The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

Hi everyone , I have played for many years as a bluesy type player using the curvy part of the pick. I cannot even remember when I started to do this. I have been trying to play jazz for the last few years and wondered if some of the teachers or more advanced players could tell me if they think this will cause me problems as my jazz skills develop. I just feel I get a nicer tone this way, I also like the way the pick seems to just glide off the strings easily. Most guitar teachers and method books seem to tell you to use the pointy bit. I have no great interest in becoming a speed player although an occasional fast run is nice when done tastefully. Thanks in advance for any help you guys and gals can give me.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nah, lots of people played with the rounded edges of pick for jazz. Or you can just get a pick that has a rounded instead pointy edge, like the Dunlop jazz tone 204 for example.

Hello Hallpass, nice to meet you. Please could you tell me some players who used the pick in this way so I could check them out. Thank you for your advice.

User Info Menu

Oh, I can't provide specific players who do. I just know its fairly common in jazz.

Thanks Hallpass, does anyone else know of players who use the pick this way?

User Info Menu

George Lynch (Dokken, Hard Rock) talked about it in an interview. Stevie Ray Vaughn and Scot Henderson were also purported to use the side of the pick. I also seem to remember one of our advanced forum members using what seemed to be the side of the pick in one of his videos.

I tried using the side of the pick and it was inspiring the way the pick just slid from string to string. But alas, I am used to using the pointed side and I have adjusted my attack to ensure only the very tip hit the string.

I thought about converting to the side method, but I just don't have enough time and experience to divert away from learning to play songs.

User Info Menu

I think you will find that pick styles vary pretty widely here as reported by pros and hobbyists alike. Some of it due to the styles they play and a lot f it just personal comfort and preference. There was a recent thread if you do a search where somebody posted a comprehensive review and description of lots of picks (boutique picks I think is the thread) and there are lots of comments there about picks, probably more than you need or want, lol. Check it out.

User Info Menu

Pat Metheny.

User Info Menu

I think Pat used to-and I can't tell from the camera angles, I don't know about now, but hey it's jazz. There's no proper way to do anything if you can find some personal way that let's you be you more effectively.
    David

User Info Menu

I grew up playing of R&B and Funk I didn't realize it until others pointed it out to me I use the side of the pick when playing rhythm, then rotate to the pointy end for single line. I've always used the bigger teardrops and subconsciously developed the habit of using my middle finger to rotate the pick. Since moving to Jazz I don't seem to be doing it much, but I'm not doing a lot of funky 16th rhythms these days.

Another trick I was shown by some funk and acoustic players was using thin picks that will flex and glide over the strings for rhythm, then for single note push on the pick hard with the thumb against index and middle finger to bend the pick and make it stiff like a heavy pick.

Lots of pick tricks out there, bottom line is does it work for you. If you get a good sound and can manoeuvre easily then it's a good technique for you.

Well thanks for posting that clip TruthHertz, whichever bit of the pick he is using it does the job , what incredible playing from both musicians. I am not sure if I have been inspired to get better or if I should just go and throw my guitar in the canal across the road. Boy do I have a lot to learn.

User Info Menu

's all in there. Just gotta work until you can let it out!
    It's a good journey-have fun

David
    Last edited by TH; 06-01-2014 at 04:58 PM.

Well TruthHertz, its time for bed here in England, it has been a pleasure talking to you but I need my beauty sleep so good night , I hope we can talk again soon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz

I think Pat used to-and I can't tell from the camera angles, I don't know about now, but hey it's jazz. There's no proper way to do anything if you can find some personal way that let's you be you more effectively.
    David
    From things I've read and pictures I've seen Pat has a very strange way of holding the pick. He grabs the back end of standard pick between his thumb, index and middle fingers. He has the point sticking outward like its extends out from his fingertips. Then he also palms his pick a lot.

User Info Menu

Bireli Lagrene

User Info Menu

Well he's kind of a hack but I hear that coolvinny guy plays with a pick with a rounded edge (actually, three symmetrical rounded edges, so any of them work).

User Info Menu

I find that when I use the edge of the pick it can have a scratchy sound, but the pick slides over the strings easier.

User Info Menu

I use the side of my pick always. I never liked the sound or feel of the pointed end.

User Info Menu

My goodness. So many great players that are fast and fluid use the side of the pick. I was watching a Hard Rock guy last night ( Michael Schenker) who also has a fast, fluid style and lo and behold, even he used the side of the pick.

I have seen you, and a couple of other accomplished players on this forum, throw in those super fast runs and here again, all of you used the side of the pick as well, and/or Benson style picking.

I wish I would have known about this when I first started.

I am starting to think I missed the boat on this one.

User Info Menu

I don't know. It seems the pointed end has a tendency to catch and go deeper between the strings. The curved end can more easily glide on top. The pointed end is sharper and more aggressive sounding, probably because of this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    The pointed end is sharper and more aggressive sounding, probably because of this.
    Aggression.

In my preliminary attempt to convert to playing with the side of the pick, the first thing I noticed was the effect on my ability to play hard and aggressively.

It seemed I had to use much more pressure to get a louder sound than I would using the pointy part of the pick. Even Michael Schenker reportedly said that he broke strings with his technique. I can see how this could be true, at least in my inital forays to using the side of the pick.

I am sure it can be overcome, but there does appear to be a compromise one has to deal with.

User Info Menu

Django would sometimes play using suit-coat buttons.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz

David
    Is Goodrick playing without a pick? That is the ultimate. Never mind the choice of weapon. Listen to them play. Sublime!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    I grew up playing of R&B and Funk I didn't realize it until others pointed it out to me I use the side of the pick when playing rhythm, then rotate to the pointy end for single line. I've always used the bigger teardrops and subconsciously developed the habit of using my middle finger to rotate the pick.
    Same here. But I started doing it intentionally for funk and reggae strumming as a kid to not wear down the tip as fast to save cost. Then I started liking the tonal variety it gave me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ecj
    Django would sometimes play using suit-coat buttons.
    Did he always use a button? I wonder how big? Hmm, you'd never worry about whether youve got the pick turned the right way... Also, the holes woulda helped for grip!