The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I think that might have to be the name of my next project... the Pachouli Tones...

What you have described is not a million miles away from one of my projects actually haha.
    Actually - if you put a cool groove underneath it - ( come on -have SOME of the polyrhythms land on the "1") it could be super cool.

Something you mentioned in another thread the " scaryness" - remember to use the " boldness" of the Gypsy Picking Attack on some of the improv..on electric.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robertkoa
    Actually - if you put a cool groove underneath it - ( come on -have SOME of the polyrhythms land on the "1") it could be super cool.

Something you mentioned in another thread the " scaryness" - remember to use the " boldness" of the Gypsy Picking Attack on some of the improv..on electric.
    Well this is the sort of thing I get up to in my own group, jazzy/world fusion:

It's more North African than Indian, but hey... Bear in mind Oud players also use Gypsy picking...

Also a Balkan jazz fusion

Who said Maccaferri's are just for gypsy jazz?

Anyway, like I say the whole thing is very Pachouli, I think it's the type of music the awful world music & yoga bloke who lives upstairs in High Fidelity would listen to haha... ;-)
    Last edited by christianm77; 01-23-2016 at 04:37 PM.

User Info Menu

I remember a couple of years ago when one passionate forum member wrote that he did not care about tone, and was much more concerned with the notes chosen and the expressiveness of the playing.

I am the opposite - I need at least good tone to caress my eardrums, after all, part of listening to music to me is to get a good, pleasurable ear massage.

I lump the subject of guitar tone in the same category as voice quality of singers. Now with the voice, I can be a little more forgiving. I recall hearing several singers in my time whose voices seemed strained and damaged with the various self-destructive indulgences of life coupled with damage from everyday things like acid reflux (as one of them told me) from a damaged stomach or from daily screaming at ill-behaved children. But, the expressiveness - the pain, the joy, the fear - they could project in their voices were mesmerizing. It was not very pretty - but it was mesmerizingly and hauntingly beautiful.

User Info Menu

By the way, words I have heard for tone:

Cavernous, Hollow, Throaty, Woody, Sterile, Hi-Fi, Artificial...

Of these, only "woody" tone sounds good to me, although a "throaty" Blues song can be nice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Well this is the sort of thing I get up to in my own group, jazzy/world fusion:

It's more North African than Indian, but hey... Bear in mind Oud players also use Gypsy picking...

Also a Balkan jazz fusion

Who said Maccaferri's are just for gypsy jazz?

Anyway, like I say the whole thing is very Pachouli, I think it's the type of music the awful world music & yoga bloke who lives upstairs in High Fidelity would listen to haha... ;-)
    That is some cool Music...sounds like lighter strings on the Mac...Violinist is creating a cool effect with those vibratos in the Unison parts .
    You need to do that stuff with the Patchouli Girl Dancers...
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 01-23-2016 at 10:42 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robertkoa
    That is some cool Music...sounds like lighter strings on the Mac...Violinist is creating a cool effect with those vibratos in the Unison parts .
    You need to do that stuff with the Patchouli Girl Dancers...
    Thanks man!

Richard's a very original player. I really like playing with him. He's coming more out of Jean Luc Ponty and Didier Lockwood I would say.... He plays a fair bit wit Nicholas Meier, who is currently playing with Jeff Beck, so there is some of that jazz rock vibe, alongside folk.... He's not a traditional gypsy jazz guy for sure!

Can't remember what strings I was using at that point. Argentines only come in two gauges - .11 or .10 so it was one of those. My strings have got lighter though, over time...