The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 53 of 53

User Info Menu

I used D'Andrea picks first because they were everywhere here in the shops in all forms and kinds

Then I liked 1,5 mm extra heaavy Black Ice - it is not thick but extremely hard... what I still like about it is strong punching attack but still very bright

I used small Ultex Jazz III for a few years... I like that it gives a good control and also very even attack sound - fat enough, but sometimes I felt like I wanted it to be a bit more flexible.

The thing is when I play I bend the pick a bit - not all the time but at some momets... I cannot explain why .. maybe it gives kind of 'spring effect'

a couple of months ago the guy from whom I took master-class gave me just as a gift this 'Zoller' pick... he was close with Zoller last years of his life and had about dozen of them from him...

The pick is thin - it has no indication - but I believe maybe 1,1-1,2 mm or so... and the material is dense and hard but it is elastic enough at the same time...
    The form is kind of raindrop... between regular standard and small picl size

First I just kept it as a souvenir.. but then tried once, then once again... now I use it exclusively on electric... for acoustic it seems to be too soft for me...
    Attached Images Attached Images What a difference a pick makes...-2016-07-18-17-33-38-jpg 
    Last edited by Jonah; 08-17-2016 at 06:32 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

One of my Christmas stocking stuffers last year was a sample pack of Dunlops. I ended up liking the purple (1.14mm) and blue (1.0mm) Tortex picks.

What a difference a pick makes...-tortexheavy-jpg

Prior to that I'd been using Dunlop nylon picks, but I was getting annoyed with the 'snap' they'd make coming off the strings.

User Info Menu

I've noticed a similar thing. Back when I was in bands, I used the Fender Extra Heavy confetti picks (351 shape), later, I was stuck on 1.52 mm (and 2 mm ?) small white teardrop Clayton picks. Then, it was black and red Jazz III. For years. Then Ultex Jazz III. After that, I got my Wegen Fatone. But, I found that it was too "chirpy". Then, I ended up getting stuck on the JD208 (nice!). Tried JB vegetable ivory picks (they're not bad) and Chicken Picks. The Chicken pick had too much handling noise. Plus, I don't support smoking (there is an icon of someone smoking on the pick). It seemed hypocritical for me to even be holding it. Then, I was using Clayton/Fender NuTone/True-Shell protein picks.

Now, I'm back to the Ultex Jazz III's! Great size. Comfortable. I can strum and pick single note lines. And, the (1.5 mm?) Ultex has plenty of bite on the acoustic (not mushy, like some others) without being chirpy.

I'm considering a Blue Chip because the sound great, are very durable, and play well. My reservations are the price and whether or not the attack would be too soft as my only pick...