The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 103

User Info Menu

She's a talented woman. I followed her career a bit in the early days. It's a shame she didn't have a bigger career than she had, though she has put out a lot of albums and still performs a bit. Not many people have even one song with the staying power of At Seventeen.

By report she performed Society's Child on the Smothers Brothers show when she was 16. Bill Cosby met her there, and apparently tried to get her blacklisted from entertainment shows because he thought she was a lesbian. (She later came out as gay but had not at that point in her life.) More likely she refused a sexual request from him.

I follow her on Facebook. She posts a lot, quite a few jokes and funny pictures. She is, not surprisingly, a big liberal.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 12-28-2023 at 04:25 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    It's easier to leave it as it is. The link opens a pdf whose view can then be changed to how the viewer wants it, including rotation, see below.

Open the pdf and go right to the end of the icons. You'll see two chevrons pointing right. Passing the mouse over it reveals it as the Tools button. Click on that (twice) and you'll see the rotate options. Et voila.

Attachment 107415
    Wow! Thanks man...

User Info Menu

I meant click on the Rotate button twice, it only goes round halfway at a time :-)

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    She's a talented woman. I followed her career a bit in the early days. It's a shame she didn't have a bigger career than she had, though she has put out a lot of albums and still performs a bit. Not many people have even one song with the staying power of At Seventeen.

By report she performed Society's Child on the Smothers Brothers show when she was 16. Bill Cosby met her there, and apparently tried to get her blacklisted from entertainment shows because he thought she was a lesbian. (She later came out as gay but had not at that point in her life.) More likely she refused a sexual request from him.

I follow her on Facebook. She posts a lot, quite a few jokes and funny pictures. She is, not surprisingly, a big liberal.
    Cosby. Ugh.

Glad she still does her thing. And it's amazing that those socially conscious songs even got airplay in the late '60s, early '70s. She took a huge risk and also stuck to her guns. There's a very good 2-book set by Paul Zollo, Songwriters on Songwriting. In the interview with Ian she told how a record exec implored her to tone down Society's Child, make it not about a black-white romance. She told Zollo 'I figured I'd have plenty of time to sell out later if I wanted to'.

But never did...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    It is, actually, even though it sits nice on guitar...the tough part is her guitar voicings on the original are lovely, with the guitar part often supplying a high harmony to the vocals. But if you're going to play it as a solo piece, you can't really have both...
    If you flub something, just murmur vague obscenities

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Due to reading this this morning, I could hear Ms. Ians lovely voice all day as I walked and split wood.

Great thread Joel.

User Info Menu

Believe me I have been.

Got a new nylon string guitar today. I'm in love. New vid coming soon

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Believe me I have been.

Got a new nylon string guitar today. I'm in love. New vid coming soon
    Damn you Beaumont! I've been thinking just that. Cut away with electronics.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    Damn you Beaumont! I've been thinking just that. Cut away with electronics.
    I had a very non traditional nylon i liked, so I went more trad...with crazy electronics...a Yamaha with the built in "tonewood" amp. Its really cool.

At Seventeen-20231229_211317-jpg

User Info Menu

Ah man! It's you.

User Info Menu

Looks nice, Jeff. Is that your Xmas present? Good for you. Now we need to hear it :-)

joelf Guest
    How do I post a video on this here page (or site generally)?

I have this laptop, an iPhone and an iPad.

Tank-a-yiz...

User Info Menu

You've got to put the video on YouTube first. Then just post in the link.

Have to start charging soon :-)

joelf Guest
    You've got to put the video on YouTube first. Then just post in the link.

Have to start charging soon :-)
    How do you post it on youtube?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    How do you post it on youtube?
    Just need a YouTube account.

User Info Menu

You already have one, Joel! I checked. Isn't this yours?

fasstrack Fass - YouTube

If it's not you need to open one.

How to Create a YouTube Channel From Scratch

User Info Menu

Looks nice, Jeff. Is that your Xmas present? Good for you. Now we need to hear it :-)
    It was, kind of. Had my eyes on it for a while, after playing one at a GC about a year ago...and I was sitting on some gift cards and got a few more...I ordered from the evil Amazon empire and it came the next day

I play a lot of acoustic and I really like my "crossover" style Yamaha...but I wanted something a little more traditional in feel and shape, but still with electronics.

I'm still getting acquainted...it needs two things-- normal tension strings (came with high, which are okay, but I like a looser feel) and it needs a ninth fret side dot. But I can tell I'm going to like it. It sounds good even without the built in effects...but with a little reverb, its heavenly.

User Info Menu

What does nylon sound like through the electronics? I suppose you might have to wait till you get the right action set up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    I'm late to the party, but here's Charlie Byrd's version:

And a version by one of my favorite players, Duke Levine:
    For those of you who may not have yet checked this earlier post by Andy V, you really should, if you are interested in reharmonization possibilities. Duke Levine, who has a degree from the New England Conservatory, is currently Bonne Raitt's touring guitarist (having replaced George Marinelli), and whose playing spans a number of genres, shares a dark and hynoptic version with us here ...

joelf Guest

fasstrack Fass - YouTube

Guess so. So many accounts, passwords, security this and that today who can keep up with it.? But thanks for reminding me. And for the tutorial.

I understand there's FB live too. Gonna take advantage of both, why not?

As a guy once said 'It's easy to be a genius in your living room'. Gotta go before the Vox Populi (and hope they don't think you're Very Putrid)...

joelf Guest

fasstrack Fass - YouTube

OK, found it. Now what? Don't see any LH option to post a new video...

joelf Guest
    Scratch that, Rag. Figured it out. Have to wait a day. Thanks for the links...

User Info Menu

If anyone is interested, here's an initial sound test with the Yamaha. New strings arrive today...sounds pretty cool.

User Info Menu

Really lovely Jeff.