The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Posts 251 to 275 of 432

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rave
    I actually have the cassette but no way to play it. I may try to find a player that converts to MP3. I was lucky enough to get the cassette from Jake Hanna's wife who works on my son's basses. It was given to her by Herb when the book came out.

I will see what I can do. I mostly play straight blues stuff, but it never hurts to expand.

Rave
    Great story! Jake and Herb made some great music together. (So did Jake and Joe Pass.) I'd love to hear that tape someday, though I have no idea how to transfer cassettes to mp3 files.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pants
    I like the multiple positions approach. Might be a cool way to come at this learning in chunks sort of project to get like 3 different fingerlings down for each bit and then work the next week work on 3 fingerlings for the next bit and put them together in different combos. Would be sort of a fretboard masterclass. Don't know if I have the time for that intensity though.

This may be biting off more than we can chew. For one thing, some lines are well suited to a single position and will be mostly used when one is in that position. Some lines are pretty easy to shift from one shape to another but not so easy to shift to still another. One advantage of the shape system is that you DON'T (tend to) play the same lines out of every shape.

Shape 3 is the oddest one for me. But over time, I've found it useful. There are some great lines played out of that shape in "Rhythm Shapes" and "All the Shapes You Are." It's also good shape for a blues in G because you have the root on the B string at the 8th fret and the 3rd and 5th are handy on the high E string.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Great story! Jake and Herb made some great music together. (So did Jake and Joe Pass.) I'd love to hear that tape someday, though I have no idea how to transfer cassettes to mp3 files.
    Cassette to MP3 would just be a case of plugging audio out from a cassette into a PC recording software and pushing play. Then splice to tracks as needed. A bit cumbersome. But not complicated.
    Regarding the positions thing, yeah I didn't actually mean to say that'd be ideal here. But it'd be a cool long term exercise with a choice solo to not only learn it in different positions, but also in shifting positions up and down and all over the place.

User Info Menu

Another possibility is to take one or two shapes and milk them. In the "Blues Shapes" book, the first blues solo Herb plays ("2 Shape Blues", I think) is all played out of just two shapes.

When I started learning the solos in "Swing Blues" I knew what the shapes were but I didn't focus too much on them while playing the lines. (Yeah, that's right, I ignored sound advice...) Now I'm focusing on the shapes and the scale fingerings that go with them. It's helping. (And they said I was beyond help! ;o)

User Info Menu

For listening practice...
    Herb has many great blues recordings, but the album "Nothing but the Blues" features a stellar lineup and steady diet of delicious blues tunes.
    In particular today I was grooving on his version of Royal Garden Blues (a Charlie Christian classic)

User Info Menu

For listening practice...
    Herb has many great blues recordings, but the album "Nothing but the Blues" features a stellar lineup and steady diet of delicious blues tunes.
    In particular today I was grooving on his version of Royal Garden Blues (a Charlie Christian classic)
    I love that recording! That take of "Royal Garden Blues" is among Herb's greatest performances, in my view. The solo---and it's a long one---is transcribed in a recent book:
    Amazon.com: Best of Herb Ellis: Artist Transcriptions for Guitar (9781480383647): Herb Ellis: Books

I have this on the mp3 player I carry on walks, so I hear it at least once a week, sometimes four-five times. Never get tired of it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbone

I worked through the fingerings and exercises of both books today ("Blues Shapes" and Swing Blues"); they're essentially the same, and I'd be fine to work with both books. That being said, I think "Blues Shapes" would be the easier start as it focusses on two shapes first. I think "Swing Blues" would come later if one'd play through the material in a chronological order, but I'm not sure whether this is correct. If I (or someone else) could find a way to convert the "Blues Shapes" MC into a mp3.-file, it'd be great...
    "Blues Shapes" is simpler to start with but the book is out of print, so it's hard to find. And even though I found it---took some doing---I didn't find the cassette, so I haven't heard Herb play those pieces.

User Info Menu

My Internet's been out most of the week. Repair people are out in the yard again today. Some problem with an underground cable. Hope to be back to normal functioning here soon.

