Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 49 of 49

User Info Menu

I've been digging Slim Gaillard's guitar/piano playing as well as the Nat King Cole Trio with Oscar Moore lately. When I'm not in my head about "serious" jazz listening, I really enjoy light-hearted tunes like Slim & Slam's Jump Session and Slim's Laguna. And from the Nat King Cole Trio's I Like To Riff and Are You Fer It. Hit That Jive and Frim Fram Sauce, too. Anybody get hooked on fun/corny/cheesy jazz numbers once in awhile?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

love that slim g jive..slim & slam...great stuff...check out babs gonalez, the mills brothers, fats waller & harry the hipster gibson

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    love that slim g jive..slim & slam...great stuff...check out babs gonalez, the mills brothers, fats waller & harry the hipster gibson

cheers
    Yeah, I think I have one of his tracks. He's pretty kooky. I was also thinking about Louis Jordan. He's got a lot of great funny jazz tunes.

User Info Menu

I remember seeing Slam Stewart (The Singing Bassman) play "Flat Foot Floogie With The Floy Floy" back in the late 70's which I think is a Slim Gaillard tune.

Does that qualify?

User Info Menu

Blossom and Mose each had a brand of humor that was a big part of their musical persona that I always enjoyed.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Not jazz, I know, but I classic novelty record.

User Info Menu

Yea, the times when jazz had some good rhythm to it... Here's the song about myself

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Yea, the times when jazz had some good rhythm to it... Here's the song about myself

I was just thinking about Cab Calloway. I bought a great compilation in the early 2000s of his Okeh recordings that included this tune and Everyone Eats When They Come To My House.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Not jazz, I know, but I classic novelty record.

I used to listen to the Dr. Demento show and learned about this tune. Add a little swing to it and I'd bet it'd be more fun to play and sing

It's a classic!

YES! When I first saw this clip I was really impressed with his entertainment skills and piano chops. Love his opening line about playing his "2nd number"! Would've like to see him bust out his Charlie Christian-like guitar chops, but it seems like this was a period to show off early rock-n-roll strumming. Great performer!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic

cheers
    this guy looks like he’s doing his best fats wallet impression. the result makes very uncomfortable haha

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Herron
    I remember seeing Slam Stewart (The Singing Bassman) play "Flat Foot Floogie With The Floy Floy" back in the late 70's which I think is a Slim Gaillard tune.

Does that qualify?

Regards,
    Steven Herron
    Learn To Play Chord Melody Guitar

Of course!! I would've enjoyed seeing him or Slim Gaillard live. It would've been something else to see them both as their hep duo!

Mercer has got some great tunes that I need to learn on guitar! I mean Nat King Cole singin' My Sugar Is So Refined. That's a rare classic!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I love this stuff. (And country novelty tunes too, but that's another subject.)

Rhythm changes (and related vamps) seem to be the backing for many such tunes.

Blues and boogie-woogie too.

User Info Menu

Wow, that Long John Baldry clip brought me back. Used to love that tune, and even caught LJB performing in a small church in New York City back around 1970. (I didn't question at the time what the hell LJB was doing performing in a church, but I certainly am now.)

When my brother and I were kids, we used to crack up over a collection of 78 rpm records we inherited from some uncle or other, which had such great tunes as Louis Jordan's "Open the Door, Richard," Mary Clooney singing "C'mon-a My House," and somebody or other singing "Miami Beach Rhumba" (a tune, as best I can recall, about someone starting out to go to Cuba [back when it was legal!] and somehow ending up in Miami Beach). But it was "Open the Door, Richard," that really got us the most.

User Info Menu

that baldry cut actually got some local nyc airplay at the time...it was deemed as a bit of a comeback...long john was the namesake of elton john

combination of long john and great saxman elton dean

and now for something completely different- here's babs

cheers

User Info Menu

These guys always seemed like they were having a helluva lot of fun, and they could really play. The dancing was the thing. A lot of Western Swing (and bluegrass and folk and blues) tunes have silly lyrics.

Hotclub of Cowtown's Whit Smith is a fine guitarist.

User Info Menu

Here's 4 or 5 Times, sung by not the greatest singer of all times. One of the greatest clarinetists, though. And if it ain't jazz, then I don't know jazz.

User Info Menu

"Four or Five Times" was originally a black song, a hit for Jimmy Lunceford, iirc, though recorded by many.

