The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

I have one. It is a reissue of the '64 ES175 with Grover machine heads, bridge and a larger switch.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Steve Howe ES-175 marked the re-introduction of the zigzag tailpiece. It also saw the return of plain laminated maple to the ES-175. It has the gradated sunburst of 1964 with more red in it. A tuner tip is used for the switch selector. The bridge base is MoP bowtie inlaid ebony from the L4CES/L5CES. It is notable for the shallow neck profile of Steve Howe's own 1964 ES-175, not the meatier 1959 neck nor the baseball bat of the 1958.

The neck profile is its biggest differentiator. I don't recall if the pickups are the Classic 57s.

It is a fine ES-175. It was unique in its day for looking the way it did, like a 1964 ES-175 replica. Gibson has since used the zigzag tailpiece and plain maple in later ES-175s. But before the Steve Howe ES-175, the zigzag tailpiece was history and had not been used in new guitars since it was discontinued in the 60s.

My Gibson ES-175 Steve Howe Model showed up!

It's everything I dreamed it would be. I've been around long enough to know it's sometimes cheaper to spend more and get what you really want. That was definitely the case this time.

I had to do a quick setup when it arrived, but the action is super low, it plays like a dream and it just sounds fantastic.

Thanks to all for their feedback
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson ES-175 Steve Howe Model Opinions?-gibson-es-175-small-jpeg 

User Info Menu

Presumably, like Steve Howe, you're setting it up with the following string gauges : 12, 12, 16, 26, 40, 50 ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray175 View Post
    Presumably, like Steve Howe, you're setting it up with the following string gauges : 12, 12, 16, 26, 40, 50 ?
    Is that what he really uses? That would feel really weird.

Love the look of the guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray175 View Post
    Not with these little wimpy rock and roll fingers!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason S View Post
    Is that what he really uses? That would feel really weird.

Love the look of the guitar.
    Thanks. I love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hogrider16 View Post
    My Gibson ES-175 Steve Howe Model showed up!

It's everything I dreamed it would be. I've been around long enough to know it's sometimes cheaper to spend more and get what you really want. That was definitely the case this time.

I had to do a quick setup when it arrived, but the action is super low, it plays like a dream and it just sounds fantastic.

Thanks to all for their feedback
    I'm still enjoying my '85 175 that I bought new.

Now that I have some of the "nicer" more expensive Gibson archtops as well, I can compare them and IMHO a good 175 can hold its own with L5s and Super 400s and other archtops of a similar reputation ....

And I think of all that money I could have saved

User Info Menu

I saw Steve Howe promoting this guitar at a show in Long Island when this guitar was being introduced. and one feature of it stuck with me--the beautiful, rich finish on it. Only one other poster mentioned it, but the color had a definite vintage vibe to it, more of a "caramel" look to the lighter hues of the sunburst. It was not the color of the contemporary ES-175, nor was it the color of the first generation ES-165 Herb Ellis model I got when it was introduced. It looks like an homage to the 60s that Gibson absolutely nailed. Congrats on a sweet acquisition.

User Info Menu

Nice! Not that it is that important, but I like the burst you have better than the studio pic. To me, on the studio pic, the transition from black is too sudden and uniform, especially with the red element it has. I like yours a lot more.
    There is a similar red tinge in the burst on the 2015 ES-175D '54 reissue. On that model they call it a "Jim Dickinson Burst".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    They are nice guitars. Essentially a modern (thick plated) ES-175 with a zig-zag TP, an L-5 Bridge (in Ebony) with Grover tuners and a weird selector switch. I would not pay a premium for one over a regular ES-175 from the same year. The Grovers add sustain and the Ebony, full contact bridge add brightness.

Like all modern 175's they come from the factory with 10's. IMO, they sound better for jazz with heavier strings and some tweaks are involved to get them playing their best.
    Thanks for this info. A friend of mine is selling one and I was curious if it was a lighter build like a real '64 or a heavier build for a rock guy...