The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
Posts 401 to 423 of 423

User Info Menu

i don't think he made it political. not all government is political. some government is just government.

1. he didn't mention left/right, or party.
    2. government already supports the arts.
    3. neither party is calling for the abolishment of the NEA, etc.

this was about adopting policy towards an issue that he believes is going unrecognized/under-appreciated.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumblefingers
    i don't think he made it political. not all government is political. some government is just government.

1. he didn't mention left/right, or party.
    2. government already supports the arts.
    3. neither party is calling for the abolishment of the NEA, etc.

this was about adopting policy towards an issue that he believes is going unrecognized/under-appreciated.
    I find it curious that the large number of student loans made available to those who would study jazz at the university level are not counted as support for jazz. (Not nearly so many schools have degrees in rock or blues performance, for example.)

User Info Menu

Loans are not support. The student is buying the loan. If it's a Pell Grant the loan is backed by the government. The typical Berklee student isn't there on a Pell.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Loans are not support. The student is buying the loan. If it's a Pell Grant the loan is backed by the government. The typical Berklee student isn't there on a Pell.
    Of course they are support. They are provided by the government to people with no job, no work history, and no collateral. They are a colossal form of support. Not every form of music is offered as a major in college and university music departments. Jazz is a major in many of them. (And this means that many jazz musicians get gigs as profs, and many writers of jazz books get sales to libraries with jazz departments.) I don't suppose the typical Berklee student is there on a Pell grant, but, say, the University of South Carolina, where Bert Ligon teaches, that's a different story....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by woland
    Seriously doubt it. JM is rather sharp and inquisitive individual.
    right, and lived in Manhattan for 14 years. a silly accusation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I find it curious that the large number of student loans made available to those who would study jazz at the university level are not counted as support for jazz. (Not nearly so many schools have degrees in rock or blues performance, for example.)
    not sure what you mean. not "counted' by whom?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Of course they are support. They are provided by the government to people with no job, no work history, and no collateral. They are a colossal form of support. Not every form of music is offered as a major in college and university music departments. Jazz is a major in many of them. (And this means that many jazz musicians get gigs as profs, and many writers of jazz books get sales to libraries with jazz departments.) I don't suppose the typical Berklee student is there on a Pell grant, but, say, the University of South Carolina, where Bert Ligon teaches, that's a different story....

some good reasons for that (other forms of music not rising to the level of worthiness for a degree program or even emphasis, that is).

might be an interesting thread on its own.

User Info Menu

right, and lived in Manhattan for 14 years. a silly accusation.
    NY state needs training programs for trades. Here's why they don't have them;

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/every...t-thieves.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    NY state needs training programs for trades. Here's why they don't have them;

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/every...t-thieves.html
    Am missing your point, sorry. Training programs for trades?

User Info Menu

not sure what you mean. not "counted' by whom?
    When it is said that America offers little or no cultural / institutional support for jazz, the number of colleges and universities offering degrees in jazz is not mentioned, nor the employment this provides for jazz musicians, or the funding made available to students. (I don't think many universities have a Blues Department or offer degrees in rock guitar or bluegrass banjo, but very many colleges and universities have jazz programs with prominent directors.) I see that as cultural / institutional support for jazz.

I wonder how many college/ university jazz majors there are right now in the US.

User Info Menu

Am missing your point, sorry. Training programs for trades?
    Carpentry, plumming, machining, etc...

User Info Menu

some good reasons for that (other forms of music not rising to the level of worthiness for a degree program or even emphasis, that is).

might be an interesting thread on its own.
    Maybe but I don't want to start it! I'm happy to let this one wind down. But should another arise, I want to ask up front that we clarify what does and does not count as cultural support. On the face of it, it is hard to argue that the US offers too little cultural support for jazz when it still turns out so many top-flight jazz musicians (and a bountiful harvest of those who are not going to be big draws but who know their stuff and can really play.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Richb
    I just wanted to chime in and say that the "Rock" McLaughlin clip upstream must be the "whitest", "squarest", corniest playing I've heard in yonks. thank you and goonite.
    Evidentally there is a dissenting opinion on your comments about McLaughlin's funk playing.

It's from an interview regarding this track from about the same time

Here's the interview regarding the song.

