeats Bb instead of going up to Eb.
    Yeah, a typo I think, I don't play this.

I find analyzing a line over Eb7 oriented to Eb7 easier than seeing it as a Gb7. Maybe this is another one of our parallel-derivative clashes, lol. Just putting it out there as an alternative analysis.
    Well, practice it more then and stop moaning :-)

It took me a while. But the benefits have been worth it. There's a whole slew of things a bit like this lick that I just chunk into the Gb7 scale. It's not easier in the short term but if you have spent any time with the dominant scale there's instantly a million things you can play on a minor II V I with all the fancy added note rules and whatnot for no extra investment in practice time. Or any II V I for that matter. But for while it is a bit like converting Centigrade into Fahrenheit.

Not all licks of this type contain the third of the dominant either. Barry was quite into not using the third of the dominant in fact.

In the short term you can plug this lick into any dominant, and should. Immediately. Right Now.

User Info Menu

It's a classic. I certainly overuse it lol. You have to learn those cliches if you want to learn the idiom though. You aren't too good for 'em haha.
    I'm trying to cut down, lol.

Well, practice it more then and stop moaning :-)

It took me a while. But the benefits have been worth it. There's a whole slew of things a bit like this lick that I just chunk into the Gb7 scale. It's not easier in the short term but if you have spent any time with the dominant scale there's instantly a million things you can play on a minor II V I with all the fancy added note rules and whatnot for no extra investment in practice time. Or any II V I for that matter. But for while it is a bit like converting Centigrade into Fahrenheit.
    Oh I spent time playing family of dominants into each other. I just disagree that it provides a good insight into the way, for example, the bars 15- 16 back to top of Donna Lee works. In those bars you get as characteristic and unambiguous 7-3 voice leading right on the bar lines as you'll find in any jazz recording and Bach composition. The analysis buries the 7-3 movements inside the scales over the bar lines.

Not all licks of this type contain the third of the dominant either. Barry was quite into not using the third of the dominant in fact.

In the short term you can plug this lick into any dominant, and should. Immediately. Right Now. What are you waiting for? Stella, all 12 keys. GO!
    Thanks, but one of the things I worked very hard on was to internalize the fretboard so I don't have to think of licks in a derivative way. I can orient any lick to the chord of the moment. You don't lose anything (except practice hours). You can play the same ideas but your organization match what you hear and the harmony. It becomes a practice habit. I know you are working on the intervallic view. Maybe you'll come to like this view at some point (however brief that moment might be).
    Last edited by Tal_175; 05-01-2024 at 12:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Is there a definitive recording of this tune by the man himself, Charlie "Yardbird" Parker?

I'm only seeing this one recording of it (on a few different albums) on YouTube. Miles sounds like he's having trouble keeping up with Bird.

Last edited by Mick-7; 05-01-2024 at 12:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    Is there a definitive recording of this tune by the man himself, Charlie "Yardbird" Parker?

I'm only seeing this one recording of it (on a few different albums) on YouTube. Miles sounds like he's having trouble keeping up with Bird.

Pretty sure this is the only one. In complete savoy in addition to other compilations.

And yeah … Miles would’ve been 21 on this recording I think.

User Info Menu

I'm sure you can find one if you try hard enough
    Then you agree with me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    Miles sounds like he's having trouble keeping up with Bird.
    Billie’s Bounce is the same way… did I say that already in this thread or decide not to post it?

I don’t like to learn the Parker/Davis takes by ear.

User Info Menu

So here's my mm1-14 played with the backing track at about 170. Still fumbling mm. 5-6 still but otherwise feeling pretty good about trying to advance the tempo a little more each day. Also, really loving the sound of the Seymour Duncan PhatCat pickup (P90 in Humbucker case) on the Epiphone Zephyr Regent re-issue through the Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb.

User Info Menu

Pretty sure this is the only one. In complete savoy in addition to other compilations.
    Looks like Bird's first recording of the tune was in 1947 with Dizzy Gillespie and Lennie Tristano, I'd like to hear it!

Young Bird, Vol. 6: 1947 - Charlie Parker Album | AllMusic

Only found Lennie with Lee Konitz on YouTube: