The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

MY 2 Cents about the Recordings today... - Carol Kaye Store - carolkaye.com | Facebook

MY 2 Cents about the Recordings today vs. what we used to do:
    How they record today: Musicians are reporting that yes, they do it
    "one-by-one" mostly for recordings if they use musicians, never even just
    recording the full rhythm section like they started to do latter 1960s....

From the start 1957, it was horns with the rhythm together, good
    "back-and-forth" in feelings and room sounds too..... and commonly not with
    arranged music. You heard the demo, or the artist run through the song,
    we'd quickly write down the chords and figure it out what to do to frame
    the song and singer in *that* style....horns could figure out parts
    quickly too. Little by little early 1960s, some arrangers could write some.

We'd do 3-4-5 tunes sometimes in 3 hours, no problem - a whole album in 6
    hours, on coffee (when the rockers started to record their own things in
    the 1970s - still with the help of 2-3 Studio Musicians, it took them
    months to cut an album, they had more than coffee from what I
    heard)..............

More and more arrangers did the chord charts with some simple lines or
    just suggestive lines but they still needed the top-notch Studio Musicians
    to create on top of anything written.....even with full-arranging.

but when it got down to rhythm section tracking only toward the end of the
    1960s.....they all learned something else: To let the rhythm section
    players create so all they had to do was "borrow" our lines, to write
    further horn parts and/or string parts on then, at least part of what we
    all did - not everyone did that but it was common...it sounded very
    "arranged then"....many did that. We didn't mind I'd probably guess an
    opinion, we were making more money than ever in our lives.....all Union.

It's too bad what is happening now....when I saw Beverly Hills Cop early
    1980s...I was so upset hearing the 1-person music score, all synthesizer
    and it was GOOD! I barely saw the movie as I was almost in-tears thinking
    about my fellow-Studio Musicians back in LA (I was out of state then) and
    was telling my friend, "that's the end of the Studio Musicians". - that
    upset me for days, as the synthesizer playing was excellent.........but it
    really wasn't the end tho' it slowed it all wayyy down that and going to
    Europe to do scores.......people still want real sounds but they really
    don't know "what's wrong with the music"....they need all the feelings of
    musicians playing together, not the 1-man synthesizer feelings or the
    add-on one at a time either, there's no "sharing of feelings" with all of
    that, and overall wrong merging of real sounds imo........and don't forget
    the phoniness of auto-tune for singers also -- 1950s and early 1960s
    singers could sing in tune.....

but now?....also there's another problem today......when I had my 2nd
    surgery and could play again 1994, I moved back to LA to resume some
    studio work.....I was shocked to walk in a studio and see engineers
    automatically put on EQ, compression etc. without even hearing the
    musician! I had to re-train many an engineer keep him from doing
    that...when he'd finally hear my sounds, he was amazed that I got the
    right sounds immediately!... ..................

what the......everyone cut me flat with mike on the amp in the 1960s, took
    it possibly 1968, on a few times 1/2 and 1/2 but always the amp won...in
    movie studios it was always the amp sounds....flat. I got the right
    sounds.....you hear engineers adding so much stuff, on re-issues they
    almost get a kazoo sound for trumpet and popcorn sounds for
    drums...yikes....where are their ears today? In live rock n roll
    live-sound mixes?........

our engineers used to walk in the studios to hear us and make sure they
    were faithfully recording our sounds....they knew we knew what sounds to
    get............... We're talking about big bands or small combos, they
    knew how to record us flat and get great sounds.......I know some later
    producers are guilty of not getting the right instrument sounds too, too
    much into the sliders too......and possibly why most of the public swears
    it's better on vinyl....

I don't think so....I've mastered some old recordings for CD in digital
    and yes, you can get those warm sounds with digital of course.........I
    did with one of the toughest instruments hard to record and get the
    original warm sounds of: Ray Brown's string bass, musical drum sounds,
    sounds of great horns etc......but there again I know sounds, what
    instruments should sound like - I'm not a rocker in sounds, played with
    big bands since early 1950s........

anyway, imo the state of the business is that it's slowly coming
    back....but very slowly........ Companies are very spoiled to the
    cheapness of hiring one composer on one synthesizer composing and
    performing the whole score of a movie in the comfort of his apt. studio
    (or doing it cheap in Europe or Canada too)....so while it's improving,
    it'll take more as people are really sick of phony sounds and auto-tune,
    1-man scores, the one-by-one over-dubbing etc....really SICK of it
    all.....they want real musicians, real orchestras, records and movie
    scores the way they used to do them. The feeling that many musicians
    playing together get, and the merging and different spectrum of real
    instrument sounds, "TOGETHER!"

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice perspective from the master, Er, mistress, of studio music.

I would guess things started changing in the early 60’s. The singer-songwriters wanted spare, not lush, arrangements. Then bands decided they wanted to be real bands, e.g., the Byrds, and wanted to more or less produce themselves.

Then there were the wunderkinds who did everything in the studio—Todd Rundgren, Stevie Wonder, etc.

Finally there were the synths and the instrument effects that pretty much put an end to the orchestras and horn sections.

What we see now is a more Balkanized landscape. There are some people and some groups that know what good sound is and make music the old-fashioned way. There are even some rockers that are writing string parts and horn charts.

What goes around comes around. The old days of 12-hours in a studio with coffee and cigs may be gone, but there will still be a market for fresh music made more or less live in the studio.

User Info Menu

She mentions something here (and elsewhere) that is often overlooked: yes, studio musicians read music astonishingly well but part of studio work entails coming up with parts that have not been written out for you.

She's playing bass here on "Hikky Burr" by Bill Cosby. Quincy Jones didn't write out a bass part for Carol. All he told her was "Play E minor."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Then there were the wunderkinds who did everything in the studio—Todd Rundgren, Stevie Wonder, etc.
    Now the technology has moved the studio to the "bedroom". The non-studio musician with much less talent has access to incredible technology at a low price, and can experiment, do take after take, have no worry of a budget. This has brought music recording to "the people". I think this is a wonderful think for the regular joe (like me).

The super talented studio musicains are setting up studios in their houses and recording their parts often alone or with just one other person like the artist are producer.

But there is still some traditional live band recording use of the studio like this video. I find the video but they get into a lot of studio recording talk and guitar gear etc. These studio guys are really into gear.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes

She's playing bass here on "Hikky Burr" by Bill Cosby. ]
    I wouldn’t hold that against her. We all make mistakes.

AKA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AKA

AKA
    hah..i get u..but really..that money she earned went to her kids eatin!!!...she was a young gal with kids...alone...she burned her way as a woman, into the wrecking crew session scene by pure survival instinct & massive talent alone!!

shes great!!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AKA

AKA
    I don't consider that one. I think she sounds great and I always liked that song.

User Info Menu

One aspect which apparently also changed is that in much '60s pop the instrumental music was a rythmic foundation for vocal groups which supplied the hamonies.

User Info Menu

I spent some time as an assistant producer in a local studio in the 70's. Our first tracks would always be the rhythm section - Drums, Bass, Guitar and/or Keys if they were playing chords - and a 'reference' lead vocal, all playing together. Then we'd layer on top of that.

User Info Menu

but when carol began there were only a couple of tracks...the phil spector wall of sound is built on getting a tremendous amount of musicians all playing together on one track and then dubbing the vocals on another track...all 2 or 3 track stuff early on!!...sometimes there were 3 bassists on the date and 4 guitarists..drummer and percussionists...keys..strings..all playing together...why they call it the wall of sound! hah

cheers

User Info Menu

here's similar pic with carol at the fore

pic is generally credited as being a beach boys session...brian wilson was of course huge spector wall of sound fan...used same studio-gold star- and same wrecking crew sessioners..phil loved barney k and carol k

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    but when carol began there were only a couple of tracks...the phil spector wall of sound is built on getting a tremendous amount of musicians all playing together on one track and then dubbing the vocals on another track...all 2 or 3 track stuff early on!!...sometimes there were 3 bassists on the date and 4 guitarists..drummer and percussionists...keys..strings..all playing together...why they call it the wall of sound! hah

cheers
    Dear Sir,

In future no one will be allowed to add to or subtract from a recording of one of my songs without my permission.

I had considered orchestrating The Long And Winding Road but I had decided against it. I therefore want it altered to these specifications:

1. Strings, horns, voices and all added noises to be reduced in volume.
    2. Vocal and Beatle instrumentation to be brought up in volume.
    3. Harp to be removed completely at the end of the song and original piano notes to be substituted.
    4. Don’t ever do it again.

Signed
    Paul McCartney

c.c. Phil Spector
    John Eastman

User Info Menu

Did Carol read the bass lines to the Beach Boys songs, or make up her own? Either way, the bass lines are wonderful!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Did Carol read the bass lines to the Beach Boys songs, or make up her own? Either way, the bass lines are wonderful!
    She usually made up her own.

But here is a case where a part was written for the bass but the music slipped off the stand during the recording and Carol improvised the rest.

User Info Menu

This was a pop song from 1965 (-I remember hearing it as a kid). Carol is playing guitar through the Leslie at Gold Star. She says she doesn't recall whose idea that was.

User Info Menu

Mark, it looks like she didn't make up the lines on Good Vibrations, but credits them to Brian Wilson:

She played them better, though

User Info Menu

Rob, you probably know that Carol Kaye played on an estimated 10,000 recordings, she could read or improvise
    especially when the music sheets fell off the stand! Playing in the Wrecking Crew she covered for Glen Campbell
    apparently calling the changes ( Glen, RIP was not a reader ) On one session backing Sinatra, he was intently watching
    Frank , who asked in the control room " Who is the Fag guitar player staring at me" ? The engineers explained that
    Glen was a Fan ( omitting the fact he couldn't read music, and bluffed through the parts) Carol will be 85 this year and
    has played for 50 years, a phenomenal bassist.

User Info Menu

hah great vid...the best of the wrecking crew right there...hal blaine, carol and tommy tedesco!!..3 funny greats!!

"she was the greatest bass player in the world!"- brian wilson

cheers

User Info Menu

Oh, yes, Alan, I know all about her. Fantastic musician, one of the greatest session players of all time. I have nothing but respect for her, especially a lone woman in what was then a man's game. But I also respect Brian Wilson a great deal too, so it was nice to see her crediting him with the bass line to Good Vibrations.

User Info Menu

and remember...brian wilson had been struck by his notoriously sinister dad- murray- when he was a kid..and was left deaf in one ear!!!..he produced all that wonderful music with hearing in only one ear!

mono indeed!!

cheers

User Info Menu

I did not know that...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Rob, you probably know that Carol Kaye played on an estimated 10,000 recordings, she could read or improvise
    especially when the music sheets fell off the stand! Playing in the Wrecking Crew she covered for Glen Campbell
    apparently calling the changes ( Glen, RIP was not a reader ) On one session backing Sinatra, he was intently watching
    Frank , who asked in the control room " Who is the Fag guitar player staring at me" ? The engineers explained that
    Glen was a Fan ( omitting the fact he couldn't read music, and bluffed through the parts) Carol will be 85 this year and
    Oh Frank, Mr. Politically Incorrect...

We love you anyway, but...

Did he know he had a chick playing bass?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Rob, you probably know that Carol Kaye played on an estimated 10,000 recordings, she could read or improvise especially when the music sheets fell off the stand! Playing in the Wrecking Crew she covered for Glen Campbell
    Funny story about Glenn and Carol. They would have speed contests to see who could play "Tico Tico" faster and she always won. It seems that Leon Russell (who did a lot of session work with both of them) teased Glenn about it years after.

User Info Menu

Oh, yes, Alan, I know all about her. Fantastic musician, one of the greatest session players of all time. I have nothing but respect for her, especially a lone woman in what was then a man's game. But I also respect Brian Wilson a great deal too, so it was nice to see her crediting him with the bass line to Good Vibrations.

Here's a cut of Brian and Carol alone (decades after the original) doing "Good Vibrations," just piano and bass. (The bass is not loud enough on this clip to suit me but what can you do.)

User Info Menu

ps- and just for bass info...carol is a longtime thomastik flats user and endorser

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 01-05-2020 at 06:24 PM. Reason: add-