The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 49 of 49

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Nah, you're always at them. So mean.
    Must be part of my quantum nature than that the rest of me isn't aware of because in a completely different place.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What's quite extraordinary about Jocelyn Gould is that she was basically a bedroom singer until she was 20. She never left home with her guitar to perform or play with others and she used the guitar mainly as an accompaniment to her voice (based on what I understand from the interview). She decided to learn jazz guitar and by the the she was 25 she was the head of the guitar department in one of the best jazz programs in Canada. Obviously some of the credit should go to her teacher, Randy Napoleon, but she must have been an exceptional student.

I wish there were more females in the jazz guitar world because they tend have a more authentic and pure connection to music. Getting good at an instrument (especially guitar) triggers competitiveness in men. There is always this "look at me, look at me" element that's very distracting from music. Females tend to go right to what matters.

As Christian said, Jocelyn's language seems to consists of traditional and common elements in jazz (in terms of voicings, devices, licks etc) but she uses them with great taste, skill and groove. That takes a lot of confidence in one's innate musicianship.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 12-04-2023 at 04:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar67

They gave Jocelyn an hour on their show, which is a very popular one, exposing her and jazz guitar to a huge crowd that otherwise might have stayed oblivious. Glass half full from where I’m sitting. They were out of their depth regarding the music but I never once felt they were being disrespectful. On the contrary.
    I thought they were very gracious and complimentary (not defensive at all). They meant to be complimenting her intellect with the praise of her theory knowledge (whereas I think many jazz musicians wouldn't take that as much of a compliment as theory is a very small thing as far as all the hours spent learning jazz goes).

User Info Menu

I’ve been a big fan of Jocelyn’s music and her evolution as a player for a while now. She … just … has … it.

I liked the video interview a lot, but jeez, those guys were acting like silly little smitten schoolboys. I doubt they would have carried that vibe had it been an older well-known jazz player, male or female. But my god, the humble, effusive joy she projects about her music and evolution is just stunning and infectious, and I can see how it could do that to anyone who’s around her. She’s got the thing.

BTW, her recent album “Sonic Bouquet” really kicks it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by northernbreed
    I’ve been a big fan of Jocelyn’s music and her evolution as a player for a while now. She … just … has … it.

I liked the video interview a lot, but jeez, those guys were acting like silly little smitten schoolboys. I doubt they would have carried that vibe had it been an older well-known jazz player, male or female. But my god, the humble, effusive joy she projects about her music and evolution is just stunning and infectious, and I can see how it could do that to anyone who’s around her. She’s got the thing.
    Have you seen the first one with Joey Landreth? The guy on the right was wiping away tears. They have had that vibe with others. In

User Info Menu

There are a LOT of STEM people interested in jazz guitar. So this info may important to a lot of learners...

One of the biggest conceptual problems I had to overcome as a STEM type going into music is that there is virtue in doing very repetitive things. In the STEM world you would do anything to not have to do that stuff because we think we are too good/clever for it. As we know as a musician, we have to repeat one thing a LOT for it to be reliable and fully internalised. I still struggle with that.
    When she mentioned studying chemistry I was reminded of the young Jimmy Page playing on a variety show and telling the host he planned to study biological research... @2:30

User Info Menu

Tbf the boys had exactly the same vibe with Graham Coxon, Johnny Marr and Noel Gallagher (although they didn’t ask them about theory haha.) I’ve decided it’s cute.

User Info Menu

It was a joy to watch. I only wish I had not read the sour comments on this thread.

User Info Menu

Stop bullying the particle physicists, it's tacky.

(If you want to bully an astrophysicist, just point out astrophysics isn't really a science. It's basically sociology with stars.)
    As a "jazz guitarist" and part of the team that built Australia's first working field ion microscope I don't know whether to feel bullied or not!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    When she mentioned studying chemistry I was reminded of the young Jimmy Page playing on a variety show and telling the host he planned to study biological research.
    well, in a way he did....

User Info Menu

A big issue for jazz learners tends to be keeping track of the form while improvising.

in many forms of improvisation you’re improvising over some sort of template and you need to keep the latter in your head while also improvising at the same time. Musical multitasking.

