The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

so I’m looking into seriously buying my first gypsy jazz guitar, and the two that are on the table right now, is a studio model Barault, and the prospect of ordering a new Dupont MD 50. What I like about the Barault is the pliage, but I’m not just about the mahogany sides.
    the Dupont MD 50 is a standard with all the usual specs, but without the pliage.
    I want to make the most informed choice I can for my first gypsy jazz guitar because I want to keep it for a lifetime. Let me know your ladies and gentlemen,
    Last edited by KyOteSwing; 01-03-2024 at 09:50 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If you got the scratch, Dupont.

Personally, I don’t care for mahogany guitars, though I have no experience with Beraults.

User Info Menu

Just get a dupont.

User Info Menu

Yep, DuPont is the gold standard. I have had mine for 20 years now.

Thank U for the input… everyone I’ve spoken to seems to say the same thing about it, so that is what I’m gonna roll with. Appreciate the responses

I feel the same way. I think that Indian Rosewood is much more the classic “sound” that one is after when they go for a gypsy jazz guitar. That was one of my main reservations about the Barault, as nice of a guitar as it is.

User Info Menu

Did you end up buying new or used?

Quote Originally Posted by KyOteSwing View Post
    I feel the same way. I think that Indian Rosewood is much more the classic “sound” that one is after when they go for a gypsy jazz guitar. That was one of my main reservations about the Barault, as nice of a guitar as it is.

User Info Menu

Didn’t most all of the classic laminates have mahogany as a substrate? Curious if anyone knows how that layering of rosewood actually added to the sound?

User Info Menu

Few years ago I upgraded from a Asian built GJG and after playing several European and North American builds went with a 1998 Dupont MC-30 14. This model is a little different as it has solid Indian Rosewood back and sides. I'm the second owner, the first was a celebrity player. It's a outstanding instrument that's been around a campfire or 12.
    If you ever decide to sell your upgrade, as SS pointed out, the Dupont is going to be much easier to sell. Kind of the Gibson of GJG's.

DuPont MD 50 vs Barault Studio - Gypsy players which one would you choose and why?-98-dupont-jpg

User Info Menu

I have also owned a Dupont for 20 years. Mine is a standard MD50, with a Dupont Bigtone bridge/pickup. It’s a fantastic sounding guitar, very responsive and quite loud acoustically. I’m not crazy about the amplified sound of the Bigtone, but it does allow you to get a somewhat acceptable amplified sound at higher volumes and doesn’t seem to affect the acoustic qualities of the guitar. I bought mine for all the reasons mentioned in this thread. They seem to be an extremely popular and respected brand, and after owning one, I understand why. I have noticed recently that there don’t seem to be any new Duponts available at the regular GJG dealers in North America. Has there been a supply problem as of late? Also, there don’t seem to be any used ones in stock at the same dealers either, so I assume the demand exceeds the supply. These are good reasons to try and get into a Dupont if you are in the market for a GJG.
    Keith
    DuPont MD 50 vs Barault Studio - Gypsy players which one would you choose and why?-img_6315-jpg

User Info Menu

Both GJ dealers have been pretty light on stock in general the last few years. At one point you could buy directly from Dupont, if that's still the case that'd probably be the way to go. I'm looking at buying a Stringphonic (archtop, not Selmer style) in a few months and I'm buying directly from them instead of going through either dealer. It's faster and will come out a lot cheaper considering the current Yen exchange rate.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by olejason View Post
    Both GJ dealers have been pretty light on stock in general the last few years. At one point you could buy directly from Dupont, if that's still the case that'd probably be the way to go. I'm looking at buying a Stringphonic (archtop, not Selmer style) in a few months and I'm buying directly from them instead of going through either dealer. It's faster and will come out a lot cheaper considering the current Yen exchange rate.
    The Dupont website shows a large number of models with prices. It isn’t clear how to place an order, but I imagine it would be easy enough to do so if a buyer just contacted them. The list price for an MD50 is 3870€ including taxes. Not sure how much of that is VAT and if that would be deducted for a guitar being shipped outside of the Euro. It would also be fun to fly to France and pick it up in person, but I’m sure you would have to pay the VAT then.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup View Post
    The Dupont website shows a large number of models with prices. It isn’t clear how to place an order, but I imagine it would be easy enough to do so if a buyer just contacted them. The list price for an MD50 is 3870€ including taxes. Not sure how much of that is VAT and if that would be deducted for a guitar being shipped outside of the Euro. It would also be fun to fly to France and pick it up in person, but I’m sure you would have to pay the VAT then.
    Keith
    There is no VAT if it's shipped outside of Europe. You may or may not have to pay Customs fees though. I ordered a high end bass from Italy and never had to pay anything so I'm not real sure how it works. You're right about picking it up in person, you'd have to pay the VAT then. I think VAT in France is 20%.

From what I can recall that's still a decent savings over what either of the American dealers charge for them.

User Info Menu

I don't know how true the story is, however I heard there was some kind of labor dispute at the Dupont shop and it resulted in a slowdown of production. No timeframe was given, so this could have been years ago. Apparently over some working conditions.
    Could be totally fake news.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by olejason View Post
    There is no VAT if it's shipped outside of Europe. You may or may not have to pay Customs fees though. I ordered a high end bass from Italy and never had to pay anything so I'm not real sure how it works. You're right about picking it up in person, you'd have to pay the VAT then. I think VAT in France is 20%.

From what I can recall that's still a decent savings over what either of the American dealers charge for them.
    That’s my understanding as well. If you deduct the 20% VAT from the price on Dupont’s website, it would reduce the price from 3870€ to 3225€, which is about $3500 USD at today’s spot rate. Here in Canada, we would be required to pay duty and sales tax on an imported product that was made in France. I believe the same would apply to a buyer in the US. I haven’t looked up the duty rates, but I imagine duty and taxes would likely add up to about as much as the VAT savings. After that, plus shipping, it would likely end up costing $4000-$4500 to buy one from France and ship it to another country (depending on the actual import fees in your country). Since there aren’t any new ones for sale at US dealers, I’m not sure how that compares to what they would charge. If Michael at Djangobooks could sell one at a comparable price, that would be a safe way to go for anyone living in the US. I have had a few dealings with him and I was extremely happy with his customer service. However, if you live outside of the US, you would still be charged duty and taxes to import one from him, based on the country of origin (France).
    Keith

User Info Menu

Duties & Customs charges in the US are kind of a crapshoot. Sometimes you'll get hit with fees and sometimes you won't. The rate itself depends on the country of origin. I ordered a $4k bass from Italy a few years ago which should have incurred fees but I never received a bill for anything. On the other hand I ordered a $200 gamba from China and had to pay fees.