The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

I am new both to here and to jazz guitar. I am struggling to get the right sound out of my old Fender Mustang amp and am starting to realise that I will need to buy something more suitable if I want to progress. The trouble is, jazz amps are expensive and if you want to buy them used, because they come up so rarely you have to buy them without trying them. There is nothing available locally and even living in a big city like Glasgow local guitar shops do not stock them. Are there any risks in buying either a Henriksen or a Mambo amp second hand?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The point of amps like Henriksen and Mambo is they are portable, well built and sound good in loud, live settings, especially with archtops and acoustic instruments.

If you are at a stage where you are mostly practicing at home, these amps aren't even in the top 10 in the list of amps for that purpose.

User Info Menu

Welcome - both to the forum and the world of jazz guitar!

I am also based in the UK and I have experience of both Mambo and Henriksen amps. Both are great, in my book.

I wouldn't say that there are any particular risks of buying these amps used over and above the risks of buying any other amp. I would just recommend the usual due diligence - asking about provenance, use, any issues etc. and buying from reputable people. My guess is that most Henriksen amps in the UK will have been bought from Mak's in London - at least those bought in the last few years. Most if not all Mambo amps will have come directly from Jon Shaw (the chap who makes them).

I am not aware of any 'issues' that are endemic with Mambo amps nor with the latest generation of Henriksen amps. They are relatively tamper proof, I should imagine, and I can't imagine they would be prime candidates for bootlegging.

They are very well made with high quality components. They are relatively straightforward, especially compared to digital or modelling amps. I doubt they are as easy to repair or service as a hand-wired valve amp - but I don't think they are as prone to needing repair or service

Hope that helps a little

User Info Menu

ps - for a cheaper, and more widely available, alternative: you could take a look at the DV Mark Jazz or Little Jazz. It is a bit of step down quality-wise, in my view and experience, from the Mambo or Henriksen. But it is a good starting point for a solid state 'jazz' amp. I had one for a few months a few years ago and I liked it well enough, but thought the tone was a little too dark for my tastes. Depending on what you are after, though - that might suit you.

User Info Menu

Hey Brodie, welcome to the Forum, and to the fabulous world of jazz guitar!

As others are saying, both amps are great, as are many others on the market! Back to your OP, however... you don't need a new amp in order to progress, you need to study, practice, and play with others! I'm a fan of having a good teacher (rather than "youtube" or something), so hopefully you're working with someone.

And have fun!

Marc

User Info Menu

Keep struggling to get a sound from your existing amp. Let your ears guide you and keep tweaking those knobs. The struggle will be worth it even if your amp doesn't allow you to achieve the sound you're chasing.

And good luck - there's a lot of awaiting you

User Info Menu

I agree to keep working to get a good sound from you current equipment.

And, I'd offer this. The Crate GFX15 sold new for under $100. And, I see them used quite often for under $50.

One of the best sounds I ever got on a gig was that amp mic'ed through a PA.

I think it's a fine amp for practice. At 12 watts, it's not loud enough for a lot of gigs. As good as a Henriksen or Mambo? No. But, you'll still have most of your money.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie
    I am new both to here and to jazz guitar. I am struggling to get the right sound out of my old Fender Mustang amp and am starting to realise that I will need to buy something more suitable if I want to progress. The trouble is, jazz amps are expensive and if you want to buy them used, because they come up so rarely you have to buy them without trying them. There is nothing available locally and even living in a big city like Glasgow local guitar shops do not stock them. Are there any risks in buying either a Henriksen or a Mambo amp second hand?
    See post #4 about the Mustang here: Want GREAT jazz tone on a budget ? (jazzguitar.be)
    Also there's a Peavey Bandit on fb marketplace in Johnstone £70. (not far for you?)

User Info Menu

I am new both to here and to jazz guitar. I am struggling to get the right sound out of my old Fender Mustang amp and am starting to realise that I will need to buy something more suitable if I want to progress. ...
    You don't say whether you're new to guitar, or just new to jazz guitar. You might be better served by a general purpose amp rather than a specialty "jazz" amp, which can be a one-trick pony.

I'd suggest that you look into a Boss Katana combo. The Katana 50 Mk. II (50 watts, 1x12) is about US$230, and its bigger brother the Katana 100 Mk. II (100 watts, 1x12) is about US$380. I looked on the Anderton's website, and it appears that the Katanas are available in the UK, so maybe you can find one nearby to try. Prices at Anderton's are about the same numbers as the US prices, but in pounds. The amp is generally well-regarded, and seems to be a pretty good value for money.

(I agree, btw, with the positive evaluations of the Peavey Bandit. I've had one for years and enjoyed using it. I'm getting a bit too long in the tooth to move it around, though - it's heavy.)
    Last edited by dconeill; 03-29-2024 at 10:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Welcome Brodie,
    i would think that there's always some additional risk in buying things second hand. If you are cautious to restrict yourself to buying only "stuff" which obviously has been treated well you can minimize this risk. I'm a big fan of Mambo amps, own a 8" and a 10" wedge, never had any problem with them and believe that Jon Shaw, who builds them would provide a good service if anything would go wrong with the amp. I would also recommend trying to play it with an archtop, this might bring you even closer to the desired jazzsound.

Thanks for the welcomes and advice. I have been playing guitar on and off for years, mostly fingerstyle folk. Trying to learn jazz guitar is a retirement project, it's enjoyable but really frustrating, some of those chord shapes you lot make are pretty demanding, not to mention the rhythm. It is like learning from the beginning all over again.

User Info Menu

I was one of the first Mambo buyers. I think I took delivery of my Wedge 8 in January 2012. I used it a lot for the first 5 years or so, but have always used it on and off over the years including recently. Here we are 12 years later and, other than the volume pot being a bit noisy if I adjust the master volume, it's still works as good as new.

User Info Menu

I don't have experience with Henriksen, but I heartily recommend Mambo amps to you. I have 10" wedge one and it's really great. Really. Warm tone, very portable, and plenty enough clean volume to cope with my loud big band. Solid state Class D and mostly owned by jazzers so I doubt you'll have any problems with a second-hand one - if you can find one.

User Info Menu

You might want to check out this amp that's for sale by a fellow forumite from the UK :
    Evans RE200 uk sale £550

User Info Menu

What settings are you using with the Mustang? If you haven't already tried, I suggest using the BF Deluxe Reverb model with bass and treble both turned all the way down, gain up about halfway, and either no effects at all or a spring reverb preset. That's usually a good starting point for a warm clean tone with Fender modeling amps.