How to develop this skill. That’s an interesting question. I don’t actually know how I developed it. I think I sing the melody in my head while playing, perhaps the bass/chord prog. If I lose track of that I get discombobulated. It does happen sometimes. I can’t hear the song… esp on trad jazz gigs where the songs can be quite samey and often you can play a few tunes in the same key lol.
    I still struggle a bit keeping the form in tunes like So What and Impressions...

I'll get by with a little help from my friend Larry...

User Info Menu

I just watched the episode. I've seen a decent amount of That Pedal Show, so I've seen their personalities. Dan (the one in the middle) definitely struck me giddy and overjoyed at her presence, as he's desired to want to learn jazz for a while now. I didn't take it as rude or condescending.

My first takeaway was that Jocelyn is an excellent player. And I was amazed at how far she came in such a short amount of time. Truly impressed.

Another thing that jumped out at me, though, was that her explanations of music theory did seem to get somewhat advanced pretty quickly and I could see how a novice would be lost. I understand that this video format is not a lesson per se, but for an audience that's not familiar with ii V I progressions, it was a lot for those guys to take in. If one is attempting to go from the most basic I IV V 12-bar blues to jazz, maybe a good stepping stone would be talking about chord tones and looking at T-Bone Walker's use of 9th and 13th chords and his jazzier chord substitutions. But she's absolutely right the way to unlock the door to jazz is to find the artists that you can relate to. Also coming from a blues background before jazz, I didn't "get" Bird and Monk initially until I heard Kenny Burrell and Jimmy Smith first.

I'm a frequent watcher of TPS. Mick and Dan are pretty much what you see there except there's usually waaaaay more gear talk about stacking reverbs, delay, chorus, and 9 overdrives through a dual wet/dry rig. Don't ask me what all that means, I'm a bigger fan of plugging in and turning knobs until it sounds like I want. That said, I was very relieved that the discussion was on the music and art. I especially enjoyed the way she described her practice and how she obsessed (my word, not hers) over a simple C scale. I really enjoy seeing how seriously a master of their craft takes the little things (that the rest of us probably speed through). It really highlighted the difference between a jazz virtuoso, and say....me.

User Info Menu

I found the whole thing a bit weird.
    These two middle aged men oohing and ahing over what is expected
    of pro level jazz players like the ebullient Ms Gould - taking great pains
    over the details of producing her ideal beautiful sound and they wringing their
    hands [metaphorically] because they're "not worthy".

What I found so jarring that they were surrounded by this shrine to 'TONE'
    that wouldn't have helped them one bit if they attempted to achieve what their guest
    so obviously has. HER tone!

Still, I do credit them with seeing [hearing] the irony ...but they'll be back to their pedal boards
    next show playing the same things they always play but the pedals in different order etc.

Also, to look on the bright side of life, they are giving a platform to players of different styles, jazz even!
    And this is to be celebrated!

User Info Menu

Her album Elegant Traveller is very nice. She has great tone, woody and rich.

User Info Menu

Stop bullying the particle physicists, it's tacky.

(If you want to bully an astrophysicist, just point out astrophysics isn't really a science. It's basically sociology with stars.)
    What any physicist / musician knows: The universe is a tough room to work!

User Info Menu

My personal favourite: chemistry is just an applied subset of physics. But never to bully

User Info Menu

It’s either physics or stamp collecting

things not to say to your biologist friends

User Info Menu

It’s either physics or stamp collecting
    Nothing wrong with either and glad you left out chemistry

But a flavour that's been known to make real physicists jealous!

User Info Menu

Jocelyn is just so good- for me she's one of the best out there right now at this clear, articulate straightahead style. It's fun to see someone who plays with such a traditional, unfussy jazz guitar rig showcased on one of these gear channels. The interview and this discussion make me want to learn a solo from her!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Nothing wrong with either and glad you left out chemistry

But a flavour that's been known to make real physicists jealous!
    tbh stamp collecting is underrated

User Info Menu

tbh stamp collecting is underrated
    Do you use "May I show you my stamp collection?" to pick up girls (or guys if you want) in English speaking countries as well?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Do you use "May I show you my stamp collection?" to pick up girls (or guys if you want) in English speaking countries as well?
    No, it’s just “I’d love you to view my etchings” followed by “Have some Madeira my dear” (there really is nothing to fear …)

Flanders & Swann had a lot to answer for.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    What woman could possibly resist the combination of physics, stamp collecting and jazz guitar in one man?