The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 72 of 72
    Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    Quite right.
    You ruffian.

Just points in the melody where lowering the third makes it less chromatic and less dissonant. Just makes it a little less weird.
    It's not exactly a travesty if everything isn't extremely crunchy all the time, I hear you guys play smooth stuff. And if it is, then arrange it however you want to have as much dissonance as you want. What am I, your babysitter?

The whole step right at the beginning, then the spot in m3-4 where what would be 5 #2 3, becomes 5 2 b3.
    Yeah but I go up to the minor major 7 in bar 6. :P
    Last edited by Bobby Timmons; 05-28-2024 at 03:14 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Timmons
    What am I, your babysitter?
    O Captain, my Captain

User Info Menu

Edit: No rag, I didn't choose it to 'find a minor blues to play' what are you talking about. I actually just thought it sounds good and was a cool idea.
    Yes, I know, but it seems to have run into trouble :-)

^ Lol!

User Info Menu

Hmmm - bluesy? fusion? No backing tracks out there, so I made one. Let's give it a try...

^ Yeeah!

Combo version. With no drums because that's how I roll.

Last edited by Bobby Timmons; 05-28-2024 at 04:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Ehhhh

^ Lol why ehh?

User Info Menu

^ Lol why ehh?
    dunno … just didn’t quite settle into it

*shrugs*

User Info Menu

My first try devolved into blues-dad minor pentatonic tomfoolery after I kicked on the OD and invoked the spirit of Dickey Betts...fun, but not "JAZZ". Not sorry

User Info Menu

You CAN do it in major (we have permission)

C7 - F7 - C7 - C7alt
    F7 - F#o - F7 - %
    G7 - % - C7 - %

The minor one's a bit weird, of course, you've got to modify the tune, but he likes it (I think)

Cm7 - Fm7 - Cm7 - C7alt
    Fm7 - F#o - Fm7 - %
    G7 - % - Cm7 - %

User Info Menu

Actually, I don't think the melody and feel for the tune is improved by making it minor. Bobby, the OP, has made a very good job of the solos, nice and rhythmic a la Monk, but that's because he's good at minor blues, not because the melody part in minor is anything special - in my view, anyway. It probably would have happened whatever the melody!

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Bobby, the OP, has made a very good job of the solos, nice and rhythmic a la Monk.
    Thx rag.

I don't think the melody and feel for the tune is improved by making it minor.
    I think it sounds really cool because it changes it in a unique way. Makes it gloomy and dirgey. My premise was never that it sounds better than the original. But if you guys don't like it for some weird reason then I'm done discussing it.

User Info Menu

I've just talked to you over on the Jam site.

Actually, I don't mind gloomy much, I can handle it. But I'm not good at making it edgy :-)

Gotta know how to make it spikey.

User Info Menu

I actually kind of like the idea, though I think it really needs a fairly different treatment from trying to be Monk-ish. Anyway, here's my crack at it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I actually kind of like the idea, though I think it really needs a fairly different treatment from trying to be Monk-ish. Anyway, here's my crack at it.

That's great! Sounds like a Tom Waits song minus Tom.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alpop
    That's great! Sounds like a Tom Waits song minus Tom.
    Yeah, I tried to get Tom for the session but he flaked out and I had to to do it minus him.

Does anyone want to call the next one?

User Info Menu

I thought you said Misterioso?

Ya ok