The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 140 of 140

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonzo
    You made a good point. I was just being an annoying pedant about the right/left brain stuff.
    Huge skeptic here too. Aristotelian/Platonic. Apollonian/Dyonissian. Jungian dialectic. Yin/Yang. The study of duality is as old as our self reflexion. A few years back Ingrid Jensen, trumpet player mentioned how Jill Bolte Taylor's book changed her life as a musician; the sudden realization of dual approaches. My thesis work is on hemispheric learning, and Iain McGilchrist's publications are compelling for me in that respect. But I'm not here to sell philosophy, just comment on how recognition of two very different visions we possess can be used by us in respecting them both.
    I look at position playing. Sure I'm at home in that realm. And really, when I find myself in the zone, I feel myself thinking differently, hearing differently, using a lyric voice and using the string differently. But that's just me.
    I have found strategies to get into the zone. The frame work of how I do that is grounded in brain discipline. That's all.
    Singing a line, playing along a string, hearing rather than looking at a page, whatever gets you there.

David

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ecj
    The latter is something I can then use in a solo. The former is kind of fun, but how useful is it really to me in the long run? Wouldn't it be more useful to practice learning your intervals really strongly in position playing, so that those skills become second nature to you when you actually perform?
    You do what works for you, really immerse yourself in it and play it for all it's worth. If you ever hit a wall and you wonder how to get past it, you have options. If you ever find yourself comfortable in one approach then you have a choice, enjoy your comfort or look for another door. This is a door. If you aren't attracted or compelled to go through, that's good. It means there's something that makes you YOU.
    Play positions and make your mark. Learn to get around until it's second nature. Do what comes naturally, and for goodness sake don't play single string because somebody in a friggin book says it's a good idea.
    It's just one option. Like using a pick. I think it was Schillinger who said "Genius is the realization of a tendency" so go with what's right and ignore what you don't need now. 's not going anywhere. All the answers are only useful for the one who needs to ask the question.
    David

User Info Menu

If you enjoy the journey of learning, there are always more approaches and techniques to explore.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    Huge skeptic here too. Aristotelian/Platonic. Apollonian/Dyonissian. Jungian dialectic. Yin/Yang. The study of duality is as old as our self reflexion. A few years back Ingrid Jensen, trumpet player mentioned how Jill Bolte Taylor's book changed her life as a musician; the sudden realization of dual approaches. My thesis work is on hemispheric learning, and Iain McGilchrist's publications are compelling for me in that respect. But I'm not here to sell philosophy, just comment on how recognition of two very different visions we possess can be used by us in respecting them both.
    I look at position playing. Sure I'm at home in that realm. And really, when I find myself in the zone, I feel myself thinking differently, hearing differently, using a lyric voice and using the string differently. But that's just me.
    I have found strategies to get into the zone. The frame work of how I do that is grounded in brain discipline. That's all.
    Singing a line, playing along a string, hearing rather than looking at a page, whatever gets you there.

David
    Have you ever read Betsy Edwards' "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain"?

I'm a hack visual artist as well as a hack jazz guitarist, and I got so much out of that book, both in terms of improving my drafting skills and in terms of rethinking how I practice art in general. There's a side conversation on "complete skills" that is pretty interesting, as well.

I know a lot of the hemisphere stuff has been called into question, but however it works there's definitely a way to enter into a less analytical cognitive space where art gets a lot easier and freer.

You might dig it.

User Info Menu

Like I said, the right/left brain thing is a myth, but I do believe that science will soon confirm the "dessert compartment" in the human stomach.
    Last edited by Jonzo; 06-17-2014 at 08:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Like I said, the right/left brain thing is a myth, but I do believe that science will soon confirm the "desert compartment" in the human stomach.
    You're saying that there's a dry, hot, sandy section in the stomach?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    I'd forgotten how much I hate string noise."
    Do they even MAKE flats for nylon? Gotta try some spray!
    David
    LaBella Professional: 500P (stainless) and 410P (IIRC) which are copper. Gene Bertoncini uses the latter. You may like them if you're playing amplified. Acoustically....meh.

Chuck

User Info Menu

Have you ever read Betsy Edwards' "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain"?.
    This wasn't addressed to me but I bought and enjoyed that book.

User Info Menu

Working on the basics is never done. You know, every spring, baseball players go into training starting with the same things they started with when they were 10 years old, same with Karate practitioners. In any good karate class, the black belts work out with the beginners and intermediates dropping out when their level is reached, until only black belts are left. Mickey Mantle always got to the pregame workout early, to play pepper and take lots of practice swings.

The unitar concept is a great way to teach beginners not to be afraid of the high positions, and is a valuable tool for securing your ability to jump to far-away notes or chords when the inspiration strikes. Mickey Mantle always got to the pregame workout early, to play pepper and take lots of practice swings.

User Info Menu

Have you ever read Betsy Edwards' "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain"?

Thanks! I love that book, and each time I pick it up I wonder "Why can't somebody write a Guitar book like this?" That, and The Art Spirit by Robert Henri. Both ongoing examples that great lessons come from places you might not think to look.
    David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by monk
    I'm glad I'm not the only annoying pedant.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by monk
    You've had her cooking too, then, eh?
    David

User Info Menu

I'm glad I'm not the only annoying pedant.
    ......and laden with rare spices and fine oils the caravan of camels marched into the dessert.

User Info Menu

Well, I changed the spelling in my post about dessert. So if you delete your post about my post, I'll delete my post about your post about my post...

Oh, forget it.

User Info Menu

Well, I changed the spelling in my post about dessert. So if you delete your post about my post, I'll delete my post about your post about my post...

Oh, forget it.
    Where's the fun in that?