The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 83

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    One of the best sounding archtops I’ve ever played was a 50s Epiphone triumph. Not joking.
    Not necessarily the best sounding, but the absolutely loudest acoustic archtop I’ve ever played was a 1947 Epiphone Broadway. It was unreal, and I’ve played way more than a few acoustic archtops at this point, including some with huge, room filling volume. I didn’t get a chance to do a back to back, but I’m pretty sure it could best a Stromberg or even some crazy loud Emperors I’ve played. I don’t even think there are a lot of Macaferri style guitars that could beat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The great thing about going the vintage Epiphone route is the cost means I have time to look around as I build up my budget with bar gigs.

The time will also let me see how the big band thing works out. Like I said, I've only been to one rehearsal. Plenty of time for me to feel it out and decide if I need an amp or not.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Oh I'm certainly not saying it can't be fun. I'm saying that with a professional band, you're more likely to have players who understand dynamics and don't compete for space, more likely to have a leader who understands the guitar's different roles, more likely to be playing places with good acoustics, etc...

This is also not an absolute...there's some very unprofessional professionals out there..but I mean, have you heard Webby's clips? His band is SMOKING GOOD.
    Thanks Jeff!
    You haven't heard the Bands I started out with though!

Anyway, there's no point in not just trying it out! Telling your bandmates that "this is as loud as it'll get" might motivate them to get the dynamics right!
    This is just something I'm really passionate about! There's soooo much fun to be had with this kind of playing.

Paul

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Webby

Anyway, there's no point in not just trying it out! Telling your bandmates that "this is as loud as it'll get" might motivate them to get the dynamics right!

Paul
    That's the best answer right there, really.

User Info Menu

Yeah Webby, that’s basically my plan. Show up to a rehearsal without an amp and just go for it.

While I have your attention…. Any tips for navigating charts out at home practice besides just playing them over and over?

User Info Menu

More cool guitars I plan to sell that are under $1,500 and can easily have pickups attached (I don't even know if the pickup works, on the Höfner 459 below):

Attached Images Attached Images Acoustic Archtop Options-img_9672-jpg Acoustic Archtop Options-hof-463-s_9214-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 02-08-2024 at 06:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    More cool guitars I plan to sell that are under $1,500 and can easily have pickups attached:

Wait wait wait. I didn't realize you were pitching me sales.

User Info Menu

No worries. Some of us have a lot of extra acoustic archtops. Chuck is running a business and has some great guitars. I'm just downsizing after a life of collecting many more archtop guitars that I now want or need. The point is that there are lots or really nice older, high-quality acoustic archtop guitars out there for $1,500 or less.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 02-08-2024 at 08:37 PM.

User Info Menu

No worries. Some of us have a lot of extra acoustic archtops. Chuck is running a business and has some great guitars. I'm just downsizing after a life of collecting many more archtop guitars that I now want or need. The point is that there are lots or really nice older, high-quality acoustic archtop guitars out there for under $1,500.
    Which one would you say projects the most sound?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Which one would you say projects the most sound?
    Sheesh, now I need to find them and sort that out. To come....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    How far are the strings from the body? The Gretsch's I've played felt more like a solidbody or flattop than an archtop.

The same distance as a normal archtop. The G400 is an acoustic archtop model.

User Info Menu

This just popped up in the "Reverb feed" I didn't know I had:

Pre Owned The Loar LH-650 - Vintage Sunburst Inc. Case | Reverb

Bummer, it's in the UK but it looks like a good one (and those original cases are surprisingly good from what I heard).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    This just popped up in the "Reverb feed" I didn't know I had:

Pre Owned The Loar LH-650 - Vintage Sunburst Inc. Case | Reverb

Bummer, it's in the UK but it looks like a good one (and those original cases are surprisingly good from what I heard).
    Nice guitar. The case is very good. I have one for my 700. It would be a real pain if the perimeter zip broke though.

User Info Menu

I’ve admittedly never played a Loar LH-650, but I’ve played many L-4C example on which it appears based. I’ve never played an L-4C that had the cut and power for acoustic big band style work, so I would be very skeptical that this Loar model would have the stuff to do it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    It would be a real pain if the perimeter zip broke though.
    Certainly, as with any gigbag btw. Repairing would probably cost more than getting a new case/bag (and with the Loar original case that would be impossible. I know, I tried - mine came without case.)

User Info Menu

Certainly, as with any gigbag btw. Repairing would probably cost more than getting a new case/bag (and with the Loar original case that would be impossible. I know, I tried - mine came without case.)
    My MIL could re zip a gig bag but possibly not the rigid Loar zip up case.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    I’ve never played an L-4C that had the cut and power for acoustic big band style work, so I would be very skeptical that this Loar model would have the stuff to do it.
    The 650 is a cut 600, and from what I always heard the 600/700 are modelled after the L5 (EDIT: the original, 16" L5 of course). The consensus elsewhere is that a cutaway doesn't have to alter the sound in any significant way so if a 600 or 700 is loud enough for the job the 650 shouldn't be far behind.

User Info Menu

The 650 is a cut 600, and from what I always heard the 600/700 are modelled after the L5 (EDIT: the original, 16" L5 of course). The consensus elsewhere is that a cutaway doesn't have to alter the sound in any significant way so if a 600 or 700 is loud enough for the job the 650 shouldn't be far behind.
    I don’t even come close to believing it. One could easily argue that the L-4C is a Florentine cutaway 16” L-5 based guitar. I’ve never played an L-4C that comes remotely close to a good 16” Gibson or Epiphone non-cut. I’ve also never played any Loar non-cut that could cut in that league either, FWIW.

User Info Menu

I’ve also never played any Loar non-cut that could cut in that league either, FWIW.
    There are a lot of 0s that hint at why no one should expect that either, FWIW.

Still talking about the original models, of course, the ones that were never built with the assumption they'd be used as e-guitars anyway.

User Info Menu

There are a lot of 0s that hint at why no one should expect that either, FWIW.

Still talking about the original models, of course, the ones that were never built with the assumption they'd be used as e-guitars anyway.
    It possible to get a vintage 16” Epiphone (granted not a Deluxe or Broadway) for not that much more than that Loar.

User Info Menu

Sheesh, now I need to find them and sort that out. To come....
    Take your time. I don't rush into things.

User Info Menu

Not necessarily the best sounding, but the absolutely loudest acoustic archtop I’ve ever played was a 1947 Epiphone Broadway. It was unreal, and I’ve played way more than a few acoustic archtops at this point, including some with huge, room filling volume. I didn’t get a chance to do a back to back, but I’m pretty sure it could best a Stromberg or even some crazy loud Emperors I’ve played. I don’t even think there are a lot of Macaferri style guitars that could beat it.

Hear, hear! For me, it was a customer's '49 Triumph Regent. The volume was exceptional.

'47 Blackstones, IME, also have exceptional volume.

User Info Menu

I bought my 1950 Epiphone Triumph for $1400.00 Admittedly a little beat and with a few repaired cracks but plays and sound great. I call it the BEAST!
    Thanks John
    Acoustic Archtop Options-dscn6767-jpg

User Info Menu

No financial interest, but this could work, albeit over budget:

Epiphone Zenith Arch Top Acoustic Guitar (1936) | RetroFret

User Info Menu

My dog got constipated and 3 vet trips, culminating to... manual extraction, took away my guitar budget.

C'est la vie