Anyone else care to post a take of the first four bars of Herb's "Blues in C" solo?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbone
    Hi!

Just as I wanted to produce and upload a fancy clip of myself playing the first 4 bars against a BT, my PC said no... typical. However, as I won't have much time to fix this problem within the next few days and I don't want to miss the deadline, I asked my daughter to film this clip whith my mobile. I hope I got my PC problems solved until next time and that this'll do for now. I really appreciate that we can do this in small chunks, because I find it kind of hard to really get into the Herb Ellis mindset, and I'd like to really get down what I learn instead of playing "monkey see, monkey do"! To point out the obvious, TAB's a helper, but really visualizing the shapes and use the ears seems key to get this down...

Looking forward to the next step in this musical journey, until then,

greetings,

T.

Blues in C 1-4 - Dailymotion-Video

Nice start! I think you might be adding a beat in before the chord hits in bar 4. The timing on these is a bit awkward there especially without metronome or backing track. That bit and the triplet/descending arpeggio part were the sticking points for me in these bars.

User Info Menu

Nice, pants!

Glad to see more people posting.

User Info Menu

I'm in !!
    Do we have an assignment ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    I'm in !!
    Do we have an assignment ?
    Mark posted a proposed schedule back a bit. Doing 4 bars a week. Initially as proposed the first 12 bars would be "due" this coming Monday. For my purposes, I get kind of limited and unpredictable time, so I'm just getting in chunks when I can. Personally I'm trying to work a chorus at a time. The point is just to share and have a forum to discuss any issues or insights.

User Info Menu

Can someone re post the "assignments" and timelines. I would love to jump in.

User Info Menu

Can someone re post the "assignments" and timelines. I would love to jump in.
    It was just 4 bars a week. Bars 1-8 would have been "due" yesterday. First 12 bars due the 23rd. The Monday thing is arbitrary, as is the 4 bar thing. Just jump in and post what you can.

User Info Menu

It was just 4 bars a week. Bars 1-8 would have been "due" yesterday. First 12 bars due the 23rd. The Monday thing is arbitrary, as is the 4 bar thing. Just jump in and post what you can.
    Which song ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Which song ?
    "Blues In C", the first solo in Herb's book "Swing Blues."

User Info Menu

Which song ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ha! Guess that'd be a minorly important detail. Be nice if we could do some kind of "sticky" post that showed at the top of each page. Put the details of the project or whatever up with some degree of permanence. But yeah, what Mark said.

User Info Menu

Thanks

User Info Menu

Ha! Guess that'd be a minorly important detail. Be nice if we could do some kind of "sticky" post that showed at the top of each page. Put the details of the project or whatever up with some degree of permanence. But yeah, what Mark said.
    I'll amend the OP. I think that still shows at the top of every new page.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I'll amend the OP. I think that still shows at the top of every new page.
    It doesn't when I use Tapatalk on my phone, which I do 99.5% of the time. It's not a huge deal, but would be helpful in threads like this with "instructions" that can get easily lost.

User Info Menu

Hhmm, I'll put the schedule in signature, updating it weekly. See how that works. Stay tuned!

User Info Menu

I will have my 12 bars ready for Monday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Hi there. I have Swing Blues on order, ready to start on 23rd Jan, if all goes to plan.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cjh
    Hi there. I have Swing Blues on order, ready to start on 23rd Jan, if all goes to plan.
    Great. Don't freak out about deadlines. It's more important to get involved / post something than it is to do it by a particular time. It's not like school where you lose points for turning in an assignment let. This gig is pointless! ;o)

User Info Menu

Herb says to keep the shapes in mind while playing the solo. I found this pretty hard to do until I had the lines memorized to the point of playing by muscle memory. At that point visualizing the line laying on top of the basic chord shape is an interesting practice. I'm not sure it's fundamentally different from playing around a certain scale in the position, but does give a bit more focus to key tones without having to devote as much on-the-fly thinking to breakdown of the chord in a theory sense.