On the other hand, western swingster Hank Penny wrote and first recorded Wynonie Harris's huge r&b hit "Don't Roll Those Bloodshot Eyes at Me." Cincinnati-based King Records had strong rosters of both CW and RB artists and frequently cross-fertilized.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Here's 4 or 5 Times, sung by not the greatest singer of all times. One of the greatest clarinetists, though. And if it ain't jazz, then I don't know jazz.

Nice! Thanks for that. (I think the singe here is, like Donnie in "The Big Lebowski", out of his element.)

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Speaking of great players busting out some novel vocals...how about Oscar Peterson. I'm guessing this pretty much a take on Dizzy's big band number.

User Info Menu

This is a fun topic. “They Raided the Joint” is the first tune that came to mind.

Since we've got some nods to western swing here.

My latest music heroes: Vilray and Rachael doing this fun original...

A lot of good stuff here on this thread to lighten things up. Thanks for sharing!

User Info Menu

This one appears on a Jamey Aebersold play-along (Volume 23.)

Ella Mae Morse's Cow Cow Boogie is one of my favorites! Great vocalist and such hep, happy tune!

User Info Menu

I love this topic! My personal favorite novelty tune is Blossom Dearie's "Rhode Island is Famous For You":

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcsanwald
    I love this topic! My personal favorite novelty tune is Blossom Dearie's "Rhode Island is Famous For You":

I love this tune! Such fun lyrics: "Pencils come from Pennsylvania / Vests from Vest Virginia / And tents from Tent-e-ssee!"

Blossom is one of my favorite singers.
    Another fun lyric she does is "My Attorney, Bernie." (Not nonsense, but very witty, like "I'm Hip." I think Dave Frirshberg wrote both of them.)

Lorenz Hart wrote some funny lyrics---"Manhattan" and "Give It Back to the Indians" spring to mind.

User Info Menu

Flat Foot Floogie - Slim Gaillard

Quote Originally Posted by pcsanwald

Yeah, this is a fun tune. I got to see Ed Laub sing this with the one and only Bucky Pizzarelli backing him!! Very lucky to witness Bucky play just once in my life.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

seconds on Blossom Dearie "Im hip"...I even call my girlfriend-Man..

But Dave Frirshberg "My Attorney Bernie" is just cool..
    I am blessed
    With my attorney Bernie
    I'm impressed
    With the way he runs the store

He's got Dodger season boxes
    And an office full of foxes
    It's amazing all the different things
    Your average guy might need a lawyer for

Dan Hicks his Hot Licks & the Lickettes..."How can I miss you when you wont go away" is killer..saw them live in a small club..priceless

User Info Menu

Another version of 'Rhode Island,' with guitar:

User Info Menu

Only "almost" a novelty song, with a musical bent:

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Stuart Elliott;902596]Cincinnati-based King Records had strong rosters of both CW and RB artists and frequently cross-fertilized.

ahh..long time back..King Records...I keep seeing Honky Tonk Parts one & two on a blue label..45..Bill Doggett ,,a very hot guitar on that one..Jimmy Smith was the only one I know that could get the feel of that tune

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    ahh..long time back..King Records...I keep seeing Honky Tonk Parts one & two on a blue label..45..Bill Doggett ,,a very hot guitar on that one..Jimmy Smith was the only one I know that could get the feel of that tune

And someone playing along with the recording:

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

This is one of my all-time favorite records. A lot of other people have recorded it (Professor Longhair and BB King among them) but I don't think anyone has ever done it better. Love that riffy sax solo. Just like the werewolf's hair: Perfect!

User Info Menu

I think I'd put Strayhorn's 'Lush Life' in the novelty song category. I know it's become a 'jazz classic' but originally he kept it to himself and only played it for friends and at parties. In the video you can hear the audience grinning along with him so it was probably all a bit of a joke.

So, I think originally it was what might be classed as a novelty song.

And, if it's not really a joke then it should be... otherwise it's time to cut your throat!

User Info Menu

Great song that, Mark, beautifully played too. Perfect timing.

Glad this topic still has a little more life I'll to hear more of Dan Hicks. I've heard of the name but, until I watched the clip that was posted, I hadn't heard how catchy and swinging his songwriting was...cool!

Forgot that I had Oo-Pa-Pa-Da in my music collection and now I've been exploring more Babs Gonzalez, too. Maybe take in some Blossom Dearie and Peggy Lee, too!

User Info Menu

I'll see your Dan Hicks with a John Girton & raise you a hot Epiphone: