The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 43 of 43

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaco
    Ed was the Canadian version of Jim Hall, understated, inventive, beautiful harmonic sense...but with a Tele, I always liked that about Ed. and Ted Greene, and Julian Lage, and ....well you get the idea.
    Yeah, back in the day when I first heard him w Paul's band the first thing I thought was wow, he sounds like Jim Hall.
    Kinda makes sense as they're borh "cerebral-economical players" But when you really dig into them you can hear they're their own..

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This guy shows how to play some Ed Bickert solos, he’s done a whole series of these:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    This guy shows how to play some Ed Bickert solos, he’s done a whole series of these:

In the comments section, Pedro claims that Ed used round wound 11s, even though Pedro is using .012 Flats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    Has anyone ever heard mentioned the type strings Ed used - rounds, flats, gauge?
    fwiw, He hated Fender amps! I've read Ed quoted when asked about his amp preference, "anything but a Fender".

User Info Menu

I once read an anecdote about Ed Bickert that he would not take a solo on a tune if he couldn't play the melody (as opposed to sort-of-knowing-the-melody from hearing it etc.). When I read that a few years ago I thought it was really heavy...now that I have more experience it is less heavy, but still interesting.

User Info Menu

there's another radio broadcast recording of bickert with desmond floating around...edmonton '76

that's in addition to pure desmond and the paul desmond quartet live...desmond passed soon after

cheers

User Info Menu

Another player that I believe was understated but incredibly deep and versed like Bickert was Mundell Lowe.

User Info Menu

At around 3:40 this guy says he's playing a Bb7 but it looks like a Bb6 to me?

Hope you like it![/QUOTE]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Naquat
    At around 3:40 this guy says he's playing a Bb7 but it looks like a Bb6 to me?
    Look again, there is an Ab in that voicing

Jens

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JensL
    Look again, there is an Ab in that voicing

Jens
    Yes, he's playing xx678x, so it's Bb13 really. Maybe he meant Bb7 as shorthand for "Bb dominant".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Yes, he's playing xx678x, so it's Bb13 really. Maybe he meant Bb7 as shorthand for "Bb dominant".
    Indeed, I never write out the extensions, that's often not useful anyway.

Jens

User Info Menu

^^^ I haven't been paying attention enough attention to this thread! You are Jens of the videos! I dig 'em. Named my Tele "Ed" after Bickert, too.

User Info Menu

^^^ I haven't been paying attention enough attention to this thread! You are Jens of the videos! I dig 'em. Named my Tele "Ed" after Bickert, too.
    Thanks! I can imagine why you would name it Ed!

Jens

User Info Menu

OK, so if one plays it as a barre chord I see it called a 6th, and if played on the 6, 4, 3, 2 strings a 13th in a triad like that what determines if it's called a 13th or a 6th and does it matter?

User Info Menu

OK, so if one plays it as a barre chord I see it called a 6th, and if played on the 6, 4, 3, 2 strings a 13th in a triad like that what determines if it's called a 13th or a 6th and does it matter?
    xx678x is Ab D G, the b7th, 3rd and 6th of Bb. When you play the 6th and b7th of a chord you can call it:

Bb13
    or
    Bb7/6

(Ted Greene was fond of the second notation.)

Bb6 is a root, third, fifth and sixth, but not seventh. And of course one doesn't need to play every note, especially on guitar.

Bb13 is a root, third, fifth, seventh, ninth, (usually not eleventh) and thirteenth. And of course one doesn't need to play every note, especially on guitar.

The "shell" 13th chord with the minimal notes for a thirteenth flavour is third/sixth=thirteenth/seventh.

User Info Menu

It is a 13th because there is also an Ab (the b7) and that makes the other note a 13th and not a 6th. So it is not just a triad with an added 6th it is a dominant with a 13th.

Jens

User Info Menu

Thank you for the lesson guys !

User Info Menu

Just saw this on YT