The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

so I’m looking into seriously buying my first gypsy jazz guitar, and the two that are on the table right now, is a studio model Barault, and the prospect of ordering a new Dupont MD 50. What I like about the Barault is the pliage, but I’m not just about the mahogany sides.
    the Dupont MD 50 is a standard with all the usual specs, but without the pliage.
    I want to make the most informed choice I can for my first gypsy jazz guitar because I want to keep it for a lifetime. Let me know your ladies and gentlemen,
    Last edited by KyOteSwing; 01-03-2024 at 09:50 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If you got the scratch, Dupont.

Personally, I don’t care for mahogany guitars, though I have no experience with Beraults.

User Info Menu

Just get a dupont.

User Info Menu

Yep, DuPont is the gold standard. I have had mine for 20 years now.

Thank U for the input… everyone I’ve spoken to seems to say the same thing about it, so that is what I’m gonna roll with. Appreciate the responses

I feel the same way. I think that Indian Rosewood is much more the classic “sound” that one is after when they go for a gypsy jazz guitar. That was one of my main reservations about the Barault, as nice of a guitar as it is.

User Info Menu

Did you end up buying new or used?

Quote Originally Posted by KyOteSwing
    I feel the same way. I think that Indian Rosewood is much more the classic “sound” that one is after when they go for a gypsy jazz guitar. That was one of my main reservations about the Barault, as nice of a guitar as it is.