JAZZ: "Katia" starts like the guitarist is right in the middle of a solo. Scofield is wailing, the band is cooking right behind him -

MILES DAVIS: Not Scofield - that's John McLaughlin. JAZZ: That's John McLaughlin? I didn't know that.

MILES DAVIS: Yeah, of course. John Scofield plays in a different style. He's a muthafucka, but so is John. John is too much.

JAZZ: I hadn't heard that John McLaughlin was back with you.

MILES DAVIS: John McLaughlin is on "Katia" and a reggae tune [Ms. Morrisine]. John was in town.

Not saying any of the funk songs are favorites of mine, but these are 30 years old so it would help to keep it in that context. I'm sure your opinion should carry at least as much weight as the comments from this interview.
    You could also make up some fake Miles Davis quotes about John's "Whiteness" like you did on the other thread for effect.
    Last edited by WESTON; 08-29-2014 at 10:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hemiolacadence
    John is hard to get into. Even Bitches Brew, there's an original master vinyl that probably sounds amazing, just not everyday listening.

Fusion or jazz fusion what we think of it, even diMeola it's not great for the average person (and diMeola is more rock). I think many times jazz fusion musicians miss the feel and I'd even venture to say rock guitarists may better in a better spot to play with feel learning jazz if they remember how they get better.

Everything in music is changing. When I discovered the Dixie Dregs I was a performance major and couldn't believe that more people didn't listen to them, to my roommates bereavement. Ultimately everything will change, people always have and always will do creative stuff. Academia favors putting 12 tone on life support right now I think, as far as new music.

Jam bands are one business model that sustains but really ticket sales are those bands primary product.

Electronica is interesting because it is changing and making other elements obsolete I don't know what will be timeless. If you listen to Pretty Lights sample Etta James' "Finally Got a Hold On You", then the rap song that samples it, the time, while only a few years is enough to where Pretty Lights sounds obsolete. Even with the dismal and uninspiring rap the production makes that version sound better. Listening to what's popular is good for a musician, although I don't go as far to listening to popular stations but I know working musicians who do.
    The only thing this girl samples is herself;

User Info Menu

Best fusion guitar player was Coryell, IMHO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Best fusion guitar player was Coryell, IMHO.
    you mean style wise? Larry has tipped his hat to John guitaristically many times.

I'm a Larry fan BTW. Met him once, cool guy.

User Info Menu

First we heard from John, then Tom Petty, now Gene Simmons. Not just jazz but rock too.

Everything is going digital, online, and nobody wants to pay. Gene Simmons blames the "I want it free and am willing to steal it" attitude on GenX. (I agree. I keep buying CDs, bought one for $29 yesterday, ouch.)

Gene Simmons: 'Rock Is Finally Dead' - Esquire

User Info Menu

First we heard from John, then Tom Petty, now Gene Simmons. Not just jazz but rock too.

Everything is going digital, online, and nobody wants to pay. Gene Simmons blames the "I want it free and am willing to steal it" attitude on GenX. (I agree. I keep buying CDs, bought one for $29 yesterday, ouch.)

Gene Simmons: 'Rock Is Finally Dead' - Esquire
    This was an interesting read.

What stuck with me was his comment about your Americans having a sense of entitlement and no concept of the work , time, and money that may have went into creating music.

Also how in the minds of many, downloading a song is just making a copy and that's it - nothing more, with no moral repercussions. And this is true with so many other activities.

The other big point for me was when he explained that record companies used to help artists go on tour, providing various types of support - but no more.

User Info Menu

Its funny how when the money starts to run out, groups and people that were once together start to turn on one another.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Its funny how when the money starts to run out, groups and people that were once together start to turn on one another.
    They'll do that when the food runs out, too. Technology up, human creativity and art, down. I think Roswell had something to do with it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFour00
    They'll do that when the food runs out, too. Technology up, human creativity and art, down. I think Roswell had something to do with it.
    Some say that there are actually great arch tops in hangar 18!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    Some say that there are actually great arch tops in hangar 18!
    Lol. Careful now Patrick we don't want you to get arrested snooping around Area 51.

User Info Menu

@Patrick, those little grey guys can really play some Jazz.

Saw one with an l-5 doing a rendition of all blues...that li'l guy can cook.