The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 34

User Info Menu

Here we go, grahambop's first request here.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 78) - O Grande Amor-oga-forum-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here’s a reasonable chart I found in case anyone needs it. The only thing I would change is to make the 2nd chord of each A section an Ab diminished.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 78) - O Grande Amor-be44e144-e473-4e9f-ad73-badfd660a057-jpeg

User Info Menu

As far as I remember, I recorded "O grande amor" 22 years ago with the World Strings Trio - it was the best guitar album of the year-2000.

Live in Rabarbar - The World Strings Trio | Muzyka, mp3 Sklep EMPIK.COM

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 78) - O Grande Amor-wst-2-jpg
    Last edited by kris; 07-13-2022 at 07:59 AM.

User Info Menu

Sounds good kris. Now I need to get on and learn this tune seeing as I chose it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Sounds good kris. Now I need to get on and learn this tune seeing as I chose it!
    Thanks.
    It is not a difficult tune and has a beautiful lyrical melody-tune made for guitarists.
    Good Luck
    Kris
    ps.
    I made my new version with video/today morning/.
    I public it later this evening.

User Info Menu

Yeah I was kidding really, although I find getting the rhythmic feel of the melody right needs some care. I think I’ll do it on my classical guitar, it’s the only way!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Phew, we’re experiencing bossa-nova weather here, too hot to feel like playing guitar at the moment!

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 78) - O Grande Amor-a0756e23-c0f1-4d26-b517-bcc5909a3c5c-jpeg

User Info Menu

I haven't had time to get to this one after gigs on Thursday, Friday and yesterday. And I'll be away from a guitar until next week, which is the longest I've gone without playing in a very long time. I just cleaned and put away my guitars, so I dashed off a gently massaged head - but I don't have time to play with more as we're on our way out the door. Many thanks to Wintermoon, who is once again covering for me this week.

Here's a little bit o' solo samba:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Here’s a reasonable chart I found in case anyone needs it. The only thing I would change is to make the 2nd chord of each A section an Ab diminished.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 78) - O Grande Amor-be44e144-e473-4e9f-ad73-badfd660a057-jpeg
    I'm trying to stay out of the way.... but I remember that Bbma7 in bars 13 and 29 being a Dominant #11 chord, like Bb13#11... some other minor differences . Anyway love all the posts thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    I'm trying to stay out of the way.... but I remember that Bbma7 in bars 13 and 29 being a Dominant #11 chord, like Bb13#11... some other minor differences . Anyway love all the posts thanks
    I think Fred Hersh playing Grahambop\s changes.
    However, there are a lot of versions where there are other changes - that's true...but 29 bar I think is Bbmaj7...in bar 13 is Bb7/dominant/.
    I have to analyze Stan Getz versions-he plays great changes...looks like in 5 bar is B7 instead of Bm7b5...in 11-12 bars is C9...:-)

Last edited by kris; 07-12-2022 at 03:51 AM.

User Info Menu

Pat plays over normal chord changes ...

User Info Menu

Spent a few minutes with the Getz/Gilberto version. Tried to isolate the guitar. Here's what I'm hearing, a few maybe surprises?

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 78) - O Grande Amor-20220712_100434-01-jpg

Big differences would be the F-6 in bar 6...the guitar and bass do not go to an E there. Very specific voicing, D on top.

Bar 23 and 24 are A7b9, no ii V.

Bar 29 is a Bb7, and again, no ii V, straight to an E7b9.

My 2 cents. Great tune. Now I need to learn the melody!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Spent a few minutes with the Getz/Gilberto version. Tried to isolate the guitar. Here's what I'm hearing, a few maybe surprises?

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 78) - O Grande Amor-20220712_100434-01-jpg

Big differences would be the F-6 in bar 6...the guitar and bass do not go to an E there. Very specific voicing, D on top.

Bar 23 and 24 are A7b9, no ii V.

Bar 29 is a Bb7, and again, no ii V, straight to an E7b9.

My 2 cents. Great tune. Now I need to learn the melody!
    Nice work Jeff.
    Fm6 looks like substitute chord for E7#5 with F in bass.

User Info Menu

Greetings from the Cascades! No guitar for 8 more days……I may have to go buy one to survive.

This beautiful melody is so open to innovative chord substitution that I doubt if even those who made the best known recordings can resist a little innovation. The C in the melody that’s held through bar 3 loves a Gm7 because it makes a sus4 out of it. I love the 2nd bar with the G13b9 / Ab, but in my little verse I played it as a partial (Ab F B E) without the 9th because it felt right. Such opportunities abound throughout.

There are several great ideas in this thread - try them all. This is a very educational tune!

User Info Menu

This is a nice version where you can hear the chords very clearly. Bars 5 and 6 as I heard them on the Getz/Gilberto, a good ol Em7 in bar 27, very clear Bb7 in 29.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I haven't had time to get to this one after gigs on Thursday, Friday and yesterday. And I'll be away from a guitar until next week, which is the longest I've gone without playing in a very long time. I just cleaned and put away my guitars, so I dashed off a gently massaged head - but I don't have time to play with more as we're on our way out the door. Many thanks to Wintermoon, who is once again covering for me this week.

Here's a little bit o' solo samba:

Glad to do it nevershouldhavesoldit, I keep saying I'm gonna learn this tune and keep putting it off even after I bought a nice Jobim book last yr.
    The Getz version is my favorite. I think Trane said something like "face it, we all wish we could sound like Stan if we could"

User Info Menu

Finally got this here guit'r back from the shop after a pickup swap and proper setup.

User Info Menu

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 78) - O Grande Amor-o-grane-amor-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Finally got this here guit'r back from the shop after a pickup swap and proper setup.

wzpgsr, you're a solid apple pie genius! That's the best thing I've heard for a long time. Those notes... perfectly wonderful and original. I'm going to transcribe it so I can see what you were up to.

You must take a break more often :-)

* I don't buy cappuccino, half a cup of coffee and half a cup of froth? It's a rip-off!

User Info Menu

Two choruses of improvisation after chord changes modification...:-)

Box

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    wzpgsr, you're a solid apple pie genius! That's the best thing I've heard for a long time. Those notes... perfectly wonderful and original. I'm going to transcribe it so I can see what you were up to.

You must take a break more often :-)

* I don't buy cappuccino, half a cup of coffee and half a cup of froth? It's a rip-off!
    Thanks for the kind words. I do love me some apple pie.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Two choruses of improvisation after chord changes modification...:-)
    Sounds great regardless of which chords you’ve changed! My ear is not terribly sophisticated but Jobim’s changes always have some surprising (yet somehow also logical) moves that make them really fun to listen to and play over.

User Info Menu

Despite the heat, finally managed it! (I recorded the backing first). Actually this is the first time I've used my classical guitar in a video.

User Info Menu

Is E7/F the same as Fo?